Do You Have a DVR/TiVo

Do You Have a DVR/TiVo

• Total voters

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
I've gotten to the point where I just assume that everyone (except Claire) has a DVR. But after reading a few posts here and there about missing sporting events, or watching one thing instead of another, I'm curious about what percentage of THP'ers actually have a DVR.

I've gotten to the point where I just assume that everyone (except Claire) has a DVR. But after reading a few posts here and there about missing sporting events, or watching one thing instead of another, I'm curious about what percentage of THP'ers actually have a DVR.

Asked and answered, apparently.

No poll? I was thinking about starting an innie/outie one, only because every other conceivable poll seems already to have been created.

Edit: Okay, now there's a poll. Guess that leaves me with bellybuttons after all.

My brother and I both have them and love them. My Dad, who adores football more than any person should, doesn't have one. He hates it when over at my house and I pause the TV or rewind to see a play again (he's sooooo jelous, but too cheap to cough up the $5 a month or so it costs to add one :D)

I don't think my wife and I could survive without it. It's gotten to the point that we will sit on the couch and stare at the wall to allow enough of a show to tape so we do not have to watch commercials.

We actually have 2 of them. Bedroom and Living room. The other 2 rooms with TVs just have regular HD boxes. However the living room dvr in the new house is a multiroom so we can watch the recorded shows on every tv. Still keeping a separate DVR in the bedroom for those nights when 3 shows are on that we want to record.

We are like Sir Shanksalot. We will wait til the show is 15 minutes in so that we can watch uninterupted.

So... I always thought a DVR and Tivo were two different things. Does this mean they're the same?

So... I always thought a DVR and Tivo were two different things. Does this mean they're the same?
Good grief.

TiVo is a brand name for a type of DVR service. DVR (Digital Video Recorder) is the generic term.

Good grief.

TiVo is a brand name for a type of DVR service. DVR (Digital Video Recorder) is the generic term.

Ya know, Sweetie--not everyone is quite as enamored of electronica as are you.

You use a VCR don't you?

I still have 2, in fact my DVD player has one built in. No use for a DVR as there is absolutely nothing on tv so important that I simply must record it.

there is absolutely nothing on tv so important that I simply must record it.

No, but it makes life easier and more fun.

My point was that if Claire uses a VCR to record programs (she does), then she can't use the "technology" defense. There is a reason they don't make or sell blank videotapes for VCRs any more.

Even I have a DVR I can still miss shows. Often I forget to set the DVR. I will miss the first show in a series in many cases because of this.

We have a DVR in the game room where our sons watch most off their TV, and a "whole house" DVR in the living room, where we can watch recorded shows eitherr in the living room or from the bedroom.

I have two at home, thinking of getting one for the garage and one in each of my offices. I dont think I could live without one.

Nope,nada,zero ziltch. No plans on getting one either.My life doesn't revolve around watching TV and if I miss one of the three shows I do watch,no biggie

Nope,nada,zero ziltch. No plans on getting one either.My life doesn't revolve around watching TV and if I miss one of the three shows I do watch,no biggie

QFT. Plus these days you can always catch an episode on the web anyway......

Actually, aside from monday night, and certain team football games, plus a little MMA and the odd show or two, I spend more time typing on here than I do watching TV. However every so often I will binge on tv and watch 2 days straight for fun.

I use it a lot, time shifting is great, just make sure no one tells you the score of the game before you get to see it. I don't watch dramas or comedy or any of the other mind numbing trash that is on TV these days, I mostly just watch sports, some military channel and history.

You use a VCR don't you?

Okay, let's rephrase. I have a technology that works for me and has for a long time. My brain gets tired of new gadgets. My grocery store still sells blank tapes.

Though with the kids, I'm going to have to start keeping up again.

Yep, have one and love it. There are several different shows we'll watch, and all of them are set to record anytime a "new" episode plays. With the DVR, I don't have to worry about being home in time to watch them, and can do the "15 minute late start" to FF through the commercials.

Not yet. I seem to be able to not miss the shows I like. And if I do I catch them online

We have two.

To me, the DVR easily ranks in the top ten in the "Best Inventions" category.

It has become a habit now to record just about everything I'd like to watch so that I can buzz past the commercials and the inane "yak yak" and actually watch the program or event itself.

One of my proudest "accomplishments" was watching all of Super Bowl XXXXIII without having to endure a single commercial or the halftime show. Not only that, but I "caught up" to the game in real time just as the Steelers began their final drive so I was "in the moment" when it counted the most.

When it comes to watching golf, I can breeze past not only the commercials but the insipid interviews, the "puff pieces", the "tech-talk" and of course the dreaded "Corporate Sponsor's Interview" (can't they just write one script and just sign different names to it since they all say the same thing?) as well as the analysis and the "When YOU hit your approach on twelve" demo's (as if I'm ever going to actually play any of these courses).

What's left is just pure golf and it's actually quite sad to realize just how little of THAT is actually covered.

All I can say is: "Thank God for DVR's!"

-JP

We NEVER watch a show live anymore. And by show I mean actual tv shows not sports. I always watch my sports live. Either we watch it after the fact or like JB said we wait at least 15 minutes in and then start it. DVR's are the best!

Too cheap to pay for the upgraded cable or dish plan. Just have regular cable running through the TV. We do get the network digital feed over-the-air, so most of the sporting events come in clean.

This probably should be a rant of the day, but (once again) I blame Harry.

Well, first I blame Comcast. I had my nice television/VCR setup in the basement so I could watch recorded shows while I'm on the elliptical in the morning. Then Comcast went to HD and we had to get a cable box in there.

Suddenly, no matter which way I wired the thing, I couldn't record. Missed the opening weeks of every single television show this season.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a DVR. Called Comcast. The only way to get one was to drive to the nearest (a relative, not an absolute term) bill payment center with my cable box and turn it in for a DVR.

So I did yesterday. I haven't seen that much bulletproof glass since the south side of Chicago. They hand me a bag with a DVR, some wires, and almost no instructions. It wasn't until I got home that I realized there was also no remote.

What's the point of a DVR with no remote? I managed to record a show, but now I have to watch the commercials. I found a Comcast remote upstairs that sort of works on the DVR downstairs, but I still can't quite figure it out.

Comcast gets a piece of my mind tomorrow. It was all working just fine--why go screw it all up?

This probably should be a rant of the day, but (once again) I blame Harry.

Well, first I blame Comcast. I had my nice television/VCR setup in the basement so I could watch recorded shows while I'm on the elliptical in the morning. Then Comcast went to HD and we had to get a cable box in there.

Suddenly, no matter which way I wired the thing, I couldn't record. Missed the opening weeks of every single television show this season.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a DVR. Called Comcast. The only way to get one was to drive to the nearest (a relative, not an absolute term) bill payment center with my cable box and turn it in for a DVR.

So I did yesterday. I haven't seen that much bulletproof glass since the south side of Chicago. They hand me a bag with a DVR, some wires, and almost no instructions. It wasn't until I got home that I realized there was also no remote.

What's the point of a DVR with no remote? I managed to record a show, but now I have to watch the commercials. I found a Comcast remote upstairs that sort of works on the DVR downstairs, but I still can't quite figure it out.

Comcast gets a piece of my mind tomorrow. It was all working just fine--why go screw it all up?

Your TV has to have a video out signal to go to your VCR from the TV and you can only record what you are watching at the time. You can't do this with newer TVs. The cable and satellite TV folks and the TV manufacturers have colluded to make it more difficult to keep the recordings, they want to sell you the DVDs or BluRays.

Back