Votes: 39 69.6%
  • Sometimes. I'll explain.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I don't tip anyone.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Why should I?

Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters
I don’t think I have ever tipped a fitter. I may have but I don’t recall doing it. I have tipped instructors before though.

So even though you know how to drive yourself, when you don't have the tools to do it you'll pay someone else to do it. And tip them on top the required fee for it. Basically every time.

Same with haircuts?
I wouldn’t say that’s necessarily my criteria. It’s more around if the person is more heavily reliant on tips as part of their income - gig workers, servers, etc. In the case of Uber or Lyft, I think they typically get a very small portion of the fare and don’t make any kind of hourly wage.

I do tip for haircuts as it tends to dal into the above. I’m guessing fitters don’t fit into this category and are either salaried or have a decent base hourly wage, but could very well be wrong.

I don't have a fitter

There wasn't a tip line on my receipt so didn't event cross my mind.

So you tip your Uber/Lyft?

I tip Uber/Lyft drivers (if they do a good job) because I know their corporation is taking most of the fee.

Pro tip: Always tip your hairdresser a ridiculous amount. You'll get priority appointments.

I tip Uber/Lyft drivers (if they do a good job) because I know their corporation is taking most of the fee.

Pro tip: Always tip your hairdresser a ridiculous amount. You'll get priority appointments.
So if a fitter doesn't own his/her own shop or club company, do they still get the whole fee?

I haven’t tipped the fitter I’ve used in the past. He is the owner and his hourly rate seems sufficient for the service.

I’m my own hair cutter so no gratuity. Not even a finder’s fee.

So if a fitter doesn't own his/her own shop or club company, do they still get the whole fee?

I'm sure they don't, but I would think the margin kept would be less than Uber/Lyft and you can still make a decent living.

I never have. I've typically paid for it, so never thought about tipping. This makes me think about it though now.

It wouldn’t even cross my mind to do this. I’m not saying I’m right or wrong. I just wouldn’t have thought I should.

On the whole, I would not. I always tip when it comes to food service, because most restaurants pay their a very low wage, expecting them to make it up in tips. If you get a bad shift it could really impact their ability to make a living. Sure there are plenty of commission based jobs that can be argued to be the same, but that’s just where I choose to draw the line. Not that you have my answer, I’m just going to ask you a few questions. IMG_9638.jpeg

I have never even thought about it. Each time I know the fitting was done by a salaried employee and was always complimentary. They might have earned a commission of a club if I ordered at the time but that never was mentioned or even crossed my mind.

Typically don't but selected 'Sometimes/Explain'. Last 'fitting' went real quick, (was just to optimize my bag from my 7i to 3F) so fitter offered to charge me less. I opted to pay full price instead since he'd done other things unasked while we were chatting (inspect/adjust loft, lie, grooves, and grips on my whole bag, etc...).

I gave my fitter a tip. I went into the store on a slow day. It wasn't a true fitting. Just figuring out which stock shaft worked so it didn't take too long. I was expecting and offered to pay for the fitting and the simulator time, but he said not to worry about it. So I gave him something for his time.

It never even crossed my mind. I have a lot of tip fatigue though, anyplace you go here is always asking for another 20%.

No but the last one was working on commission from the sale and I paid for the fitting and I was happy with the results.

No, BUT, I went to an independent fitter once and when he sent my invoice for the clubs I ordered, I added a little more to it.

Recently went for a driver fitting fully expecting to buy a new PXG model. Fitter advised he couldn't put together one better than one I had. So I slipped him a C note for his honesty.

IMO, it depends on the type of fitting.

My current fitter runs a custom club shot and charges a healthy fee for a fitting. I don't tip him as I feel like he's charging a set hourly rate commensurate with his skill/experience.

If it was a really good fitting from somebody who was a staff fitter, especially if the fee was at a lower than market rate, then I would consider tipping them for exceptional service.

From my days as a fitter (few years) I got a handful of tips, but truly never expected them. Did work for a fitter where we received commission which was a nice bump, but I never let it lead my fittings to try and "upsell" or put someone in something more expensive. I'll forever be a what works best fitter over cost.

Maybe it's a me thing but I got the most satisfaction out of the gains a player would get from the fitting and them playing better golf. I would rather have the relationship continue after their clubs came. Loved watching people get better from something I could impact.

I have. Not as a rule, but I tend to tip things like this if I'm able to in the moment. And now I'm really confused where that puts me on the scale of people on this. 😆
So I have had 3 paid fittings (and tomorrow is another), I will not be purchasing clubs (at tomorrow's fitting). The Wilson AI fitting is supposed to be relatively pain free and fast, maybe I can get some putter fitting time in the blocked session.

Anyway, knowing all this upfront and the fitting charge - about $125, what it the criteria - is tipping the fitter customary? Is slipping him or her a $10 or $20 reasonable - for a good fit? If my fitter is a different person (it is) do I seek out the last one and give him a $10/$20 as well? Some of this is more serious than it may appear.

So I am curious.

EDIT: Taking @Thrillbilly Jim 's lead, I am going to bring a dozen doughnuts for the shop with me, the rest will depend on the charges and if they let me take some photos of stuff. I tend to get really quickly overwhelmed with data at fittings and forget stuff, so tomorrow I will talk to the fitter about all that I can think of (for sharing in the Wilson thread). Doughnuts and maybe a cash tip - when they realize no clubs will be sold so no commission for that - all makes some sense.

Last edited:
All of my fittings are organized by my club so i don't tip, and i order a ton of stuff through our pro shop so they get their money's worth

If i did it through a local place, i still probably wouldn't

Honestly tipping is getting a bit out of control and i'm this close to going full blown Mr Pink
Have not ever heard a Mr Pink reference - you sir get bonus points for that. Not to mention the really nice golf bag.

Back