Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
End of day conversation about tipping a hairdresser (and didn't even like the cut) has me curious about this.

It kind of veered off into professions that get tipped and don't and why, and it was pretty interesting where it landed.

I have. Not as a rule, but I tend to tip things like this if I'm able to in the moment. And now I'm really confused where that puts me on the scale of people on this. 😆

Maybe if I’m not planning on buying anything I would tip but if I’m buying, I think of the commission as a kind of tip.

I might be off, but that’s just my line of thinking on this

I never once thought to tip my fitter. To me when I am thinking about tipping it's to offset a service where the individual is earning a low hourly wage or is on some sort of gig job. I assume (wrong or right) a club fitter is being paid a decent wage regardless of the fitting or the experience.

All of my fittings are organized by my club so i don't tip, and i order a ton of stuff through our pro shop so they get their money's worth

If i did it through a local place, i still probably wouldn't

Honestly tipping is getting a bit out of control and i'm this close to going full blown Mr Pink

Does a hug count?

I never once thought to tip my fitter. To me when I am thinking about tipping it's to offset a service where the individual is earning a low hourly wage or is on some sort of gig job. I assume (wrong or right) a club fitter is being paid a decent wage regardless of the fitting or the experience.
Yes, this is also a good point and a lot about how I view tipping as well. I definitely do not care to do it in those situations where I’m offsetting this person making a living wage. I don’t like it, but that’s the world we live in.

So you tip your Uber/Lyft?

I would say yes. Everyone can use a hug here and there. Can't put a price on that!
I bet GP never got a hug from Phil. 😂

I would say yes. Everyone can use a hug here and there. Can't put a price on that!
Oh yeah. Everyone loves a good acquaintance hug in these post COVID days. 😆

Sick Get Away GIF by Rooster Teeth

I have tipped fitters and instructors. I haven't done that every time, but when I get meaningful service and help, I am happy to provide a little extra. I also like to randomly bring treats and things, making a point to stop by and just chit chat a bit. Around here the people working in the golf industry work massive hours and do not make much money. I value having local expertise to tap into and want to do my part to support them. Plus I just plain like most of them as people.

This sums up how I think about it.

So you tip your Uber/Lyft?
I do tip them.

Nope. They set their fee and I pay it. I don't tip my golf coaches either for the same reason.

I tipped my fitter. I also brought in donuts and biscuits to the whole shop as a thank you for all of their help.

Yes, this is also a good point and a lot about how I view tipping as well. I definitely do not care to do it in those situations where I’m offsetting this person making a living wage. I don’t like it, but that’s the world we live in.
I get it and there is the thought of "you chose this job knowing the wage" but as a person who bartended through college, I appreciate the service industry and I have a soft spot for them but I will not reward crappy service also

This sums up how I think about it.

I do tip them.
So even though you know how to drive yourself, when you don't have the tools to do it you'll pay someone else to do it. And tip them on top the required fee for it. Basically every time.

Same with haircuts?

I guess I would consider it if I felt the service outweighed the price paid. That hasn’t been an issue so far.

For the record I'm honestly just really mad at my wife about the hairdresser thing. Because from my eyes it's like this - you mean you tipped this woman so I have to hear about this bad haircut our entire trip?? That's what you're telling me?!

😆

And then it turned into a group convo with a bunch of golf people about who gets tipped and who doesn't.

Oh yeah. Everyone loves a good acquaintance hug in these post COVID days. 😆

Sick Get Away GIF by Rooster Teeth

I'm not sure why we're just gonna automatically rule out being more than friends with your fitter.

I need a tip jar

I need a tip jar
Thing could probably pay for an experience or two by this point.

Also, do you tip for haircuts?

I tipped after my last haircut. She did a good job - quick, personable, good result. I was told that a tip is kind of expected after a haircut.

Never put much thought into tipping after a fitting. Probably because I haven’t been in that situation yet.

And I wouldn’t have tipped immediately because I thought their fee was for that service, but I can see where the similarities are.

Back