Detroit Style Pizza

Keep an eye on Pizza Hut. As @amarkabove said, they did a Detroit Style for a while that was actually really good, maybe they'll bring it back at some point.
IMO it was better than other Pizza Hut products but was not a very good example of Detroit Style.

Sounds like I'd prefer Sicilian too, if it's the same as Detroit but less sauce and more cheese. I do love the crust on Detroit Style, though!
It’s not the same. Crust is different

I can't say I've ever had this style of pizza. I like deep dish and but not sure it was "Detroit Style"

Never had it, but it does look good. I need to have some one day!!

I had to go get a couple of Motor City Pizzas before the UM game. Thought they just made a pepperoni one but found out they make a three meat and a supreme!
Do you mean the frozen ones that you can buy in the supermarket? They are available here and I have to admit to being a bit intrigued. I'm always up for trying something new. If I don't care for the product or the style it's not the end of the world. I normally won't do that because we have so many indy, local pizza outfits here, why bother with store bought or chain franchises?
I live in the wrong damn place. We have a Pizza Hut and a Domino's. No other pizza options. You guys are killing me and I'm here for it.
Well, here's what you need to do. Go to Detroit and learn how to make Detroit style pizza. Then come to the Youngstown/Warren area of Ohio and learn to make the pizza we have around here, Brier Hill, sicilian, white. Then, I suppose you'll have to head to NYC and learn to make the floppy, flaccid stuff they have there. I guess you could go to Chicage if you want. Then, return to Oklahoma, open a pizza shop, one at first, and start a pizza revolution in the Sooner state! Soon the state will be carpeted with your shops since you've kicked Pizza Hut's and Domino's a**es out of there! Statues are erected honoring you, and you become the billionaire owner of the Oklahoma City Thunder and spend the rest of your life trying to win an NBA championship!

Hey, life is not a bowl of cherries.

Could anyone else besides me tell that I found a really good bottle of bourbon earlier today?

Do you mean the frozen ones that you can buy in the supermarket? They are available here and I have to admit to being a bit intrigued. I'm always up for trying something new. If I don't care for the product or the style it's not the end of the world. I normally won't do that because we have so many indy, local pizza outfits here, why bother with store bought or chain franchises?

Well, here's what you need to do. Go to Detroit and learn how to make Detroit style pizza. Then come to the Youngstown/Warren area of Ohio and learn to make the pizza we have around here, Brier Hill, sicilian, white. Then, I suppose you'll have to head to NYC and learn to make the floppy, flaccid stuff they have there. I guess you could go to Chicage if you want. Then, return to Oklahoma, open a pizza shop, one at first, and start a pizza revolution in the Sooner state! Soon the state will be carpeted with your shops since you've kicked Pizza Hut's and Domino's a**es out of there! Statues are erected honoring you, and you become the billionaire owner of the Oklahoma City Thunder and spend the rest of your life trying to win an NBA championship!

Hey, life is not a bowl of cherries.

Could anyone else besides me tell that I found a really good bottle of bourbon earlier today?
I've had the frozen Motor City Pizza. It's... okay. Doesn't really get the crust right at all. However this past week we found a Detroit Style Degirno and it was much, much better.

Then come to the Youngstown/Warren area of Ohio and learn to make the pizza we have around here, Brier Hill, sicilian, white.

If I recall correctly "The Pizza" was number 6 on my top ten reasons to move away from NE Ohio!

I kid - but just a bit. I'll give you Bier Hill - for sure. I've found nothing like it in my travels ...

Go Hubbard Eagles!

Keep an eye on Pizza Hut. As @amarkabove said, they did a Detroit Style for a while that was actually really good, maybe they'll bring it back at some point.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

If I recall correctly "The Pizza" was number 6 on my top ten reasons to move away from NE Ohio!

I kid - but just a bit. I'll give you Bier Hill - for sure. I've found nothing like it in my travels ...

Go Hubbard Eagles!
IIRC, the football team had a down year this year. They've been really good the past few years. The thing is Hubbard isn't really known for pizza, or anything else really, other than a nice quiet town to live in. It can be a little spotty. In Austintown you have Wedgewood, Westgate, Ianazones and several others. Pizza Joes is weird. they have so many outlets in the area that one store can make awesome pizza and the next makes garbage. I was working one night with my buddy at his parent's old place replacing all the breakers in the box. We have the main shut off so we're wearing headlamps. He gets a call from his wife saying she has pizza for us out in her car. I take the first bite and it is incredible. One of the most delicious pizzas I've ever tasted.

I asked her where she got it and she said "Pizza Joes". I was flabbergasted and asked her which one. It was the store in North Lima. His folks place in in south Mahoning Co. There was a Pizza Joes in New Middletown that made such hideous pizza they went out of business. That's the thing with franchise deals. I've also heard the North Lima Pizza is fantastic. One store, one proprietor. I live on the west side of Youngstown so that's a smidge of a hike for a pizza. If I'm in the area and hungry, I'll be sure to stop in.

I do really enjoy Detroit style pizza. I bought a pan and have made it myself. It is serviceable, but nowhere near the real deal.

IIRC, the football team had a down year this year. They've been really good the past few years. The thing is Hubbard isn't really known for pizza, or anything else really, other than a nice quiet town to live in. It can be a little spotty. In Austintown you have Wedgewood, Westgate, Ianazones and several others.
The pizza in Hubbard was atrocious. In hindsight - of course. And it was an extremely boring place to grow up. I left as soon as I realized I was allowed too....

We had Pizza Works, Pat's and Don Vee's - all terrible. I'd go to Brookfield to get my favorite pie in H.S. at Brookfield Pizza on old 82 - just up from Valley View. I thought it was awesome. Came back to town after being in the Navy for several years - and took my new brothers in-law (one from NY and one from TN) out to Brookfield to show them what real pizza was like. Apparentl;y it was only good in my memory. That was embarassing ...

Wedgewood, Cornersburg, etc all meh.

But again - a Brier Hill pizza from St. Anthony's during lent? The real deal ....

Know it well. It's a 5 minute drive from my house.

6E77B2EE-0A87-43AE-8A60-5C648C0B930C.jpeg

IMG_4121.jpeg
🤤

The most underrated style of pizza

It is very underrated.

Ohio Valley pizza doesn’t get enough love. But it’s a love hate thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 8
We ordered Detroit Pizza from Buddy's, in Detroit, through Goldbelly.

Amongst just the view of myself and the Mrs, it was, quite resoundingly, a huge fail.

Blech.

We threw away the remaining portion of that prepared pie. The two others? We gave those to our nephews and nieces. They liked them very much, fwiw. But kids don't know jack.

As for us? Never again.

Back