Detroit Style Pizza

it is very good, I like the "burnt cheese crusty corners". You do have to get used to lukewarm sauce topping though.

I had to go get a couple of Motor City Pizzas before the UM game. Thought they just made a pepperoni one but found out they make a three meat and a supreme!

Too much bread for me. Makes me feel like I’m eating a cake not a pizza. Or a pizza flavored cake.

I prefer thin NY style.
Thin crust is my favorite. Once a pizza crust gets described as thick and chewy, I’m looking at something else.

I had friend in High School who's dad owned a Pizza Parlor. They made a Detroit style pizza but it was called Sicilian Style. I've yet to have Pizza sauce that was better in my life. It was rumored that he was offered 1 Million dollars for the recipe and he turned it down (no idea of this is true or not). All I know is that when I go back and visit family, it's a "will not leave without visiting" kind of thing. LOVE Sicilian (Detroit) Style Pizza. :love:

I had friend in High School who's dad owned a Pizza Parlor. They made a Detroit style pizza but it was called Sicilian Style. I've yet to have Pizza sauce that was better in my life. It was rumored that he was offered 1 Million dollars for the recipe and he turned it down (no idea of this is true or not). All I know is that when I go back and visit family, it's a "will not leave without visiting" kind of thing. LOVE Sicilian (Detroit) Style Pizza. :love:
Detroit and Sicilian are different.

Is this pizza parlor near me by any chance? I need to try this it sounds like.

Is this pizza parlor near me by any chance? I need to try this it sounds like.
They have one in Lander Wyoming and Driggs Idaho. The place is called Tony's Pizza. ;)

They have one in Lander Wyoming and Driggs Idaho. The place is called Tony's Pizza. ;)
Guess it depends on your definition of "near me". I will be in Driggs soon if it doesn't start snowing here though.

Detroit and Sicilian are different.
Interesting. I had no idea. I just assumed that the the referral to type was the shape. Flexing my ignorance I googled and one pf the first differences that came up was that the crust was different and that Sicilian uses more cheese and Detroit uses more sauce. I wouldn't turn down a Detroit Pizza (I don't really turn down any pizza) but I guess my preference would be Sicilian (probably the nostalgic factor).

agree!

Do Chicago and Detroit styles have the sauce on top or is it one or the other?

Update, it seems that they closed their doors in 2022. Such a bummer. I've been eating thee since I was 14.

The original owner was Bruce Gresley. He was the local swim team coach. I think it went to his oldest son after that. His youngest son (my friend) dies several years ago from, basically, being a chronic alcoholic. Sad end to an era.

Looks like the Driggs location is closed, also. :(

• Sad
Reactions: Bus
Norm’s - located in Buffalo.

Norm is an ass but the pizza is phenomenal!
Nice. I know the place and drive right by it on every once in a while so will have to remember to grab some pizza for takeout

I live in the wrong damn place. We have a Pizza Hut and a Domino's. No other pizza options. You guys are killing me and I'm here for it.

Nice. I know the place and drive right by it on every once in a while so will have to remember to grab some pizza for takeout
Let me know if and when you're around town this golf season and we'll find time to tee it up at either Wild Marsh or Fox Hollow.

I live in the wrong damn place. We have a Pizza Hut and a Domino's. No other pizza options. You guys are killing me and I'm here for it.
Pizza Hut had a Detroit Style for a little bit that was a decent representation of the style. Not sure if they kept it on the menu though.

Maybe I need to try this someday.

Only thing worse would be a Papa John’s 🤣

Let me know if and when you're around town this golf season and we'll find time to tee it up at either Wild Marsh or Fox Hollow.
For sure. Both are convenient for me as I am in the west metro.

I had to go get a couple of Motor City Pizzas before the UM game. Thought they just made a pepperoni one but found out they make a three meat and a supreme!
And the Supreme is very good…. FYI.

Interesting. I had no idea. I just assumed that the the referral to type was the shape. Flexing my ignorance I googled and one pf the first differences that came up was that the crust was different and that Sicilian uses more cheese and Detroit uses more sauce. I wouldn't turn down a Detroit Pizza (I don't really turn down any pizza) but I guess my preference would be Sicilian (probably the nostalgic factor).
Sounds like I'd prefer Sicilian too, if it's the same as Detroit but less sauce and more cheese. I do love the crust on Detroit Style, though!

Keep an eye on Pizza Hut. As @amarkabove said, they did a Detroit Style for a while that was actually really good, maybe they'll bring it back at some point.

Back