Cobra DARKSPEED Irons

Maybe its just me but these don't seem to be getting a lot of attention or discussion.I'm very curious as to why. I haven't tested them myself yet but I will soon.

I keep looking at them but haven't pulled the trigger. I'll probably grab a 6i to play around with.

Maybe its just me but these don't seem to be getting a lot of attention or discussion.I'm very curious as to why. I haven't tested them myself yet but I will soon.
Do you think a large part of the onus is on the typical aspirational golfer? I immediately gravitate toward something like the King Tour because they fall in the same category as the irons I've played for a long while, causing me to look right past something like the Darkspeed irons even if I could stand to benefit from them. The look, feel, sound, and ball speed I experienced with these blew me away, but would I have paid them the same attention if my situation was different (and the Morgan Cup wasn't in my future)? I honestly believe a large percentage of golfers would be pleasantly surprised if they were to give these a solid look.

I snapped up SW-5 one length on a whim coming from Srixon Zx5 mk2s. I hit each club a full club longer and have tighter dispersion(less spin because of game improvement??).

On my first day getting them I set a PR in GSPro SGT tourney off blue tees on Riviera. The score was 82. To give an example of how good that is for me I only broke 100 twice last year(first year picking up golf).

Do you think a large part of the onus is on the typical aspirational golfer? I immediately gravitate toward something like the King Tour because they fall in the same category as the irons I've played for a long while, causing me to look right past something like the Darkspeed irons even if I could stand to benefit from them. The look, feel, sound, and ball speed I experienced with these blew me away, but would I have paid them the same attention if my situation was different (and the Morgan Cup wasn't in my future)? I honestly believe a large percentage of golfers would be pleasantly surprised if they were to give these a solid look.
Personally I don't think one should purchase irons in the hopes they will make you a better golfer. Try everything and see what works, you might be surprised thats what I tell people. I'm not an elite ball striker by any means but I have preferences like everyone else. A couple years ago I played "game improvement" irons for a whole season. It was quite fun hitting the ball as far as I was and can honestly say my scores didn't really change much, the only thing that changed was the number on the bottom of the iron I was hitting.

Personally I don't think one should purchase irons in the hopes they will make you a better golfer. Try everything and see what works, you might be surprised thats what I tell people. I'm not an elite ball striker by any means but I have preferences like everyone else. A couple years ago I played "game improvement" irons for a whole season. It was quite fun hitting the ball as far as I was and can honestly say my scores didn't really change much, the only thing that changed was the number on the bottom of the iron I was hitting.
I don't disagree. At all. I'm definitely not saying my thought processes are correct, but just recognizing they exist. I think there are so many options out there that, at least at times, it seems impossible to know what to remove from my short list (since I can't hit everything out there), so I tend to remove lines from contention for less than justifiable reasons. I'm a slow learner, so it wasn't until last season that I began looking at equipment to make my game easier and more enjoyable.

Man, just easy speed that feels really good. It was tough to describe the difference in feel compared to my Copper King Tec irons and that’s a compliment here.

View attachment 9237402
That says a lot for the DarkSpeeds. Let’s say you now have my attention

Darkspeed 6 iron came today. Such a nice finish in person. Love the look of these irons. My Skytrak wasn’t charged so couldn’t get any numbers but put on some impact tape and slight toe shots feel like center face contact.

View attachment 9238765
View attachment 9238766
View attachment 9238769
View attachment 9238770
View attachment 9238771
Darkspeed 6 iron came today. Such a nice finish in person. Love the look of these irons. My Skytrak wasn’t charged so couldn’t get any numbers but put on some impact tape and slight toe shots feel like center face contact.

View attachment 9238765
View attachment 9238766
View attachment 9238769
View attachment 9238770
View attachment 9238771
Everything about these look spectacular.

Order a 7i with my standard specs to see how it compared to my gamers. No. It's a smaller head than I expected, but for my swing speed, it does not perform as good as those in the bag - T350's. Spin is a little better, but distance, even with the stronger lofts, is 5 - 10 yards shorter for me. Feel is nice, but I can't sacrifice the distance.
Size comparison to the 350s.

Well on a whim today I ordered some one length darkspeeds today. I have been thinking one length for a while and with these just launching it was an easy choice. Can't wait to try the switch. Just makes sense in my mind to learn one swing length/plane for my irons
Can’t wait to read your thoughts.

In hand I maintain this is one of the best finishes on this segment of irons
How do you think it will hold up?

Went for a full bag fitting today and my Darkspeed irons recommendation from the fitter came out to be 6 - GW Darkspeed 2 degrees flat 1 degree strong, -1/4" in length. Started out hitting my irons to get a baseline, then went to the Darkspeed where the fitter immediately went to the 2 degrees flat which corrected my going left problem. Hitting a number of 7 irons I was consistently flying them around 145 yards, which my AJ's I would say were my 135 - 140 yard club last year, so a solid increase. Fitter recommend going 1 degree strong to get the launch down a touch. Absolutely love the look and feel of these. We were talking about my current setup which is the 6-GW in one length and he agreed that I don't have the speed to do the 6 iron, and the extra length of the regular 6 iron would work out great for it. Really fun day, and can't wait til it's time to order for the Morgan Cup.
Solid info thanks

In some cases I don't think the "game improvement" part is the problem. When I saw them I didn't find them to be large at all and to be fair neither were the Aerojet really, not for the tech packed in there. I just think they just don't strike the fancy of many internet golfers haha
My theory is that this segment of irons is on the downhill slide of the rollercoaster. The segment being: game improvement irons tied to a driver release. I have nothing to back that up of course, other than my impression of general interest on forums lol. I think it's less the "internet golfer" syndrome and more related to technology in the players distance category improving and the availability of hollow body irons.

My theory is that this segment of irons is on the downhill slide of the rollercoaster. The segment being: game improvement irons tied to a driver release. I have nothing to back that up of course, other than my impression of general interest on forums lol. I think it's less the "internet golfer" syndrome and more related to technology in the players distance category improving and the availability of hollow body irons.
I will go the complete opposite side and say that it is the largest segment of buyers. We saw the shift from Callaway to tie irons into driver release. We have seen it from Taylormade and Ping and Cobra. If the driver is popular, the name carrying on has merit in my opinion.

I will go the complete opposite side and say that it is the largest segment of buyers. We saw the shift from Callaway to tie irons into driver release. We have seen it from Taylormade and Ping and Cobra. If the driver is popular, the name carrying on has merit in my opinion.
Yea, I don't doubt it's still the most popular. I wonder if the trends are changing though? Like if we looked at percentages for this type of iron vs others 10-12 years ago to today. It's hard to always get the full picture on the forum of course, because we tend to trend a little differently than your standard country club guy.

Yea, I don't doubt it's still the most popular. I wonder if the trends are changing though? Like if we looked at percentages for this type of iron vs others 10-12 years ago to today. It's hard to always get the full picture on the forum of course, because we tend to trend a little differently than your standard country club guy.
I could make the case based solely on the forum posts, that game improvement irons are dying :)

I could make the case based solely on the forum posts, that game improvement irons are dying :)

Do you think a new release every year is part of the issue vs every 2 years with other lines or no?

Do you think a new release every year is part of the issue vs every 2 years with other lines or no?
No sir.
I think a new release every year is a good thing as long as inventory is controlled.
I also happen to believe that this is the best iron Cobra has ever put out in this class.

No sir.
I think a new release every year is a good thing as long as inventory is controlled.
I also happen to believe that this is the best iron Cobra has ever put out in this class.
So why is it this segment that changes yearly vs others that are on a 2 year cycle? Is it solely because of technology improvements?

So why is it this segment that changes yearly vs others that are on a 2 year cycle? Is it solely because of technology improvements?
Its a lot of things and this is strictly my opinion.
1. Better players tend to hold their irons longer.
2. Less change with multi material in that class.
3. Large swings in irons can take place from a tech segment in this class with how much more room they have to work with.

Oh wait, its all lofts, disregard all of it.

No sir.
Would you consider the DarkSpeed to fit in between traditional game improvement and players distance. Taking best aspects of each and combining them into a very nice package.

Would you consider the DarkSpeed to fit in between traditional game improvement and players distance. Taking best aspects of each and combining them into a very nice package.
No, I think its in the game improvement area. Im not big on those types of labels however.

No, I think its in the game improvement area. Im not big on those types of labels however.
Labels will definitely have an effect whether people look at a specific club or not.

Back