Cobra DARKSPEED Drivers Review

Hit a few today with the Callaway Paradym Smoke Max and the Darkspeed Max and REALLY liked the Darkspeed!

Hit a few today with the Callaway Paradym Smoke Max and the Darkspeed Max and REALLY liked the Darkspeed!
Curious what did you like better about Darkspeed? I hit the Paradym Max and was impressed, but didn't hit it all that well.

Curious what did you like better about Darkspeed? I hit the Paradym Max and was impressed, but didn't hit it all that well.
Didn't have much time for a deep dive but hit about 5-10 apiece with each. For me the Darkspeed felt so much better at address and for me seemed a little more forgiving than the Smoque. First time hitting either of these drivers. Nothing bad about the Smoque I just seemed to favor the Darkspeed more which surprised me.

Didn't have much time for a deep dive but hit about 5-10 apiece with each. For me the Darkspeed felt so much better at address and for me seemed a little more forgiving than the Smoque. First time hitting either of these drivers. Nothing bad about the Smoque I just seemed to favor the Darkspeed more which surprised me.
What I think is so great about certain equipment now is that it is really hard to go wrong whichever direction you pick. Options are good and options that are all good are even better. If you are brand agnostic you should be able to find something that works out really really well for you. Love all these choices.

Congrats to Cobra!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Congrats to Cobra!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw this this morning. Pretty dang cool!

I have been beyond impressed at how forgiving the LS 9 has been for me. I honestly still can't get my head around it. I have hit some remote parts of the face and still have ended up 260 just off the fairway.

I have been beyond impressed at how forgiving the LS 9 has been for me. I honestly still can't get my head around it. I have hit some remote parts of the face and still have ended up 260 just off the fairway.
I am beyond certain there have been times where i've hit the exact center of the driver face and not ended up 260 :ROFLMAO: I'm not sure I needed humbled this morning, but...here we are.

On a serious note, I couldn't agree more. The forgiveness of the LS 9 was light-years dark-years ahead of what I would have ever imagined.

It was interesting how positive Ian Fraser was towards the sound of the DarkSpeed LS in the final video of Club Champion’s driver bracket showdown. Paraphrasing, he basically said it is one of the best feeling drivers he has hit.

Although it is now looking very much like the LS will be my driver for β€˜24, I did not necessarily feel that strongly about the sound/feel, although I liked it. However, in my second round this weekend, when I was striking the ball pretty well with it, I, too, noted that I really appreciated how it sounded/felt. To me, it is more appealing outside on the course than indoors. I wish there were more opportunities to hit clubs outside before having to make purchasing decisions.

Last edited:
Congrats to Cobra!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe

No!!! I was so looking forward to watching the finals when I got home. Oh well I guess I’ll still watch but won’t quite be the same

No!!! I was so looking forward to watching the finals when I got home. Oh well I guess I’ll still watch but won’t quite be the same
Come on, didn’t you know in your gut that the DS LS was destined to win, particularly without LS offerings from the other Big Boy OEMs in the bracket?

I would have loved to see a shootout with the Smoke AI Triple D and the Qi10 LS.

I was pulling for the LS but the PXG was cruising through the bracket and Ian was hitting it well

Hit the DS LS quite well today. Still have a freaking power leak, which was diagnosed at the end of the day as my damn left hand grip, but making good speed with a 30+ yard peak and 2400 in the 9.0 paired with the LINQ Red 7F5, heavy forward.

Had a nice little session banging the Darkspeed against my AJ Max and with some different balls. I'll follow up tomorrow. But seeing 250 yd carries and 265 totals with a BS of 145 mph makes me exited for what's there to unlock.

Guess I did have enough for a set to share, though speeds are lacking (for me) given the stupid palm grip I just now realized I've slipped into, so I hope to see those jump later this week.

What I do like about this though, it shows potential in the setup, with the 9.0 and heavy forward, I'm getting roll here and good ball speed even if my swing speed is dipping. More than that, with the LIN-Q M40X Red 7F5 in it, my spin jumps don't jump too high, but the drops also don't bottom out. That means less WORK for me, and I like that.

I know there is 5-7 MPH more in this setup for me still, just have to get back there.

Screenshot (234).png

So these aren't bad numbers (for me) on the Darkspeed X 10.5, turned +1. All shot with the '24 Chrome Soft. There's inconsistency there and I was living a bit too much all over the face, but seeing very encouraging ball flight. I'm actually contemplating turning it back to standard loft as well hit ones were into the 100ft+ heights and were coming down quite steep. Although here, maximum carry is the way to go.
1710324127953.jpeg

So these aren't bad numbers (for me) on the Darkspeed X 10.5, turned +1. All shot with the '24 Chrome Soft. There's inconsistency there and I was living a bit too much all over the face, but seeing very encouraging ball flight. I'm actually contemplating turning it back to standard loft as well hit ones were into the 100ft+ heights and were coming down quite steep. Although here, maximum carry is the way to go.
View attachment 9248337
I wouldn’t overthink the loft personally, only two shots broke 110 feet and even that isn’t THAT high given the pain numbers you’re getting.

Darkspeed X when you catch the middle the ball just springs off the face. The feeling is addictive. Really enjoying this driver.

I wouldn’t overthink the loft personally, only two shots broke 110 feet and even that isn’t THAT high given the pain numbers you’re getting.
Not immediately no, but I know from feeling that those were the ones I swung best. And it has to do also with my recent tendency to hook the ball a bit too much, but that can be overcome with setup and hand position somewhat. But the +1 closes the face slightly.

Not immediately no, but I know from feeling that those were the ones I swung best. And it has to do also with my recent tendency to hook the ball a bit too much, but that can be overcome with setup and hand position somewhat. But the +1 closes the face slightly.
It does, but it’s more mental than anything imo.

That said, mental matters for us crazies.

Still, 110-114 peaks with that spin won’t kill you, now if it had been the majority of the shots that way, sure, drop it down and get a little more roll. Just my opinion of course!

It does, but it’s more mental than anything imo.

That said, mental matters for us crazies.

Still, 110-114 peaks with that spin won’t kill you, now if it had been the majority of the shots that way, sure, drop it down and get a little more roll. Just my opinion of course!
Which I appreciate! I'll wait to see the flight outdoors, since even though the sim replicates the shot shape all right, this was still spin in italics and I've found Trackman to exaggerate side spin effect.

I'm looking forward to trying the CT and CTX to see how they behave. Here's a quick test of the DS on CSX and CSX LS.
1710330422070.jpeg

Guess I did have enough for a set to share, though speeds are lacking (for me) given the stupid palm grip I just now realized I've slipped into, so I hope to see those jump later this week.

What I do like about this though, it shows potential in the setup, with the 9.0 and heavy forward, I'm getting roll here and good ball speed even if my swing speed is dipping. More than that, with the LIN-Q M40X Red 7F5 in it, my spin jumps don't jump too high, but the drops also don't bottom out. That means less WORK for me, and I like that.

I know there is 5-7 MPH more in this setup for me still, just have to get back there.

View attachment 9248267
Consistency in ball speed is very impressive there. Looks like a couple minor face/path misreads at 6/7 πŸ˜‚

Consistency in ball speed is very impressive there. Looks like a couple minor face/path misreads at 6/7 πŸ˜‚
Haha! I just noticed that, either it’s a misread or I seized up. 🀣

Which I appreciate! I'll wait to see the flight outdoors, since even though the sim replicates the shot shape all right, this was still spin in italics and I've found Trackman to exaggerate side spin effect.

I'm looking forward to trying the CT and CTX to see how they behave. Here's a quick test of the DS on CSX and CSX LS.
View attachment 9248353
LS is definitely a little too LS haha

Haha! I just noticed that, either it’s a misread or I seized up. 🀣
It happens every now and then.

Really though, I think you've got a solid driver option here. The spin isn't going too high or too low. Tons of distance, even if you're floundering a bit.

Back