Cobra DARKSPEED Drivers Review

LS is definitely a little too LS haha
Indeed :LOL: But I played it for 3 months last year and it wasn't like that on the course on the AJ Max. Held wind and my crappy swings considerably better than CSX. But the Darkspeed is definitely lower spinning even in the X.

Indeed :LOL: But I played it for 3 months last year and it wasn't like that on the course on the AJ Max. Held wind and my crappy swings considerably better than CSX. But the Darkspeed is definitely lower spinning even in the X.
I was about to say, club change matters. Too many stick to the same ball after a change rather than re-evaluating. Good on you for re-evaluating.

It happens every now and then.

Really though, I think you've got a solid driver option here. The spin isn't going too high or too low. Tons of distance, even if you're floundering a bit.
That was my big thing chatting with Danny about shaft. The head is amply forgiving for my vertical miss, but, I felt like I was having to work at it whether mentally or in reality for height and spin dips, this setup aids that based on what I’ve seen the past couple days. Bottoms aren’t too low, peaks aren’t too high, leaves it to me to just freaking swing.

I was about to say, club change matters. Too many stick to the same ball after a change rather than re-evaluating. Good on you for re-evaluating.
I'll be testing (at least) CS/CT/CTX as well as the new B/BX/R/RX. The new Q-Star is also something that might suit me. I did the same last year and it was an really educative experience.

I think that I am 98% set with the DarkSpeed LS as my driver for this year. I believe I have now optimized the setup for real golf. I have lofted up from 9* to 10.5*, standard lie, with the heavy weight in the back. What this has done is minimize the extremely low spin balls that fall out of the air, even when I deliver with the face a bit shut. This can be seen in one of my examples below. At the same time, I am not seeing the high right spinners when I come from the inside and don’t square the face. All of the balls below were Chrome Tour.

I am growing to like the driver more and more. I like the weight and love the shaft. I am becoming more enamored with the feel on well struck shots. The head is giving me optimized ball speed. I am still hoping to get my ball speed up into the 150’s, but this head will provide me the best chance to do that. It is fun to feel settled as the season is just beginning here.

IMG_6503.jpegIMG_6504.jpegIMG_6505.jpegIMG_6506.jpeg

I think that I am 98% set with the DarkSpeed LS as my driver for this year. I believe I have now optimized the setup for real golf. I have lofted up from 9* to 10.5*, standard lie, with the heavy weight in the back. What this has done is minimize the extremely low spin balls that fall out of the air, even when I deliver with the face a bit shut. This can be seen in one of my examples below. At the same time, I am not seeing the high right spinners when I come from the inside and don’t square the face. All of the balls below were Chrome Tour.

I am growing to like the driver more and more. I like the weight and love the shaft. I am becoming more enamored with the feel on well struck shots. The head is giving me optimized ball speed. I am still hoping to get my ball speed up into the 150’s, but this head will provide me the best chance to do that. It is fun to feel settled as the season is just beginning here.

View attachment 9248911View attachment 9248912View attachment 9248913View attachment 9248914
Noice i also am starting to like this driver more and more. I have the 8 degree w the weight in the back set to 9 degrees. Tour ad di 7x old school haha but in the black colorway. Im really enjoying this thing

I don't believe you, Trackman... But I did let this sit up there for a while in the front bay for all to see 😂

20240316_121651.jpg

DS LS is my 2024 driver.

I hit this SO well today at the tournament. Sooooooo well.

I don't believe you, Trackman... But I did let this sit up there for a while in the front bay for all to see 😂

View attachment 9249332
This is an insane distance. My ST Max gets me 155mph ball speed and I only carry it about 250 on a trackman

Finding the center and loving it.

IMG_4442.jpeg

This is an insane distance. My ST Max gets me 155mph ball speed and I only carry it about 250 on a trackman

Fwiw, I did get a lot of roll down the back edge of where it landed 😉

I hit some MONSTERS with this today, especially considering I felt like I didn’t ever catch one all the way today.

Well not my best day out with the DSX but i made it work today. No OB which was nice but my timing is just off and i never seem to be able to correct that on course. Might hit the range this aft before tomorrows round to try and work it out.

I hit some MONSTERS with this today, especially considering I felt like I didn’t ever catch one all the way today.
I like this driver. Different shape than anything I have every used but flat does work.

The LS is a beast. Yes, I play at elevation and yes, our fairways were firm today, but, my goodness. Shot Scope has my performance average at 302 yards for driver. I do not ever remember being much higher than mid-280’s. I was having this kind of yardage, while still hitting 57% of the fairways for my round today, in some pretty difficult conditions:

IMG_6513.pngIMG_6514.pngIMG_6515.pngIMG_6516.png

My DS Max more then held its own at the Goat Cup this week. Hit some great drives, helped me get away with a couple mediocre drives. Only lost a couple of tee shots that weren’t playable. Hit a few perfect power draws, almost got it to the green on 6 in the shamble, hit one so good on 7 in alt shot I didn’t even watch it, knew it was perfect as soon as I made contact. Was quite happy having it turned down to -1.5 instead of -1 Draw. Still plenty of draw. Was fun playing on running fairways instead of wet fairways. Also slightly warmer. Come summer here with baked out Bermuda I expect my total distance will only get better.

My DS Max more then held its own at the Goat Cup this week. Hit some great drives, helped me get away with a couple mediocre drives. Only lost a couple of tee shots that weren’t playable. Hit a few perfect power draws, almost got it to the green on 6 in the shamble, hit one so good on 7 in alt shot I didn’t even watch it, knew it was perfect as soon as I made contact. Was quite happy having it turned down to -1.5 instead of -1 Draw. Still plenty of draw. Was fun playing on running fairways instead of wet fairways. Also slightly warmer. Come summer here with baked out Bermuda I expect my total distance will only get better.

I have pondered grabbing a Max to match it up in my Max Forgiveness Bag I'm going with this year.

One thing that I would add from my round yesterday is that the night before, I put the heavy weight back in the heel. I knew it was going to be a windy day and I thought it might help me keep my launch down. It definitely did. The difference from my prior round was really noticeable. In normal conditions, I definitely need the heavy weight in the back out on the course, but it was great to have that adjustability, something the prior Cobra LS offerings didn’t have. That adjustability alone could justify upgrading to the DarkSpeed, imo.

Last edited:
Well I’m officially down to 2 drivers to see what starts in the bag. The Darkspeed LS vs my gamer from last year the Ping LST. It is so close

I'd like to bottle this up.

IMG_0119.png

Back