Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I am thinking about changing the grips because I usually use 3 wraps of tape. I really like the feel of the Mashie swingweight as is.
The Miyazaki grip is listed at 46 grams. I wonder how much of a difference that would make? The original grip on the Mashie is 36 g.

As I said above, do not try and do three wraps of tape around the Miyazaki and then a reg grip, you are much better off to go midsize. I have done it but its not fun.

As I said above, do not try and do three wraps of tape around the Miyazaki and then a reg grip, you are much better off to go midsize. I have done it but its not fun.

Thanks CB, will do.

Just got done hitting a lot of Mashie shots during my simulated round. The data says that the M4 is a consistent 200yd club while the M3 is around 220 for me. Shots are straight and even on fat shots! The Mashie may shorten a lot of courses for me if i can make a consistent swing with it

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Just got done hitting a lot of Mashie shots during my simulated round. The data says that the M4 is a consistent 200yd club while the M3 is around 220 for me. Shots are straight and even on fat shots! The Mashie may shorten a lot of courses for me if i can make a consistent swing with it

Great to hear Hanks, 200 with the M4 is long.

Did it give you your launch stats with that? Was that carry only or carry and roll? That is long for me and my swing speed, so curious if the roll is a factor there. I believe the M4 is 23* or so. If that were the case and you are at 220 with 20.5*, my gut feeling is though you could eliminate driver altogether and get 260 out of M1.
Either that or my math is way off.

Took this one out yesterday. It was a rollercoaster of a golf day! Althought I think I did manage to convince the guy I paired up with how great the Mashie was. He was visiting from out of town and we were pretty backed up. I had him hit the Mashie after telling him how it was easily my favorite club in the bag. He loved it! Said the shaft felt great along with the feel at impact. He hit a nice straight shot into the middle of the fairway and nailed the approach shot. He is a fan and loved the name. Immediately he was reminded of the old clubs. Real cool dude.

I pushed a lot of my clubs yesterday and the Mashie was one of them. But it was still real straight. No slice on the tailend which happened on my other clubs. A push is bad enough but I was happy with the no slice action. I even got a chance out of the bunker and I picked it nicely.

I have to mention one shot in particular. Its a fairly short Par 5 around 490. But you either have to be super accurate with your drive to cut the dogleg or just end up conceding a layup. Well I was conceding. Just a bad day. So I pull my M3 out and just hope for good contact. I managed to get it up in the air and it was a screamer! It traveled a good 240 by the time the ball stopped rolling. I just got the slope at the end of the fairway and it gave me even more roll. I had 250 or so left to the hole (which GPS wasnt the most accurate that day) and I killed my 3w to the front of the green. The Mashie worked some magic even when my shot was bad. I had a few punch shots that got me back into play and a nice chip from about 20 yards off. It was a bad day overall but I never once hesistated with the Mashie and quite frankly shudder to think how much I would've hated yesterday without it.

I wont regrip this club unless I get a Winn that is as soft as the TL with the same weight haha. I don't want to mess with it and imo the grip is good to begin with.

I like the grip in the Mashie. Seems like there is an indicator on there which I like. Took this bad boy to the range and got to hit off some grass. Better but not blown away just yet. I think I need to find a good ball position for this club. Playing it more toward the middle of my stance and I hit some bombs. Playing it like my PNT2(toward my front foot) and I was hitting some worm burners. Now teeing it up I was completely blown away. I was pounding this. At one point I'm pretty sure it was going further then my 3 wood. Cannot wait to play it on the course tomorrow.

Good stuff Yoccus, great update. Fanastic that no matter how bad you are playing there is one club in your bag that will perform.

I definitely play this like an iron as far as ball placement and swing.

I like the grip in the Mashie. Seems like there is an indicator on there which I like. Took this bad boy to the range and got to hit off some grass. Better but not blown away just yet. I think I need to find a good ball position for this club. Playing it more toward the middle of my stance and I hit some bombs. Playing it like my PNT2(toward my front foot) and I was hitting some worm burners. Now teeing it up I was completely blown away. I was pounding this. At one point I'm pretty sure it was going further then my 3 wood. Cannot wait to play it on the course tomorrow.

Now teeing it up I was completely blown away. I was pounding this. At one point I'm pretty sure it was going further then my 3 wood. Cannot wait to play it on the course tomorrow.

I think that should tell you that once you figure out the position, how much you are going to love it. It took me a few minutes to figure out ball position, however I was coming from a Cleveland hybrid already.

Thanks man. I hit some bad shots with the M3 but I never hesitated to hit this immediately after to "fix" the bad shot. I topped 3 of them. 2 off the tee on the same hole lol. Then I punched to a spot which is exactly how I planned it haha. Then I topped on off a weird angle on a downslope. But used the Mashie to get close. It's fantastic having an unwavering sense of confidence with the club.

Good stuff Yoccus, great update. Fanastic that no matter how bad you are playing there is one club in your bag that will perform.

Did it give you your launch stats with that? Was that carry only or carry and roll? That is long for me and my swing speed, so curious if the roll is a factor there. I believe the M4 is 23* or so. If that were the case and you are at 220 with 20.5*, my gut feeling is though you could eliminate driver altogether and get 260 out of M1.
Either that or my math is way off.

That was total distance. After each shot we were given swing speed, ball speed, and total distance.

Mmmmmmmashie goodness. With Hanks and OEM today on the similar. Hit m1 once ... off the toe, still went straight 265 total. Total 3w replacement for me.

Hit the m3 4 times. Avg 245 total, hit one on the screws 255. I love these things. 5m next!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

That was total distance. After each shot we were given swing speed, ball speed, and total distance.

Can I ask what it was telling you your driver distance was? After your ball fitting, I thought you and I had very similar swing speeds.

Mmmmmmmashie goodness. With Hanks and OEM today on the similar. Hit m1 once ... off the toe, still went straight 265 total. Total 3w replacement for me.

Hit the m3 4 times. Avg 245 total, hit one on the screws 255. I love these things. 5m next!

Okay, not I have to ask you the same question I asked Hanks. What were you seeing for your driver distance? According to these numbers, you guys should be entered in Long Drive contests...hehe 255 for 20.5* I would assume that 10.5* would be a minimum of 325 with the longer shaft.

Not trying to speak for anyone but my local Crosswoods (indoor golf sim) gave me a high of 256 and usually 230ish for the M3. Not what I see on course though. Its odd because the sim had my driver distance on point as well as my irons. I couldnt figure out the descrepincy and when I was decing on the M1, I hit a M3 on the launch monitor just to get a baseline on the M2, hit the M2 then guessed for M1 distance lol.

I took the demo Mashie at our golf course for another test driver. I was not disappointed! I hit some big draws but I knew which way the ball was going and has some tremendous run outs. Solid and I would LOVE to try the 15.5 :thumb: I may never need a driver again :blob:

Okay, not I have to ask you the same question I asked Hanks. What were you seeing for your driver distance? According to these numbers, you guys should be entered in Long Drive contests...hehe 255 for 20.5* I would assume that 10.5* would be a minimum of 325 with the longer shaft.
I'm was hitting driver really well. Longest was at 319 yards total with 116 ss and 180 ball speed. I believe my ball speed with the m3 was 145. I do believe the simulator gave generous roll.

Can I ask what it was telling you your driver distance was? After your ball fitting, I thought you and I had very similar swing speeds.

I used the Cobra S3 exclusively today and my swing speed was consistent 101-103 and driver distance was consistent 240-250. Used the e7 as well

I'm was hitting driver really well. Longest was at 319 yards total with 116 ss and 180 ball speed. I believe my ball speed with the m3 was 145. I do believe the simulator gave generous roll.

I have a feeling you might be right (which is normal sometimes)

For a 98-100 SS which mashie shaft would you recommend?

I used the Cobra S3 exclusively today and my swing speed was consistent 101-103 and driver distance was consistent 240-250. Used the e7 as well

Yeah something is being generous with roll I think. If you are averaging 220 with a shorter club and 23.5* of loft and getting 240 with 9.5* of loft and a longer shaft and the driver swing speed is hovering around 100 (slightly more) it would appear that somewhere something is missing. Otherwise, lets face it, you could just do M2 and M4 and never touch anything lower ever.

For a 98-100 SS which mashie shaft would you recommend?

I dont think SS would really have much to do with it. It would really figure what fits your bag the best. They will have a shaft option for you most likely.

Took the mashies to the course for the first time today and color me impressed. I hit the 18* on the tee on hole 3 and hole 17 and it worked perfectly. The shot on 3 went about 240 and the shot on 17 went about 245. I used the 23* for a par 3 tee shot and on an approach on a par 5. The shot on the par 3 wasn't great, but that was user error. Pushed it to the right but the distance was spot on. The approach on the par 5 had to hook around a line of trees so I lined up to play a draw and ended up on the front edge of the green. Not a bad day for the mashie.

Back