Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

My M1 came in today and immediately got some range time. Only hit 15-20 balls, but so far I would say that this could be a good FW wood replacement for me. I found the distance to really be comparable and with the same performance I was seeing out of the others.

Diablo Octane in trouble already? I know quite a few are keen to hear your thoughts on this.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Diablo Octane in trouble already? I know quite a few are keen to hear your thoughts on this.

I have not decided on a FW wood as of yet, but they could all be in trouble if this gives me the same distance with the consistency of Mashie time.

The Fedex guy came by and dropped off 2 lovely mashies. I ordered the 1M and 3M in the 59X shafts. From swinging these in the house a little, I can tell you that the 59X shafts are STOUT. I think I'll be able to go after these as hard as I possibly want, but we'll see how it goes on the range later today.

The 1M shaft is a full inch longer than the 3M.

These shafts are beastly , I hit hawks reg flex and had little to no issue. I've even considered going a real tip stiff stiff flex to try and get some distance.

I have not decided on a FW wood as of yet, but they could all be in trouble if this gives me the same distance with the consistency of Mashie time.

I understand that. Initial impressions of distance? Close to the 3woods you've tested so far?

This makes me even more pleased with my decision. I know it's just a small sample but I'm really excited for the M1. Not that I don't love my 3w to pieces but I guess the only way to say this is, it's a MASHIE.

My M1 came in today and immediately got some range time. Only hit 15-20 balls, but so far I would say that this could be a good FW wood replacement for me. I found the distance to really be comparable and with the same performance I was seeing out of the others.

Seeing how everyone is falling for the Mashies and replacing everything from a 3w to a 5 iron, I wonder if Cleveland will bag their Hibore irons (if they haven't already) and make Mashie type irons?

I understand that. Initial impressions of distance? Close to the 3woods you've tested so far?

Distance seemed pretty close.

Seeing how everyone is falling for the Mashies and replacing everything from a 3w to a 5 iron, I wonder if Cleveland will bag their Hibore irons (if they haven't already) and make Mashie type irons?

I dont believe so. The HB3 irons are very solid irons and it would be a VERY expensive set to do it with Mashies.

This thread is evil.
Really makes me want to go try them again... but knowing I can't do anything until I re-learn to swing holds me back from actually doing it!

I have a feeling that buying a mashie is going to be a 2-step process.
1 - evaluate if I can swing the light shaft - if I can, buy.
2 - if I can't order the 83 and hope I can do it better with that.

And then if I can't do either, try the R11 and others... and if I can't do those, then stick with what I have and try to forget about the mashie lust.

Not even thinking of Miyazaki shafts in the irons due to the costliness, you're right....how about just the Mashie head on traditional steel shafts?

I dont believe so. The HB3 irons are very solid irons and it would be a VERY expensive set to do it with Mashies.

Not even thinking of Miyazaki shafts in the irons due to the costliness, you're right....how about just the Mashie head on traditional steel shafts?

I think that would take a lot of the Mashie magic away from what I gather.

Enjoying all of the videos and feedback, keep 'em coming!

We got a Mashie 3 demo in today. Ole Gray is on the range getting his Mashie on! Hope he likes it!

saw these yesturday in DICk's sproting goods along with the new cleveland drivers and was very impressed. I have NEVER owned a hybrid before and to be honest I never really liked the idea of them before.

However, with what I have read I may consider trying one of these out as I would like to get something inbetween my 5 iron and 3 wood as everyone is talking about....especially if it is going to be an easier club to play from the rough when i need that 3w distance....

and I LOVED the retro finish on it.

OK, I'm back from getting my Mashie on. Originally, was just gonna hit a bucket of balls, but at around 1pm, it was 43 degrees without a lot of wind and the course was almost empty.... so straight into action without a single warmup swing on the mashies.

The M1 got its first taste of action on the 530 yard par 5 3rd hole... I hit a good drive, leaving 250 to green. Unfortunately, I think I looked up in anticipation of the shot, and hit the ball a little thin. Fortunately, the mashie still performed. First the sound... my goodness. It sounds like a high caliber hunting rifle. And even though I caught it thin, it went dead straigh like a cruise missile, about 15 feet off the ground. It stayed airborn for 230 yards and rolled forward onto the front of the green. Remember, this was a pretty big mis-hit. 2 putt birdie, thank you 1M mashie.

Hole 5, 300 yard dogleg left Par 4. Pulled the 3M and took a 3/4 swing. Dead straight, leaving 95 yards to green (total distance about 210 yards).

Hole 6, 360 hards SEVERE dog leg left. Pulled 3M again, set up for a draw, and caught it perfect. The thing takes off like a scared rabbit, and curls left around the dogleg. But I hit it so pure it still got through the fairway. Total GPS distance --> 250 yards. Wowzers. This is the 3M people, and this is in 40* weather. I'm thinking I definitely need to get the 5M for those 200-210 yard shots. This thing is too long!

Hole 9, 390 yard Par four that runs out of fairway at about 270 yards. Pulled the 1M. BOOOOM goes the ball dead straight to 260 yards. Just loving the sound of this club which shall henceforth be affectionately known to me as the Elephant gun.

Finished the front nine in 1 over par, largely in part to the performance of the Mashies.

Hole 10, 330 yard dogleg left. Again, pulled the 1M to try and draw it around the corner. After the satisfying KABOOOM I now am in love with, the thing takes off at a nice, mid-flight trajectory and turns about 5 yards left for a nice gentle draw. I struggle with draws, and getting it to behave is almost bringing a tear to my eye. Again though, this thing is too long, going through the fairway by about 20 yards, totalling out at about 260 or so in distance. By now the temps are below 40, and I'm just amazed by this club.

Hole 11, toughest hole on the course. Dogleg left with hazard at bottom of dogleg about 250 yards away. Hit the 3M, nice high flight, piecing 5 yard draw to 10 yards short of the hazard. I'm in love.

My driver was behaving so well the rest of the round, no more mashies were required, but they acquitted themselves beautifully. Helped me to a 75 on this par 70 layout, in brutal cold with 20mph winds by the back 9.

The 1M launches lower than the 3M (as it should), but I had no trouble getting it elevated. I'd say a touch easier to hit off the deck than my 3 wood, and much easier to control direction than my 3 wood. I will not even be shopping for new 3 woods this year, this club is THAT good. And its just as long as my burner 3 wood, if not a little longer. The shafts are wicked good. I'm glad I got the X-flex because I can go after them without any fear at all. The first 1M I hit was out of the rough and it was no issue at all.

I'm psyched about this year of golf. I feel like I've got the perfect setup in my bag right now, outside of maybe replacing the 3 and 4 irons with a 5 Mashie.

OK, I'm back from getting my Mashie on. Originally, was just gonna hit a bucket of balls, but at around 1pm, it was 43 degrees without a lot of wind and the course was almost empty.... so straight into action without a single warmup swing on the mashies.

The M1 got its first taste of action on the 530 yard par 5 3rd hole... I hit a good drive, leaving 250 to green. Unfortunately, I think I looked up in anticipation of the shot, and hit the ball a little thin. Fortunately, the mashie still performed. First the sound... my goodness. It sounds like a high caliber hunting rifle. And even though I caught it thin, it went dead straigh like a cruise missile, about 15 feet off the ground. It stayed airborn for 230 yards and rolled forward onto the front of the green. Remember, this was a pretty big mis-hit. 2 putt birdie, thank you 1M mashie.

Hole 5, 300 yard dogleg left Par 4. Pulled the 3M and took a 3/4 swing. Dead straight, leaving 95 yards to green (total distance about 210 yards).

Hole 6, 360 hards SEVERE dog leg left. Pulled 3M again, set up for a draw, and caught it perfect. The thing takes off like a scared rabbit, and curls left around the dogleg. But I hit it so pure it still got through the fairway. Total GPS distance --> 250 yards. Wowzers. This is the 3M people, and this is in 40* weather. I'm thinking I definitely need to get the 5M for those 200-210 yard shots. This thing is too long!

Hole 9, 390 yard Par four that runs out of fairway at about 270 yards. Pulled the 1M. BOOOOM goes the ball dead straight to 260 yards. Just loving the sound of this club which shall henceforth be affectionately known to me as the Elephant gun.

Finished the front nine in 1 over par, largely in part to the performance of the Mashies.

Hole 10, 330 yard dogleg left. Again, pulled the 1M to try and draw it around the corner. After the satisfying KABOOOM I now am in love with, the thing takes off at a nice, mid-flight trajectory and turns about 5 yards left for a nice gentle draw. I struggle with draws, and getting it to behave is almost bringing a tear to my eye. Again though, this thing is too long, going through the fairway by about 20 yards, totalling out at about 260 or so in distance. By now the temps are below 40, and I'm just amazed by this club.

Hole 11, toughest hole on the course. Dogleg left with hazard at bottom of dogleg about 250 yards away. Hit the 3M, nice high flight, piecing 5 yard draw to 10 yards short of the hazard. I'm in love.

My driver was behaving so well the rest of the round, no more mashies were required, but they acquitted themselves beautifully. Helped me to a 75 on this par 70 layout, in brutal cold with 20mph winds by the back 9.

The 1M launches lower than the 3M (as it should), but I had no trouble getting it elevated. I'd say a touch easier to hit off the deck than my 3 wood, and much easier to control direction than my 3 wood. I will not even be shopping for new 3 woods this year, this club is THAT good. And its just as long as my burner 3 wood, if not a little longer. The shafts are wicked good. I'm glad I got the X-flex because I can go after them without any fear at all. The first 1M I hit was out of the rough and it was no issue at all.

I'm psyched about this year of golf. I feel like I've got the perfect setup in my bag right now, outside of maybe replacing the 3 and 4 irons with a 5 Mashie.

I love reading posts like this!!!! Glad to hear you had so much success with the Mashies my friend, and also love to see they are providing you with so much confidence!! Keep the reports comming!!

Great write up G4L!

nice read golf4life
looking forward to my M3 to arrive! May think about a M1 too! Have always had trouble hitting a 3 wood off the deck (reason I have a 4 wood!)

Nice stuff g4l! Man all this talk of an M1 makes me want to consider it against the 4 wood. I'm thinking perhaps the lower loft with a shorter shaft might equate to the same distance. I'm going to have to hit one first, but it's in the realm of possibilities.

They had a WHOLE BUNCH of mashies at my local edwin watts... in righty. Not sure how I feel about the grey top

I did it. I went and checked out the Mashie at the local Golf Mart. I talked myself into a M4. So pumped. About to take the lady to the Harding 9 hole course for an afternoon round. Can't wait to see this thing in action. The shaft DOES look awesome. Very light in the hands. I am very surprised it still measures out at a D4 swingweight. I love the offset, I think it's a must for me on my hybrids, even though I prefer minimal offset on my irons. I will report back on my first impression.

nice read golf4life
looking forward to my M3 to arrive! May think about a M1 too! Have always had trouble hitting a 3 wood off the deck (reason I have a 4 wood!)

Well, if you end up loving the m3, you'll probably love the m1. I've always been ok hitting a 3w off the deck, but always struggled with dispersion. Not so today with the m1. Also should be much easier to hit out of the rough

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Nice stuff g4l! Man all this talk of an M1 makes me want to consider it against the 4 wood. I'm thinking perhaps the lower loft with a shorter shaft might equate to the same distance. I'm going to have to hit one first, but it's in the realm of possibilities.

I bet its as least as long as you 4 wood. So far, its as long for me as my 3 wood was

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Fantastic write up G4L!!! Looking forward to seeing the bag full o' Mashies this weekend!

Heading into town to get my mashie on tonight, so stoked to actually hit that's not x flex. It could be a pricey night.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

I'm loving this thread! Everyone's out getting their Mashie on.

G4L, awesome play by play and bro, you are striping that M1!!

Back