Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Distance isn't that important to me. Accuracy loss is very dissapointing to hear. Can you provide any other numbers? I'm curious about launch angle and spin specifically as my hybrids have a max and min range i need to cover.

I don't really recall alot of the numbers but I'll probably do the same test some time this week and try to get some numbers for you.

I'm convinced he edited that after I asked the question:alien:

but yeah that was bad

That one might have been worse then my WITB skim over the weekend. Welcome to skim shady's house.

Haha, no edit, definitely a skim job.

The mashie is talked about on here like it's the savior of all hybrids. So my level of anticipation was extremely high for me to try this club. Not only because it has received such high marks by everyone on here but because I am in the market for a new hybrid. I didn't have a ton of time but I gave it a try on a launch monitor against the Adams A7 and the new Titleist 910h.

I almost expected the Mashie to destroy the competition but I was somewhat disappointed. I wanted so badly for this club to be wonderful but it really wasn't. I found it to be about 5-10 yards shorter than both the other hybrids and I wasn't nearly as accurate with it. For some reason it felt kind of dead to me, a muted feel with no real pop to it. Hope this doesn't discourage anyone from buying because everyone likes something a little different but just thought I would give my experience with the club.

I thought about putting this in the mashie testing thread but there was about 16000 posts in that so it could get lost pretty easily.

I appreciate you taking the time to write this up. Sometimes lost amid this hoopla we can forget that there is no magical club for everyone. I've heard the 910H is a monster

Hey Anyone Who Ordered From Us - OK... we called Cleveland again today and no update on the order. We believe we'll be getting them in on Wednesday (um... about a whole week late). We apologize!! We're going to send out an email to anyone who ordered one or two or three Mashies when we actually get a date. They have no idea what's going on with our order (that again, was scheduled to be in our hands on Feb 11th, but has been pushed). Thanks THPers.

Hey Anyone Who Ordered From Us - OK... we called Cleveland again today and no update on the order. We believe we'll be getting them in on Wednesday (um... about a whole week late). We apologize!! We're going to send out an email to anyone who ordered one or two or three Mashies when we actually get a date. They have no idea what's going on with our order (that again, was scheduled to be in our hands on Feb 11th, but has been pushed). Thanks THPers.

No problem at all Patty, it's not your fault and are simply at the mercy of their shipping department. Doing business with Blind9golf has been nothing but a pleasure.

Alright, played Saturday, range yesterday, range today + played the "loop" (3 holes 1, 2, 9) real fast since there all right there together.

Saturday was first time I hit it in 2 weeks and was quite surprised with results. Did not see a hook all day, just had one big draw and one shot which I topped. I can't remember exactly how many times I hit, I think 5. And all had a nice medium/high flight and pretty much just went straight besides the 2 I
mentioned above. All were consistent distance 215-225 carry with the 18.5* M2. Was very happy with what I saw and gave me a good confidence boost for the rest of my game.

Yesterday was another decent, almost good day. Hit probably around 30 balls and I'd say I hit about 50-60 percent good shots out of those. My ideal % for a hybrid is about 3 good shots out of every 4 so 75%. Im not there yet but it's getting closer. I had a few hooks, a few stand there with a big goofy grin on your face shots then a couple of tiger woods drop your club in your back swing shots. The feel was very nice as usual, knew exactly were I hit the ball on the club face and the nice iron like sound was there each time.

I didn't hit mashie today as much as I would have liked but I was working with the R11 to see what it could do. Hit about 25 balls on the range and it wasnt to bad. Still hit a few big draws and a couple hooks but had about 4-5 shots in a row that were all perfect which I have never done with the mashie before, that was definitely a good feeling. I used it 1 time on the 3 holes I played and had to hit a low stinger to get under some trees and it worked out perfectly, it went a good ways as well, left me a nice little wedge shot in.

I think the layoff was good for me, I don't fully trust it yet but hitting some good shots all 3 days is a big improvement to what I was seeing. The good thing about this though, is I get to keep testing and work out any problems that I have with it. Still many mashie days ahead and If I get to that 75% then it will be in the bag to stay.

Once blind9golf gets all those shipped out to everyone this thread is going to blow up. Can't wait to see how it works out for the rest of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info bridges, I really look forward to your thoughts on the mashie as someone who hasn't loved it out of the box. Glad its starting to get better for you.

No worries Patty! Thank you for the update, I'm ready for my Cleveland goodness in a bad way, but I can handle it lol

Our course has some orders with Cleveland too. I called today and they have not been shipped yet either.

Yeah, our local shop did not have any of the new Cleveland line yet this weekend. When I asked, they said nothing had shipped to them yet either.

Apparently they had not anticipated the number of sales that would have to be filled when they sent the few over to THP to test...they must be working on their "Year of the Hybrids" commercials now.

Between the Burner 2.0 effect and now the Mashie effect caused by THP testing, the companies should be beating down the THP doors for testing. Put a good product in our hands and we will get you sales 10 times over :act-up:

The Vans Golf Store here in Tucson had them on the shelf last Saturday. I bought the M4 and M2. I only had a chance to hit the M4 on Sunday but hit it three times. The club had a solid feel and went dead straight. Distance was similar to the Taylor 23 degree SuperLaunch hybrid it is replacing. So far the mashie is living up to the expectations.

The Vans Golf Store here in Tucson had them on the shelf last Saturday. I bought the M4 and M2. I only had a chance to hit the M4 on Sunday but hit it three times. The club had a solid feel and went dead straight. Distance was similar to the Taylor 23 degree SuperLaunch hybrid it is replacing. So far the mashie is living up to the expectations.

You are going to go crazy! So good, I'm a little jealous you have your M2 already.

Alright, played Saturday, range yesterday, range today + played the "loop" (3 holes 1, 2, 9) real fast since there all right there together.

Saturday was first time I hit it in 2 weeks and was quite surprised with results. Did not see a hook all day, just had one big draw and one shot which I topped. I can't remember exactly how many times I hit, I think 5. And all had a nice medium/high flight and pretty much just went straight besides the 2 I
mentioned above. All were consistent distance 215-225 carry with the 18.5* M2. Was very happy with what I saw and gave me a good confidence boost for the rest of my game.

Yesterday was another decent, almost good day. Hit probably around 30 balls and I'd say I hit about 50-60 percent good shots out of those. My ideal % for a hybrid is about 3 good shots out of every 4 so 75%. Im not there yet but it's getting closer. I had a few hooks, a few stand there with a big goofy grin on your face shots then a couple of tiger woods drop your club in your back swing shots. The feel was very nice as usual, knew exactly were I hit the ball on the club face and the nice iron like sound was there each time.

I didn't hit mashie today as much as I would have liked but I was working with the R11 to see what it could do. Hit about 25 balls on the range and it wasnt to bad. Still hit a few big draws and a couple hooks but had about 4-5 shots in a row that were all perfect which I have never done with the mashie before, that was definitely a good feeling. I used it 1 time on the 3 holes I played and had to hit a low stinger to get under some trees and it worked out perfectly, it went a good ways as well, left me a nice little wedge shot in.

I think the layoff was good for me, I don't fully trust it yet but hitting some good shots all 3 days is a big improvement to what I was seeing. The good thing about this though, is I get to keep testing and work out any problems that I have with it. Still many mashie days ahead and If I get to that 75% then it will be in the bag to stay.

Once blind9golf gets all those shipped out to everyone this thread is going to blow up. Can't wait to see how it works out for the rest of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridges, thanks for the update. It is good to see you working it out. I got to hit the M2 mashie at the Denver Expo last friday and I was blown away even though I could not see the ball flight because we was indoors. The ball felt nice coming off the face. As soon as I get my M2 from Patty, we could compare notes. I wonder if the M3 or M4 would make a different to you. I enjoyed the M4 a little more than I did the M2. I had to get used to the length of the M2. I believe you will reach that 75% soon.

Cleveland Golf has confirmed that my order is picked and packed- but not shipped. WHY WONT YOU SHIP!

What distances were you getting with the M4? I am getting same setup.

Bridges, thanks for the update. It is good to see you working it out. I got to hit the M2 mashie at the Denver Expo last friday and I was blown away even though I could not see the ball flight because we was indoors. The ball felt nice coming off the face. As soon as I get my M2 from Patty, we could compare notes. I wonder if the M3 or M4 would make a different to you. I enjoyed the M4 a little more than I did the M2. I had to get used to the length of the M2. I believe you will reach that 75% soon.
Thank you, appreciate it!!

Well I went with the M2 because it fits in my bag. I carry a 4i and the m4 would throw a bump in my bag. My 4i is 21* while the M4 is 23* so that would not work out very well for me. I could have gone with the M3 at 20.5* but its only .5* degree difference than my 4i, so the M2 (18*) was just the right choice since I know I will have a 15* 3w. Kind of gives me that perfect gap distance between all my clubs. However I would like to try out a M3 to see how it would do, and ya once you get yours, feel free to shot me a pm or just reply on here. I have had a few people send me pms about the mashie and what Im seeing so they can get an idea, so just feel free to drop me a pm anytime.

Well after yesterdays round I am looking at putting the M5 in the bag in place of the 5 Iron if all goes well on the demo once they come in. Cant wait to try them out. Anyone have a comparison on how far you hit the M5 vs. your 5 Iron?

What distances were you getting with the M4? I am getting same setup.

I am not a long hitter so am getting about 165 yards on the M4. Pretty high trajectory and very straight. It looks really good at address which helps the confidence level.

Thank you, appreciate it!!

Well I went with the M2 because it fits in my bag. I carry a 4i and the m4 would throw a bump in my bag. My 4i is 21* while the M4 is 23* so that would not work out very well for me. I could have gone with the M3 at 20.5* but its only .5* degree difference than my 4i, so the M2 (18*) was just the right choice since I know I will have a 15* 3w. Kind of gives me that perfect gap distance between all my clubs. However I would like to try out a M3 to see how it would do, and ya once you get yours, feel free to shot me a pm or just reply on here. I have had a few people send me pms about the mashie and what Im seeing so they can get an idea, so just feel free to drop me a pm anytime.

Interesting thoughts Bridges. I am seeing much more distance with the M3 than I was with any other hybrid or iron. My burner 3 hybrid that the M3 replaced was a degree and a half stronger but the mashie is longer by a good 5-10 yards.

Interesting thoughts Bridges. I am seeing much more distance with the M3 than I was with any other hybrid or iron. My burner 3 hybrid that the M3 replaced was a degree and a half stronger but the mashie is longer by a good 5-10 yards.

Well I go driver, 3 wood (15*) M2 (18*) 4i 21* so it was pretty much a no brainer for me to go with the M2 at 18*. If I decide to drop the 4i, I can grab the m4 at 23* which will about equal 4i distance, and still have the perfect gap since my 5i is at 24*

Well I go driver, 3 wood (15*) M2 (18*) 4i 21* so it was pretty much a no brainer for me to go with the M2 at 18*. If I decide to drop the 4i, I can grab the m4 at 23* which will about equal 4i distance, and still have the perfect gap since my 5i is at 24*

Absolutly, I am dropping woods all together and going driver, M2, M3, then 4 iron up. I just can't hit woods and from what I am seeing distance wise from the M3 the M2 will be all I need.

I met a good friend of mine yesterday for a round of golf. He and I have played a lot of golf together, and if anyone knows my game and my approach to golf it's this particular fella. Of course, he asks what's the newest and latest and greatest gear on the golf market these days, so it was the perfect time to plug the Mashie. He was very impressed with the overall package, and couldn't believe that it came with a real deal Miyazaki shaft. He wasn't blown away with the retro finish but his perceptions completely changed by the end of our round.

This was my first round of golf in 2011 so I wanted to make sure that my personal expectations were not too high and I wanted to focus on some basics, on decent contact, and to start getting myself into golf shape. I actually struck the ball quite well today and we were experiencing some windy conditions, especially in this area. We decided to play one tee box up from where we normally do, so we played from 5995 yards. It was a nice way to get back into the swing of things, because distance wasn't the premium. This also gave me the opportunity to tee off a ton with the M3, which made me happy.

I'm just getting better and better with this golf club. The more comfortable I get, the better contact and results I am seeing, thus, the more confident I am with this club. The best part was after about the 3rd hole I tee'd off with it, and I was just slightly behind my friend, who was hitting his driver, he started to become very interested in this golf club. I believe his exact reaction was, "that's just ridiculous". He also couldn't believe how far the shot would go, particularly in that wind, with a ball flight as high as the Mashie provides.

My Mashie shot of the day, that's right, I'm gonna coin that term, was on the short par 4 11th. This hole isn't long, especially from where we played, but it's very demanding. The fairway is about 15 yards wide and lined with live oaks. Accuracy is definitely tested on this hole. We had a massive tail wind, and it was 265 to the front edge of the green. I pull Mashie, I let it rip and I was 5 paces short of the bunker in front of the green. The ball seemed to be in the air forever. It was incredible, I felt huge.

In conclusion, I now definitely want the M2 and it will definitely be taking my 3w out of my bag. These clubs are just far to accurate, far to consistent, far to forgiving, and as much as I hate to say it again, they're the closest thing to cheating.

Back