Cleveland Claims Distance

JB, that is what I thought..What is your idea on the difference between the driver and 3 wood? Do you notice a difference when you have hit the 3 wood in feel vs. your standard 3 wood?

Thanks,
Ted

I like them both quite a bit. There are a ton of reviews on the FW wood in that thread as well as a home page review as well.

One other thing from their test... the Cleveland was 4th out of the 5 in dispersion numbers, with the Superfast 2.0 being number one by a significant margin. Interesting. Also, the R11 was the only one showing dispersion as a negative number (I think that means a fade bias)

As for the Cleveland CG16 irons, in my experience their tests for distance pretty much hold true for me in my opportunities to hit those irons listed. They are very long.

If their drivers perform anywhere near the fw woods, they should be real gamers. Surprised o haven't tried one, but no need at this point

I now tap while I talk

yeah they are. and accurate too.

I miss those irons

As for the Cleveland CG16 irons, in my experience their tests for distance pretty much hold true for me in my opportunities to hit those irons listed. They are very long.

CG definitely jumping in and making the statement that they are much more than just wedges!!

Cleveland Golf is named after a person not the city. I don't know where the company was originally started but I doubt it had anything to do with the city of Cleveland, Ohio.

Oh, I know. I believe they were founded in California.

I'm just weird.

I dont have any issue generating clubhead speed and these drivers work amazingly well. You just have to find the right flex and you'll see the results.

I get why they put numbers out there but it's contrary to what I've seen from other OEM's. Not sure who to believe. I guess I'm in the minority but I'm not a huge fan of the I'm longer than you. Maybe it's just because it's Monday.

I am wondering what would happen with a different swing speed used during testing and if the results would be the same. I tested a ultralite driver at a golftown to see how it would work for me and I found I couldn't hit a consistent shot as I felt the driver was too lite. I think for someone that has a hard time generating clubhead speed on their own these drivers may be a good benefit but just like everything it may not work for everyone.

I have been hitting a Cleveland Launcher TI 460 driver for at least 3-4 years now and have not hit any other driver I thought was a big enough improvement to make a change, even among the new Cleveland drivers.

I really like those commercials! I like the way they did that.

Interesting ad, I´ve tried the new Clevelands and lengthwise they were just ok for me. I think I hit both new Cobras and my old 4 dx longer than the Clevelands. They were about the same lenght as the Taylormade´s for me.

VERY nice shafts on the Clevelands thou, they were yummy. Maybe I´ll give them another try after this. Would like to try the Srixon if I can find one in Sweden.

I haven't looked at the testing protocols (on my phone), but the distances shown in the pics look like perhaps the tests were geared towards slower swing speeds.

Interesting point. 5 Irons should not go 150-163 from players with average swing speeds, especially a stronger lofted 5 iron. It'd be interesting to see how these clubs performed at a higher swing speed versus one another.

Interesting point. 5 Irons should not go 150-163 from players with average swing speeds, especially a stronger lofted 5 iron. It'd be interesting to see how these clubs performed at a higher swing speed versus one another.

Looking back that does seem off. I don't play a 5I but when I did 165 yards would be on the shorter end for sure. Not a big swinger here.

163 was the longest of all the irons though. 151 for the RazR X irons is very low and I really think the swing speed had to be pretty low to range a strong lofted 5 iron 151-163 yards.

I love the CG16 irons. I am a senior and these clubs deliver superb distance for me with good ball flight and shot dispersion. The Cleveland SL290 driver is among the longest I have ever hit when my tempo is in order. I put some old TaylorMade drivers in my bag for last weekend's club championship. I am more accurate with those clubs. For some reason a little heavier wood gives me a better swing tempo. Now if I really have my rhythm going the Cleveland driver is a missile launcher.

But they dont have to be exclusive to one another.

No they don't, but so many choose distance over accuracy. Many good players have become lost chasing distance. Most every day players just aren't good enough to have both.

I'm really starting to like a lot of Cleveland products and when I buy a new driver later this year the Cleveland line will be one of the first I try.

The lofts on the irons have been changed making them longer. No kidding a 5i will be longer than other 5 i's if the cleveland loft is equiv to other brands 4i. I havent hit the Driver, Cleveland isnt in my courses buying matrix so I havent heard anything about it. TM 2.0 irons are rocket launchers too.

The lofts on the irons have been changed making them longer. No kidding a 5i will be longer than other 5 i's if the cleveland loft is equiv to other brands 4i. I havent hit the Driver, Cleveland isnt in my courses buying matrix so I havent heard anything about it. TM 2.0 irons are rocket launchers too.

Check the lofts of the other irons they are compared to.

No they don't, but so many choose distance over accuracy. Many good players have become lost chasing distance. Most every day players just aren't good enough to have both.

In my opinion if you are hitting a club that provides a little more distance it can have the benefit of allowing you to swing at a smoother tempo and in theory it should increase your accuracy once you are not always swinging as hard as you can.

I personally witnessed my son gaining 19 yards carry with the TL310 driver over his previous Diablo driver. It was really fun to watch the numbers at our demo day. We had a lot of surprised people.

I just went to gg to try these, I hate hitting unto a screen. I hit the 290 and 310. S and r , different lofts. Also hit the Nike msb and vr pro, callaway razr hawk.. no matter which driver I hit all were 230-240. F that bogus screen

I now tap while I talk

I dont have any issue generating clubhead speed and these drivers work amazingly well. You just have to find the right flex and you'll see the results.

I get why they put numbers out there but it's contrary to what I've seen from other OEM's. Not sure who to believe. I guess I'm in the minority but I'm not a huge fan of the I'm longer than you. Maybe it's just because it's Monday.

I am not surprised it worked well for you but I was just saying it didn't work well for me as I had no feel with them. I am sure many will have great success with these drivers.

I'm with you. The ad seems great, but I'd like to see some true independent testing (i.e. not funded by any 1 company) comparing the different clubs at different swing speeds. A difference at a slow swing speed like tested here (I'm not a fast swinger but my x-20 5iron goes 170+), could be reversed at pro speeds, or really any different speed. The testing should also compare clubs of the same loft. However, the data is interesting and the next time I get clubs I will definitely include the Cleveland ones in my thoughts.

I have had the XL270 for about 5 weeks. Yesterday, one of the guys in my regular foursome commented "you are hitting that driver 15+ yards farther than your old drivers" .... which were Ping G15 and TM Superfast 1.0 and 2.0. And it goes straight!

Back