Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Well I didn't get a round in today but still got some quality range time in.

First thing I noticed is how balanced the irons feel. The weight is just distributed so nicely with the PXi combo. Just enough heft in the shaft to keep my swing in tempo without being cumbersome. You can feel the head nicely as well but it's not a sharp transition from head to shaft. However the shaft balance point is placed its almost like the weight of the head slowly transitions from a point slightly up the shaft and then into the head itself. I don't know if y'all are following me on this but that's just my thoughts on it. I think this is probably more a property of the PXi's as my i20's feel this same way.

Next thing you really notice is how Cleveland has struck a perfect balance of just enough blade behind the ball to instill a good sense of confidence yet still sleek and slim enough that they will appeal to traditionalist "blade" guys.

I had my irons bent 1* strong from the 6-P and 2* in the 4 & 5 irons. This seems to be working really well for me as my distances are looking about identical to the i20 set.

I love the aggressive sounding audible thwack that these give off at impact. The feel is something to marvel at as well. You can really feel the head pounding the ball but it's not sharp or clicky at all, just a solid but ridiculously soft impact where tha ball almost feels like its staying on the face longer than it should be before it explodes off into the distance.

Forgiveness? It's there and it's there in large quantities. TC says moreso than the i20's...well I won't go that far. But they are right there on the same level. You aren't giving up anything in that department with these. No doubt about that.

Initial first impressions with this set are that I made the right choice in picking these up. Solid performance, feel that is on par or maybe even BETTER, yes BETTER, than any of those ridiculously expensive forgings from Japan. I've hit Miuras before, Mizzies of course, and even smacked around a set of Scratch blades. These are better feeling...hands down.

If you're in the market and have a little higher handicap (I do) but still want to game a shiny set of "forged players irons" then these are definitely where you want to be looking!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Does anyone have any of the MB's and how well does the set flow? I know JB has some for the morgan cup but would like to hear if anyone else has them.

Does anyone have any of the MB's and how well does the set flow? I know JB has some for the morgan cup but would like to hear if anyone else has them.

Flow? Performance or looks wise? Looks wise I'd say they flow very well together. The MB's of course are a tad shorter from heel to toe and at address the top line is among the thinnest I've ever laid eyes on. But they definitely look like a set of clubs that should be together in a bag when you have them together.

Performance wise the CB's are just so damned forgiving that it's night and day. If you're a good ball striker you really shouldn't have problems with the scoring irons in MB's though. Maybe 8-P like JB has.

Thanks Charlie! It's fun chatting about them for sure. Who knows, maybe you can have a swipe with them in September :p

One can certainly hope. :D

I haven't looked too closely at the J40s yet, but I have to say the Cleveland 588 CB/MB combo in JB's bag is drool-worthy. Reminds me of my first real set of irons Wilson Staff Progressives. CBs all the way through the set are pretty damn fine, too, but I'd probably go MB for half the bag. Anyway, am enjoying reading the thoughts of the MCuppers in the thread. Going to go nerd out at the Cleveland site for a little while now.

Been meaning to hit the Classic driver. One thing I don't like about some modern drivers is the 'thud' sound, like from RBZ/R11. Can the folks that are gripping the Classic give a little feedback on the sound? I know it varies but just wondering if it is a little more of a high-pitched 'snap' sound, which I prefer (as with Titleist 910, or my R7, for example).

I haven't looked too closely at the J40s yet, but I have to say the Cleveland 588 CB/MB combo in JB's bag is drool-worthy. Reminds me of my first real set of irons Wilson Staff Progressives. CBs all the way through the set are pretty damn fine, too, but I'd probably go MB for half the bag. Anyway, am enjoying reading the thoughts of the MCuppers in the thread. Going to go nerd out at the Cleveland site for a little while now.

Been meaning to hit the Classic driver. One thing I don't like about some modern drivers is the 'thud' sound, like from RBZ/R11. Can the folks that are gripping the Classic give a little feedback on the sound? I know it varies but just wondering if it is a little more of a high-pitched 'snap' sound, which I prefer (as with Titleist 910, or my R7, for example).

Lots of feedback on sound in the Cleveland Classic thread. JB even posted a vid with the camera next to the driver to capture sound.

To me, the Classic is on the other end of the spectrum from high-pitched. It's not tingy at all, in fact, it's more deep and hollow sounding to me. It's definitely different, that's for sure. I really do like it though.

I finally demod these yesterday along with some razr x forged. Both felt great i think i hit the callys better though. But they also only had the 588 in reg flex and was hitting the 6.0 with the razr x forged.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Well I didn't get a round in today but still got some quality range time in.

First thing I noticed is how balanced the irons feel. The weight is just distributed so nicely with the PXi combo. Just enough heft in the shaft to keep my swing in tempo without being cumbersome. You can feel the head nicely as well but it's not a sharp transition from head to shaft. However the shaft balance point is placed its almost like the weight of the head slowly transitions from a point slightly up the shaft and then into the head itself. I don't know if y'all are following me on this but that's just my thoughts on it. I think this is probably more a property of the PXi's as my i20's feel this same way.

Next thing you really notice is how Cleveland has struck a perfect balance of just enough blade behind the ball to instill a good sense of confidence yet still sleek and slim enough that they will appeal to traditionalist "blade" guys.

I had my irons bent 1* strong from the 6-P and 2* in the 4 & 5 irons. This seems to be working really well for me as my distances are looking about identical to the i20 set.

I love the aggressive sounding audible thwack that these give off at impact. The feel is something to marvel at as well. You can really feel the head pounding the ball but it's not sharp or clicky at all, just a solid but ridiculously soft impact where tha ball almost feels like its staying on the face longer than it should be before it explodes off into the distance.

Forgiveness? It's there and it's there in large quantities. TC says moreso than the i20's...well I won't go that far. But they are right there on the same level. You aren't giving up anything in that department with these. No doubt about that.

Initial first impressions with this set are that I made the right choice in picking these up. Solid performance, feel that is on par or maybe even BETTER, yes BETTER, than any of those ridiculously expensive forgings from Japan. I've hit Miuras before, Mizzies of course, and even smacked around a set of Scratch blades. These are better feeling...hands down.

If you're in the market and have a little higher handicap (I do) but still want to game a shiny set of "forged players irons" then these are definitely where you want to be looking!

That was a good read, COLT. I think the precision forging process is pretty cool if you watch one of the videos about it. I can't embed it for some reason, but here's a link http://bcove.me/g8opakgx

To the guys who have had the R11s and the 588s TC and Ary i know you guys have what do you think comparison wise? ive been pondering these for a while prob end up with a combo set if i do pull the trigger. i just can't help but lust over these they look so good.

Just wanted to drop a note in here and let you guys know that I'm loving all of the feedback and discussion in this thread. I've put my iron ponder on hold while I work on my game, and I've set some goals to attain before I start looking for another set. When I do though, you can be sure that these irons will be at the top of the list to try thanks to what I've heard here. It's nice to see some higher 'cappers having success with these too.

Thanks, Jon!

I don't think they really should scare off people based on handicap (to an extent). I think it comes down to fitting and finding a look that you are confident with.

Definitely love the look, and I'm planning on going for somewhat less of a GI iron when I do move. The i20s are up there too, but I think that these are just so clean looking.

Yep, they are really clean. Even better in person, if that's possible.

Yep, they are really clean. Even better in person, if that's possible.

Oh it's possible. And they are!

To the guys who have had the R11s and the 588s TC and Ary i know you guys have what do you think comparison wise? ive been pondering these for a while prob end up with a combo set if i do pull the trigger. i just can't help but lust over these they look so good.

You know what both do have in common, they both offer probably the slimmest soles of the irons in their class. I think the R11's were nice irons but the shafts in them were not suited to me. The R11's offer that soft (almost absence of feel) feel and the 588's are exactly the opposite. They aren't harsh mind you, but they aren't soft, they're very solid. Like you now you just struck a golf ball. They sound very different too. The 588's are more audible and offer that nice solid "CRACK" sound at impact. I think the 588's are superior out of the rough and I think that they both do a nice job of framing a golf ball. One thing that really pushes the 588's out in front for me is the ability to knock the ball down with them, but that's also something that was almost impossible for me with the KBS 90's.

You know what both do have in common, they both offer probably the slimmest soles of the irons in their class. I think the R11's were nice irons but the shafts in them were not suited to me. The R11's offer that soft (almost absence of feel) feel and the 588's are exactly the opposite. They aren't harsh mind you, but they aren't soft, they're very solid. Like you now you just struck a golf ball. They sound very different too. The 588's are more audible and offer that nice solid "CRACK" sound at impact. I think the 588's are superior out of the rough and I think that they both do a nice job of framing a golf ball. One thing that really pushes the 588's out in front for me is the ability to knock the ball down with them, but that's also something that was almost impossible for me with the KBS 90's.

Thanks TC im in off season new iron ponder mode and these are at the top of my list. im happier with the R11s with the C Tapers but id love to get my first set of forged irons and give them a go.

Thanks TC im in off season new iron ponder mode and these are at the top of my list. im happier with the R11s with the C Tapers but id love to get my first set of forged irons and give them a go.

I don't know if I could honestly recommend a better set dude. I know those CMB's are attractive to you based on your experiences with them.

Can you tell me if you were fit for the 588's what would your lie angle and length be?

I don't know if I could honestly recommend a better set dude. I know those CMB's are attractive to you based on your experiences with them.

Can you tell me if you were fit for the 588's what would your lie angle and length be?

id prob be standard i usually am. once i get my swing lessons in full swing again this winter ill be going through an entire fitting at Golftec it comes as part of my lesson package ill make a decision after i see if my swing change makes anything different with lie and length but like i said ive always been standard before. but i figured id wait till after i was pretty much done before using the fitting. i got to hit the 588s at the demo day too. if it was just for looks id buy these in a heart beat. my local GG doesn't have the CMBs or the 588s but im hoping to him them both again at the AC get together so ill have a better idea of what i wanna get after then hopefully.

Buckjob, I saw your post yesterday but didn't have enough time to put up a solid answer. TC covered a lot of it in his post in terms of the differences between the 2 clubs. First of all, if you wanted to stay with your same shafts now in the 588 CBs, you'd have to get them put in yourself as Cleveland only offers the C-Taper in S and X, not S+. In terms of the 588 CB vs R11 irons, the 588 CB irons will show more distance loss than the R11 irons on off-center hits, but for a good ballstriker like yourself, I think that you'd be pleasantly surprised by the performance of the 588 CB irons on good strikes. You would still probably lose a little bit of distance since the R11 lofts are stronger, but you're not a guy that needs to worry about that, and I think that you'd be able to have some more precision with these irons. I was a fan of the R11 irons in terms of their looks, but the 588 CB irons are a step above that, they frame the ball really well. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Buckjob, I saw your post yesterday but didn't have enough time to put up a solid answer. TC covered a lot of it in his post in terms of the differences between the 2 clubs. First of all, if you wanted to stay with your same shafts now in the 588 CBs, you'd have to get them put in yourself as Cleveland only offers the C-Taper in S and X, not S+. In terms of the 588 CB vs R11 irons, the 588 CB irons will show more distance loss than the R11 irons on off-center hits, but for a good ballstriker like yourself, I think that you'd be pleasantly surprised by the performance of the 588 CB irons on good strikes. You would still probably lose a little bit of distance since the R11 lofts are stronger, but you're not a guy that needs to worry about that, and I think that you'd be able to have some more precision with these irons. I was a fan of the R11 irons in terms of their looks, but the 588 CB irons are a step above that, they frame the ball really well. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks Ary it's still a ponder I want some more time with them before I jump on a set. And I'm not sure what shaft I'd get for these yet. I dunno how I'd feel about the c tapers in them.

Buck, I know most aren't a fan but I really like the DG's in these clubs haha. Not sure they're a good fit for you but man, if you get these .. you'd be in beast mode.

Buck, I know most aren't a fan but I really like the DG's in these clubs haha. Not sure they're a good fit for you but man, if you get these .. you'd be in beast mode.

Yeah DG spinners might be good I struggle with a low ball flight. I got a few iron sets on my list I did email blind9 to get a price point there are some cheap sets on the bay too.

Yeah DG spinners might be good I struggle with a low ball flight. I got a few iron sets on my list I did email blind9 to get a price point there are some cheap sets on the bay too.

Spinners? You talking about the wedges or irons?

Spinners? You talking about the wedges or irons?

I was joking. My ball flight is ridiculously high. I already have the wedges I'm looking at snagging a set of irons.

Back