Chipping on Green?

I don't see myself doing that on a great course, since I wouldn't even do it on my home course couple of days ago. Considered it shortly, but decided to put across the rough and put it two feet.

I can see a situation where it would be called for, but I don't have faith in me to not take a chunk.

If I'm in a position where I'm considering chipping on the green, then I'm putting with a lofted club like my 7w. It'll do the same thing as my wedge and pretty much ensure I'm not going to mess up the turf.

It's a no from me. Never needed to in the past.

Like everyone else has said I'm unlikely to be playing for high enough stakes to warrant the risk of damaging the green. With no previous experience of trying and no real way to practice it I'm either tearing up a trench or bottling it and blading the ball 50yds into a forest or a canyon. I'll take the extra putt.

Looks like I'm going against the grain here, but hear me out.... if I'm on a green and my ball is in a spot where I can't putt directly at the pin, i.e. the course has deemed in their wisdom that they have placed a crazy bunker in the middle of the green or a horseshoe design or something else where I need to putt into another part of the green before putting at the pin itself... I MAY try to chip it. This would be any course, especially if you've charged me in the hundreds of dollars for the privilege to putt on a strangely laid out green.

And before anyone gets frosty, I've NEVER chipped on a green in my life, but I'd consider it. ;)

Me personally, no. But if you're good enough to clip it without damaging go ahead. But I'm guessing that list of people isn't very big.

If the situation calls for it then absolutely
Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

A live look at me trying to fix the divot I took.

Digging The Rock GIF by WWE

Nope, I know how hard it its to keep up greens and I would be afraid of damaging it. And my chipping around greens in general is not the best.

No. Zero chance I could pull it off without damaging the green.

I'm 99% no. It would have to be the only choice and even then I wouldn't want to risk messing up a good green

If it’s the only play, I don’t see why not. I’m confident in my wedges and I’ve done it at my home course multiple times.

That’s what I’m saying from my phone though. Put me in that situation on a course like that where that’s the play and I may chicken out
This sum up my thoughts on the topic really well 👍

Under no circumstance would I chip on the green. I have had a few instances where it made since to do it and still chose to putt.

99.9% of the time greens are not designed so that playing a chip shot is a preferable option to putting. Other than the 17th hole at Pebble Beach and the 6th hole at Riviera CC I am not remembering a golf hole where a Tour player has chipped from a lie on the green, so is this a 'thing'?

Nope, Not a chance in hell I would try something like that.

I wouldn't do it on a local course let alone an exclusive or bucket list course.

No need to be chipping on the green, unless it's one with a bunker in the middle.

No, I’d be worried about harming the green.

Back