Chipping on Green?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Would you do it at an exclusive or bucket list type of course?

Nope not a chance. I watched someone do it on 17 at Pebble in my group when I played it and just shook me head in disgrace.

Nope!

In a casual round at a fancy course, no i very likely would not.

In a tournament absolutely

Can't say I would. There's absolutely no reason to unless you're on tour and playing for millions.

Casual round no way. Tournament, only if I had to and it would have to be very important.

Depends on if I was chipping well. I would say the I would attempt maybe 1 out of 10 times it ever came up on a bucket list course. I have done it and there was no damage. Just have to have confidence.

I can only think of one hole that I've ever seen that I would even consider it - that hole with the bunker right in the middle.

That being said, nope I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn’t do it under any circumstance. I barely chip from green side.

If it’s the only play, I don’t see why not. I’m confident in my wedges and I’ve done it at my home course multiple times.

That’s what I’m saying from my phone though. Put me in that situation on a course like that where that’s the play and I may chicken out

Not a chance. Regardless of the course.

I've seen players do it on #16 at TPC San Antonio during the Valero. The green has a bunker in the center of it.

I wouldn't...

Nope. I'd like to be able to return to said exclusive club :eek:

One thing i'll say , to defend us hooligans who chip on greens

For you to HAVE to chip on a green, like for that to be your best play---it's almost impossible that you would be in a central area where it would affect putts. You are most likely way out of position, and even if you chunk a bit---you replace it , you're probably not ruining anyone's day.

If I did I definitely wouldn’t take any practice swings.

No I could not bring myself to do that.

If I absolutely have to, yes. I usually don’t take divots with short chips like that

One thing i'll say , to defend us hooligans who chip on greens

For you to HAVE to chip on a green, like for that to be your best play---it's almost impossible that you would be in a central area where it would affect putts. You are most likely way out of position, and even if you chunk a bit---you replace it , you're probably not ruining anyone's day.
Great point. And yes, I would do it.

Well there is one hole around here that would make me consider it. Why put a bunker in the middle of the green with black sand in it and have a sign as you walk up to the green with "no chipping" on it. This isn't your local putt putt course...

In a casual round at a fancy course, no i very likely would not.

In a tournament absolutely
My thoughts exactly. Would I trust myself to do it? Yes. Would I risk it though when my score likely doesn't really matter...no.

two shots to beat Finley on the 18th to win the belt? You better believe it

No, unless I was 100% certain I could do it w/o damaging the green.

Never, no matter the situation. Local public course, or exclusive course, either way, I am not risking damage to the green to save a stroke.

I guess that would be one way to learn how to properly engage your bounce, but no, I don’t think I would.

2 things, did i pay through the nose for said course and is there a real obstacle (sand i guess) between me and the cup. If both are yes, then sure, i don’t intentionally take big or deep divots. Damage, if any would be minimal.

Back