Chipping on Green?

I wouldn't do it at a muni, so no way I do it at a nicer course.

Of course not, but I think we've all seen greens that almost ask you to from certain angles, and I shake my head at those, what a dumb design idea, that should never be a thought on a putting surface.

If I'm having a career round with a chance to shoot under par I might consider it. If I'm shooting above that then no.

I am 99.95% not going to to do it as I am not good enough in my chipping skills that I am going to make said chip in the hole over the putt I would have to take.

No. I dont have enough confidence in my chipping to not completely mess up the green.

Would you do it at an exclusive or bucket list type of course?
I would not chip off of any green's surface, unless the score was really, really important, in some sort of sanctioned contest.

Even if I did, with my chipping stroke, the green's surface would be just a slight trim off the top. Not anywhere close to a divot.

Iirc I chipped off a kidney shaped, split green in SoCal 3, or 4 decades ago. I left no damage.

Doubtful. Maybe if it was some kind of tournament.

The only way I would do it is if it was a gimmick green with a bunker or whatever in the middle of it, and my score really mattered for a competition of some sort. If you're stupid enough to design your green that way, I'm stupid enough to attempt to chip over it if I'm on the wrong side of it. I can usually chip without making it into an excavation project, so the green is most likely safe anyway.

If it's just a super huge green complex like Ballyhack and I'm a long ways from the cup, I'd putt with a hybrid instead.

100% if the course/pin calls for it.

Nearly did it at Briggs. Was an inch or two in the fringe and no way to put it anywhere close without carrying the large r to l ridge.

No damage done.

IMG_4650.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes. It's grass, it can be patched if divot and will grow back, just like everywhere else. Pretty sure I don't understand the question, I can think of zero reason why not. As noted, it's not going to be in prime putting areas, it's going to be miles away or over a collar where you can't put a good line on it on the ground. Silliness.

If the hole TRULY warrants it yes, but I've only seen one hole like that in my life on a Stranz design where a massive green literally wrapped around a bunker kind of like an island, so if pin was at the back you would have had to chip to take a shot at the hole, otherwise you would've had to do this weird 3 putt to wrap around the bunker.

If I absolutely had to, I mean I guess? Not a whole lot of situations truly warrant it so I would need a real good reason to do it.

A flop shot? Hahahaha nooope.

I don't have that much trust in my short game so no.

I would not do it on any course in a casual round. Greenskeepers and staff work too hard for a hacker like myself to cause them more work.

If I can't putt over it, I'll just putt around it and take the hit to my score.

In a tournament round, I might try it, but only if I felt there was no other choice and I thought I was in some sort of contention.

Nope not me, I don't have the confidence in my short game to do that.

As others have said, only in a tournament. On a side note, if a player is forced to chip on a green then the green was poorly designed.

Absolutely no ... not a chance.

I would use a hybrid to without hesitation, but not sure that really counts as chipping? I wouldn't with a wedge because I don't have the control to feel confident I wouldn't mangle the green.

It would take an extraordinary circumstance for me to do it.

a low chip shot with a closed face and proper stroke doesn't need to take grass, let alone make a divot. it's not a pitch or a lob or a punch. you might bruise the green, but it's less damage than a typical pitch mark and just as easily repaired. and sometimes it's the golf shot that the situation calls for. @baylrballa pic is a good example. i'd absolutely pitch that to clear most of the fringe and get the ball rolling. we have a few greens on my course where front and back sections are divided by a peninsula/mound, and i've used it effectively when out of position on the green.

taking a divot or even scraping a strip of green is careless and disrespectful, on any course, bucket trip type or local muni.
if that's a possibility for you, then the answer should be no.

but when you've practiced and gamed the shot in competitions and you're confident in executing it properly?
absolutely, yes.

Yes, if the goal is to shoot the best round possible that day.

Yes, if the goal is to shoot the best round possible that day.
That's a really valid point that I think would actually be the opposite for me very likely. I'd be so in my head about damaging the green that there's a really good chance I'd screw up the chip and not be any better off anyway.

Back