Callaway Razr X Irons - All Lines

I have not seen any white irons from TM. I am slightly drunk right now, so I could have misread your post.

Sent from my iPhone so please ignore my horrid typing mistakes

It always beer-thirty somewhere I guess. My comment was in reference to the Driver, FW, Hybrid's and Putters from TM that appear to be headed all white for 2011 - from the pic's I've seen I just don't feel the love. It seems like a fade and much like disco I'll pass on this one too.

It always beer-thirty somewhere I guess. My comment was in reference to the Driver, FW, Hybrid's and Putters from TM that appear to be headed all white for 2011 - from the pic's I've seen I just don't feel the love. It seems like a fade and much like disco I'll pass on this one too.

Got ya. Yeah, it is almost 7 here.

Sent from my iPhone so please ignore my horrid typing mistakes

I'm wanting to try out the new RAZR Muscle Back irons. No change from the X Proto's except grahics. Saw pics and I like the new looks.

Playing with a few guys tomorrow and all 3 sets of these are going out. From what I can gather right now, most seem to be offering similar feedback which is nice for a grouping report. Will have more soon.

JB, how did the testing turn-out? The Razr's and new Cleveland line have my attention right now.

Thanks

JB, how did the testing turn-out? The Razr's and new Cleveland line have my attention right now.

Thanks

Should have a full writeup coming up this week (Monday I am guessing). 6 people played 3 sets including me.

Looking forward to the review. Really interested in the Razr X irons.

I admit to coming away a little underwhelmed with these irons at the hanks mini outing.

Im not a big fan of Callaways new product line

I like the looks of the new clubs and I can't wait to read the write-up

Which ones did you try Kevin and what was it that fell flat for you?

all three versions were there: the RAZR, the RAZR Tour, and the RAZR Forged. i was there as well and from what i remember most of the guys were underwhelmed with the forged RAZR's the most, and i believe that most of them were pleasantly surprised with the RAZR Tour irons. the RAZR came equipped with graphite shafts so i think that most of them kind of shy'd away from that model.

all three versions were there: the RAZR, the RAZR Tour, and the RAZR Forged. i was there as well and from what i remember most of the guys were underwhelmed with the forged RAZR's the most, and i believe that most of them were pleasantly surprised with the RAZR Tour irons. the RAZR came equipped with graphite shafts so i think that most of them kind of shy'd away from that model.

Thanks TC

I was reading the Hot List comments in Golf Digest last night and was surprised (advertising dollars aside) to see that the regular Razr iron was an editors pick. They seemed to be taking a dig at overly lofted irons in their defense of the selection.

Thanks TC

I was reading the Hot List comments in Golf Digest last night and was surprised (advertising dollars aside) to see that the regular Razr iron was an editors pick. They seemed to be taking a dig at overly lofted irons in their defense of the selection.

Sorry NoLine, I missed your question there. FLTC is spot on though. Ive hit the Callaway Diablo forged irons a few times and every time Ive come away super impressed. One of the best hitting irons I think Ive hit. Awesome feel and distance. So I guess I was hoping for something similar with these but that wasnt the case. The forged were very much not the iron for me. These were obviously meant for the better player and not the average joe. Now this doesnt mean theyre bad irons just not what I was hoping for. But the Tour irons were pretty awesome. They seemed to be a good mix of player and game improvement all in one. I think the regular RAZR would have been a nice iron had they come with steel shafts instead of graphite. I did take a swing with them and it did hit pretty well even with the shaft.

No problem, I appreciate the feedback. So much to demo this year!

Razr Tours look interesting, but none of them look nicer than my X-Forged. Callaway's missed the styling boat on their '11 lines except for the Octane.

As promised, here is a brief write up about our weekend with these iron sets. We had 3 golfers test out the 3 sets and play 54 holes. They rotated sets every 6 holes throughout both days and wrote up some notes on what they wanted to share. Really a fun study and something we are going to continue to do with iron sets. Here are quotes from each player on each set that might help people with information.

Bill - 15 handicap. Good ball striker that loses his strokes off the tee and on the green. His iron play is strong and he currently plays Callaway X-22 irons.

Scott - 12 handicap. Very good player that should be playing to about a 6-7 without some blow up holes. He is a strong iron player and hits it a long way. Currently playing TaylorMade R9 TP.

David - 1 handicap. Strong all around player that assists us with a lot of our testing now. He is currently playing Titleist AP2.

JB - 6 handicap. Iron play is a study in question marks (hehe). Currently playing Cleveland CG16s.

Callaway Razr X
Bill - "Really solid iron. Much better feel and performance than the X-24s I tried out. Could move the ball around the course and were plenty forgiving."

Scott - "Good iron, but I struggled hitting the ball too high compared to my irons."

David - "One of the better irons in this category that Callaway has made in a while. Felt good on contact and gave out a nice crack of a sound. High ball flight could help a lot of amateur golfers achieve more distance."

JB - "Liked this one a lot. It had that 'Callaway feel' that many are used to. Solid iron that reminds me of the Diablo Edge irons but with a little more playability packed into it.".

Callaway Razr X Tour
Bill - "This is what I was expecting out of this iron. Good looking and performance to boot. I could change to these in minute, but my miss was exaggerated with these a little bit."

Scott - "My fav of the bunch. Good looks, feel, and performance and everything I look for in an iron."

David - "I feel like this is what my irons should be doing for me. Solid impact and just enough forgiveness to let me miss without feeling like I am using a shovel. Can I keep these?"

JB - "I preferred the ball flight of the regular Razrs personally, but that can be fixed with the shaft. Good feel and one thing that stuck out to me was the ability to hit every shot with them."

Callaway Razr X Forged
Bill - "It sure is pretty looking. Love the look, but man when I miss it goes nowhere. When hit well, I still think the last irons felt a little better (Razr Tour)."

Scott - "Great looking iron. I expected this mystical feel, but to me it was not there. Can hit them anywhere I want to and the low shot is something I cherish and these deliver it."

David - "Wanted to love these, but prefer the Razr Tour version instead."

JB - "I expected something different. I felt as though the feel was just not right for me. I want to love them and you can hit any shot you want with them, but they are just missing something for me (Im sure its forgiveness)."

Overall
Not a bad set in the bunch. To do this testing we put PX 6.0 steel in all 3 sets (each tester fit that profile) to make it a fair comparison in club heads. Certainly many of these factors will change for people as they experiment with the proper shaft for their game. Callaway is bringing it this year with the new sets and really a step up in their iron department in my opinion.

Great info! Sounds like the Razr Tour is where it's at.

That was a great way to do it. I enjoyed knowing the hdcp's and you could tell a difference in the lower hdcp's comments. Seems to me like the winner here was the "last irons" the x tour. Thanks for taking the time to do this. It really does help narrow down any search someone may have

Fantastic stuff JB. Totally agree with you that Callaway sticks just have that 'Callaway feel' to them.

Loved the fact that no one was bowled over by the forged offering but everyone seemed to like the Razr Tour the most. Pretty consistent feedback

Good feedback on these. I'm really not liking the names or designs but it's hard to argue with results. I did really like the feel of the X-24s and Diablo Forged irons. I'll have to give the Razr Tour's a few swings for sure!

Thanks for the write-up JB, the Razr Tour's have my interest. I look forward to trying them out.

I can confirm that all three of these sets will be at the THP Demo Day

Back