Callaway Razr X Irons - All Lines

Played first round with Razrx irons and fit driver and all i can say is smooooth. The balance and feel of both these irons and driver is confidence inspiring. I hit solid shots all day after about a month layoff. Thought I would be a little rusty after a month layoff but these irons just feel right in my hand. Literally have one arm. Turf interaction is awesome from all lies, different from previous big berthas, 96's, 02's, feel like I can pick it from any lie. I have played HB3'3 and MP14's and these appear to be the perfect combo of both. Perfect feel with incredible forgiveness. The main difference from these irons and my R11's from 1 round is feel on mishits. My elbow doesn't feel the mishit from a toed shot like it does from the Razr X. The feel on perfectly struck shots from both irons is sublime, but the RAZR X feel so much better on my mishits. I hit several shots on the toe today and did not realize it until I looked at the club face and saw the ball imprent way out on the toe. I also felt that I could work the ball a little better with a 2* flat lie verse the standard lie of the R11. 2 degrees flat allowed me to not worry about letting that heel digging in the ground and hit that nasty little pull hook every once in a while. Propably a head case thing with having a properly fit club. Again, thats why I love Cally Preowned, they can bend any club for you to fit your swing. Only 1 round, but really enjoyed playing with the RazrX's today.

Just bought A set of Razr XF irons, 5-PW. I cant wait for them to get here! I'm going to have my PXi shafts put in them when they arrive....
I've enjoyed Chunky's reviews of them, it helped me pull the purchase trigger!

Just bought A set of Razr XF irons, 5-PW. I cant wait for them to get here! I'm going to have my PXi shafts put in them when they arrive....
I've enjoyed Chunky's reviews of them, it helped me pull the purchase trigger!

Great to hear, can't wait to hear how they work for you.

is there a big difference in the razr x irons vs the razr xf irons?? has anyone hit both? how did they compare?

I liked the Razr X irons. I had a set with KBS tours in them. They felt very good and were forgiving. The Razr XF's took everything about the X and made it better. More forgiving in every aspect. Hit it off the toe and distance loss was minimal. The included hybrids are the best hybrids I have ever hit. The feel is fantastic. The XF's are one of my favorite irons of all time. I went back to some i20's because I knew I would be gaming some sort of player iron in the 2013 Morgan Cup. Well that lasted 2 rounds as I went right back to the XF's. I just have too much fun gaming these to put them out of the bag.

Watching chunky hit the XF's made me long for these irons. Best I had ever seen him strike the ball and even when he said "I missed" the shot lost minimal distance and still had a great ball flight.

I really do love them. I really feel like these can be irons I keep in the bag for a while. Obviously they will come out for the first half of 2013, but it will take a very strong iron from Bridgestone to keep these out. Of course I would love to have an iron in my bag that screams that I'm a player. But it's fun to have an iron that doesn't crush your soul when you don't hit that dime sized sweet spot. If Cally could have dropped the price on these to a more reasonable level, they would have been a much bigger seller. Now they are seen as a failure which is just a shame. I feel like they are Callaways best iron since my beloved X-14s and possibly my favorite iron of all time

I wanted to give a quick update on the Razr X HLs that I recently purchased. I quit golf for 10 years and just got back into it about 18 months ago. During this time, I've gone though a lot of sets of irons searching for one that worked well for me. I've owned SGI sets from NIke, Adams, Cleveland, TaylorMade and Callaway (Big Bertha 2008, and Diablo Edge). Of the sets, I had the best luck with the Diablo Edges.

I stupidly sold them to go to an all hybrid set which was a mistake. The performance wasn't there on anything other than a flat lie or very soft ground and I lost all confidence in my irons. I also hated the tinny sound and feel of the hybrid iron set.

I decided to come back to Callaway irons and went with the Razr X HLs. They seemed to be the continuation of the Big Bertha line, and very similar to the Diablo Edges, but with the TPU insert.

I really like TPU insert clubs, and this is actually what made me decide to go with the HLs over getting another set of Diablos. These perform as I'd expect based on other insert clubs, removing some of the "shock" on mishits.

The HL have been like returning to an old friend. I'd been fighting a fade (which could turn into a slice later in a round) since switching away from the Diablos. My straight to draw ball flight returned on the very first swing. Hello! If anything, my miss now is left, which is a wonderful thing for a lifetime slicer.

Ball flight is very high. That's to be expected and what I purchased. I haven't seen any loss of distance though against my hybrid iron set or my Diablos.

If I have any knock on this set it is about the sound. The Diablos had a wonderful "thwack" sound on well struck balls. I think the TPU insert removes that some. These don't sound bad by any stretch, but are much more muted. I kind of miss that "thwack."

Overall, I'm very pleased. This is exactly what a SGI iron should be. I don't see these leaving the bag for quite some time (unless I could score a deal on some XFs).

Last edited:
Try cally preowned rye bread and get you some XF's. 40 percent off. Can you say HB3 with playability. They are that good! I demoed this weekend and fell in love!

Sent my Razr x's back to CallyPreOwned this weekend for 90% buy back and got me some xf's for 40% off. 5-pw,sw. They look beautiful. I can't wait to go play 9 after work this evening. Bought this set after demoing a 6 iron last weekend. During my round I found myself hitting the 6 iron any where from 110-170 out just because it was so fun to hit. Even won a closest to the pin in my golf association on a par 3 from 140 yds. I cant wait to see what the complete set can do. Looks like I will be changing my signature below

I just got the Razr X's (4-PW, AW) off of Cally Preowned for 30% off. I was previously gaming a set of out of the box RAMs my mom picked me up in about 2004. I've only been to the range for about an hour with these and I'm loving them.

What isn't there to love. They look great, they fly, feel great when you hit them, and forgiving as well. I couldn't be happier with my purchase and can't wait to test them out in our best ball tourney tomorrow.

I have a 6i Razor X demo iron in my bag that I love. I wish I had tried these a long time ago! If I hadn't just spent a bunch on my Pings I would probably get these instead.

Played with my XF irons yesterday and shot a smooth little 79 and didn't drive the ball particularly well. I am smitten by these irons. I told my wife these will be in the bag for the rest of the year. For a club ho like me this is saying something. I hit more greens yesterday with a 5 iron than I ever have in my life. Had to hit 5 iron almost every hole because the driver was not working to well. This is just a fun set of irons to play with. I had about 5 birdie opportunities inside of 10 feet, unfortunately didn't make any of them, but I will take that any day. I also love the winn grips these come with. These irons just feel so balanced. You can really feel the club head throughout the swing and I feel this really helps with my tempo. The only thing I don't like about these irons is that Callaway doesn't offer a 4 iron. But with the 5 iron being 24*, I guess I really don't need one. I am tempted to try the hybrids that go with this set but I think I am going to hold out for the x hot fairway woods. I generally hit high lofted fairway woods a little better than hybrids. Can't wait to try the 25* 11 wood. I can't wait for my next round of golf!

First time I had opened this thread, those X Forged's sure are pretty.

I am still loving my Razr X Blacks, really suprised to see them not on the 2013 lineup

twoods: You've convinced me enough to give a set of XFs a try. I'll be able to report back in a few weeks with some comparisons with the HLs. So far the HLs have been the set that best matches my swing of anything that I've played.

twoods: You've convinced me enough to give a set of XFs a try. I'll be able to report back in a few weeks with some comparisons with the HLs. So far the HLs have been the set that best matches my swing of anything that I've played.
I noticed from your previous post that you and I have played similiar clubs in the past. I really like the cally x's, but with discount I got on these it was hard to pass them up. It was during my demo of the 6 iron that I was sold. I was hitting all types of shots that day. The playability off of thin lies is what really impressed me. Felt like I could pick it right off the turf. Alot like my R11's but with more forgiveness and better height. Plus they just look downright awesome in the bag. Almost stealth looking. I never even considered looking at these because of the price. I am glad I did!

I have the razr xf irons 4-aw and a 56* callaway wedge. How are others dealing with the gap (AW is 49* and I did not know that at the time i bought the 56*) between the AW and thier other wedges. Should I look at a 52* to cover this or just play with what i have.

I have the razr xf irons 4-aw and a 56* callaway wedge. How are others dealing with the gap (AW is 49* and I did not know that at the time i bought the 56*) between the AW and thier other wedges. Should I look at a 52* to cover this or just play with what i have.
Dansby, I just play two wedges from this set-pw,sw. I'm a believer in the less is better theory in golf clubs even though I own several different sets, wedges, drivers, woods, hybrids, and putters. I like trying different shots with 1 club. I hate getting around the green with 4 wedges and wondering which shot I want to hit with which wedge. Then when I miss hit it, I start thinking I should have hit the other wedge. But, I am propably in the minority in this thinking. Some of my best scores have come from when we have 3 club tourneys in our mens golf association. With limited clubs it forces me to learn new shots using the same club. I enjoy this aspect of golf. Plus it messes with your playing partners head when they ask what you hit from 120 yards and you reply 6 iron. Sorry off on a tangent there but I really love everything about these clubs!

Just got the Callaway Razr X Black 5-PW for 259 at callawaypreowned.com. I actually ordered a "Like New" set, but called them and they upgraded me to an "Outlet" version which is pretty much mint/brand new.

I've only been playing golf for a few weeks, hopefully I can tell the difference from my Pinemeadows generic set.

Dansby, I just play two wedges from this set-pw,sw. I'm a believer in the less is better theory in golf clubs even though I own several different sets, wedges, drivers, woods, hybrids, and putters. I like trying different shots with 1 club. I hate getting around the green with 4 wedges and wondering which shot I want to hit with which wedge. Then when I miss hit it, I start thinking I should have hit the other wedge. But, I am propably in the minority in this thinking. Some of my best scores have come from when we have 3 club tourneys in our mens golf association. With limited clubs it forces me to learn new shots using the same club. I enjoy this aspect of golf. Plus it messes with your playing partners head when they ask what you hit from 120 yards and you reply 6 iron. Sorry off on a tangent there but I really love everything about these clubs!

Same here on the wedges. Around the green, less is definitely more for me. I just don't get the practice opportunities.

What are the thoughts of a 7 handicaper playing SGI clubs such as the razar xf irons. Maybe it is buyers remorse, as I did hit the razar x tours but liked the feel of the xf better. I did not do any research on the club, but had the local pro (who was helping me) fit me on shaft, length and lie. I went on feel which I thought was much better than the x tour and have only taken them out on the course once. I like the top line of the club as I had the x-20s before but it does have a large sole and I am not sure what affect that will have on my game. After reading on how they are a SGI club I am questioning my decsion. It is most likly just in my head but just checking on THPers thoughts.

Dansby: If you like the looks and are comfortable standing over the ball, then I'd think that is all that matters. I've read a number of low handicappers on here who are switching to GI and even SGI sets. Their rationale seems to be "why make the game any harder than it needs to be?"

Also, I don't know if you put any stock in Ralph Maltby and his MPF. I know that some don't. Regardless, in his mind, the XF is more GI than SGI. He actually rates the XF as less forgiving than the standard Razr or the Diablo Edge.

On this one, I kind of have to agree with him. I did some testing against my HLs and have found the latter to produce more consistent performance regardless of where I strike the ball on the face. This applies both to distance as well as accuracy. I saw this over the course of hitting a couple hundred balls with each across several clubs in several sessions. Good shots were probably better with the XFs and seemingly longer, but the average shot for me was more consistent with the HLs. I decided to go with the more consistent club and to stick with HLs.

Back