Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

Let’s just say I struggle with fairway woods. The 3w Max D Ai Smoke is so easy to hit and I was seeing at least 3-5* more launch which resulted in more distance. I did not find myself in many positions where I put the club in play at the Grandaddy, but when I did the club delivered!
That max line has my eye!

Let’s just say I struggle with fairway woods. The 3w Max D Ai Smoke is so easy to hit and I was seeing at least 3-5* more launch which resulted in more distance. I did not find myself in many positions where I put the club in play at the Grandaddy, but when I did the club delivered!

now tell me, would you normally try a D fairway wood if you went to test out some clubs?

I need pics of @Just_Brad ’s.
Lol, I do too.
I still haven't seen it. It was unavailable, and they subbed a Paradym Heavenwood.

Right now my gear is still in transit.... somewhat MIA at this point, it may be in there, but still a possibility it isn't. We've been told that missing items will ship as soon as they are available.

There will be pics though. As soon as I get it in hand! And surely more thoughts to follow on it!

Is this the draw favoring version?

Lol, I do too.
I still haven't seen it. It was unavailable, and they subbed a Paradym Heavenwood.

Right now my gear is still in transit.... somewhat MIA at this point, it may be in there, but still a possibility it isn't. We've been told that missing items will ship as soon as they are available.

There will be pics though. As soon as I get it in hand! And surely more thoughts to follow on it!
Can’t wait to see them. Hopefully soon.

Is this the draw favoring version?
It would be. My miss is a big fade so during the fitting Garritt and I talked about countering that with the Draw based version. It brought my shot shape to pretty much straight with a slight fade. Once I fix this swing I expect to see smooth buttery draws to be my new shot shape.

The Rogue lineup was the last fw I hit from Callaway. I’ll definitely be checking this line out to see if it can compete with my current 5w. It’ll be a tall task

It would be. My miss is a big fade so during the fitting Garritt and I talked about countering that with the Draw based version. It brought my shot shape to pretty much straight with a slight fade. Once I fix this swing I expect to see smooth buttery draws to be my new shot shape.h
Thanks. It sounds like a good combination for you.

Time will tell, but this might end up being my favorite club in the bag. Let me take you through my fitting and tell you how I ended up going 5W Max D. Also, I like the look of the sole, but LOVE the look of the crown.
IMG_6769.jpeg

We built my bag going irons first and then driver and fill in the gaps at the top and with wedges at bottom.

I didn’t have my best swing at the fitting, but probably one I play with a lot through the year with out to in path and too steep. We messed around with apex irons, the HL ai-smoke and then I was fit into the standard ai-smoke irons.

We decided the 4H (190–ish carry) to 5i (175 carry) would be a good gap. My fitter, Sean, then wanted to get driver set and it took us awhile fighting spin. So I was getting tired and my swing was getting worse, I told him I love my Speedzone 3W and would just get another 3W.

Thank goodness the fitter said we should hit just a few more. The 3W wasn’t bad; in fact, I was carrying it close to my driver 220 to 230 yards. But I wasn’t very consistent and it was launching low. We then hit a few with the 3HL and it went higher and the gap looked better with carry around 210, but I was still a little wild.

Boom! Magic happened. Sean (my fitter) said I might be better off with the 5W D. I would have a touch more loft and a shorter shaft and wanted to give it a shot. He also said that we should try the same Draw model as I have in driver. Man, I love this club and we ditched the 3w.

I was worried the Draw version would look “closed” to me but when I address the ball like I do with 5W, it sets up wonderful for me and inspires confidence. IMG_6770.jpeg

I got the same Ventus Red shaft that I have in my driver. Off the tee, I am getting a nice draw 210-ish carry that is HIGH and lands soft. Off the fairway, I hit it so much better than a 3W and it goes very straight. I had a tendency to leave my 3W right when I hit it from fairway to the point I just started hitting hybrid there.

There were a lot of shots at Hideaway that I was 230+ out on par 4. Sure, I would love to have a 230 yard fairway club that was straight but it just isn’t in my bag. I hit a lot of 210 yard 5W to perfect position just to give me a shot of getting up and down.

Went to the range today just to confirm how much I like this club. I have never had a 210 carry club that goes as high and straight as this one. And I explore the face from heel to toe.
IMG_6768.jpeg

Last edited:
Paradym Ai Smoke Fairways!!!!

MAX, MAX D, MAX FAST, Triple Diamond variations, and there is a ton to try out there. If you get a chance to get fit, please do so! Find the right setup for you.
20231204_171341.jpg
20231204_171344.jpg
20231204_171347.jpg
During my fitting time, we began with the MAX 3W, and just based on turf interaction, we quickly switched over to the MAX 5W. I wouldn’t typically play a lot of 3 Wood during a round anyways, so switching to the 5 Wood gives me a bit more forgiveness off the turf, and I am probably not giving up much yardage from the 3W.

The next step, which would (unknowingly) shape the majority of the rest of my bag, was when I asked for the new Paradym Ai Smoke Heavenwood. You know the story right? 7 wood head, 4 wood shaft, launches high, goes long and straight, and lands soft? Yeah that’s what I wanted, after being a longtime V-Series Heavenwood holdout. The hiccup there, is that the HW overlaps the gap that would have been filled with a hybrid, or with a 4 iron. I don’t regret the choice as much in hindsight, but it threw a wrench into plans that I had been mapping out for probably 6 months prior. Should I have gone regular 7 wood instead? Time will tell!!

FITTING RESULT FOR WOODS: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 5W and Heavenwood, Tensei Blue 65g Regular Flex in both. Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Grip.

Interestingly again, fit into the MAX lineup, low spin setups, that hopefully turn into on-course bombers for me!!

Not a ton of usage on course with the woods to be honest. If it was a position where I could hit driver off the tee, I did…. And being a shorter hitter overall, I hit driver a lot. 5 Wood off the tee, and fairway a couple times. Decent enough, but comparison to anything is lacking after playing a 3 wood most of the time at home. Good turf interaction, straight flight, and I used it mainly as a distance club to make up some of the gap on second shots on longer holes. The Ai Smoke HW wasn’t available, so the Paradym was provided, and it was honestly only used a couple times in trying to navigate around the Hideaway.

Gear in transit still, and only a couple on-course swing pictures while using the clubs. Many more to come!!
20231207_154909.jpg

20231207_154911.jpg

20231207_154657.jpg

I’m really looking forward to following this segment. I didn’t end up with a FW in the bag but it’s certainly something I could see in the future. Hmmm.

Did I mention this may be my favorite fairway ever? I’m seeing a gorgeous trajectory with the 3w and the feel is so, so good.

These look amazing and can't wait to try them out. I have had the epic flash 3 wood in my bag forever but it is such a great club. Can't wait to compare.

Did I mention this may be my favorite fairway ever? I’m seeing a gorgeous trajectory with the 3w and the feel is so, so good.

I know it has been money for you off of the tee. Thoughts off the turf? Have you had the opportunity to really go after any Par 5’s with this yet?

I like my Paradym 3HL a lot and was going to try to ignore these fairways but now I want Ai Smart Faces!! 3HL and Heavenwood have entered the ponder storm.

I know it has been money for you off of the tee. Thoughts off the turf? Have you had the opportunity to really go after any Par 5’s with this yet?
Good question. Have not had a chance to try that yet. Only hit it off the turf a few times on the range. No issues or concerns getting it off the turf.

Max, Max D and TD have adjustability in all 3 and 3HL is AWESOME!

I have been begging for a 3D 7 wood. I will be trying one! It may even be a blind buy..

Good question. Have not had a chance to try that yet. Only hit it off the turf a few times on the range. No issues or concerns getting it off the turf.

I figured as much. I look forward to seeing how it treats you in “go mode” scenarios.

IMG_5590.jpegIMG_5591.jpegIMG_5592.jpegIMG_5593.jpeg

IMG_5594.jpegIMG_5595.jpegIMG_5596.jpegIMG_5597.jpeg

Back