Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

The high flight of my 5W is so awesome. I never imagined I would hit a fairway wood so high off the deck. And it is getting plenty of distance. Very impressed with this Max D setup

I have mentioned it before, but this is why I went D/5W up top instead of D/3W. If I need a safe tee shot under 250, the 5W is just a better play for me. The arccos stats are of my new MaxD 5W versus my Speedzone Big Tour 3W. Included Driver to show that I was really gaining nothing with a 3W except maybe the worst driver shots were worse than my bad 3W shots.
IMG_0482.png
IMG_0481.png
IMG_0480.png

I have mentioned it before, but this is why I went D/5W up top instead of D/3W. If I need a safe tee shot under 250, the 5W is just a better play for me. The arccos stats are of my new MaxD 5W versus my Speedzone Big Tour 3W. Included Driver to show that I was really gaining nothing with a 3W except maybe the worst driver shots were worse than my bad 3W shots.
View attachment 9257840
View attachment 9257837
View attachment 9257838
That difference in accuracy! :love:

Into the wind I'll take this anytime. Especially with that height. This AI Smoke 3 wood is so much fun to hit.

1000013408.png

It is more accurate that my 4H and I like that a lot. I might need to look at a 7W
I have the Max D 7W. I haven’t had it out on the course yet but I hit it so well at a Demo day / fitting. The Callaway rep recommended the 7W over a 4H.

I have the Max D 7W. I haven’t had it out on the course yet but I hit it so well at a Demo day / fitting. The Callaway rep recommended the 7W over a 4H.
I really like the 4H. That said, I absolutely LOVE the 5W MaxD. Thanks for letting me know; I think I will give the 7W a try sometime soon

So, the Smoke TD is the best 3w I’ve ever played. It’s not only a beast off the tee, it is easy to hit off the turn as well. I haven’t hit a 3w this consistently ever. One thing that stands out is the ball flight. It’s a lower, more piercing flight than I’ve had before and it doesn’t affect its playability off the turf.

It is more accurate that my 4H and I like that a lot. I might need to look at a 7W
Feel free to try my 7W this weekend, I'll have it in the bag.

Feel free to try my 7W this weekend, I'll have it in the bag.
It is probably the same length as my driver? If not, I will try it

View attachment 9257840
View attachment 9257837
View attachment 9257838
That accuracy is insanity!!

i can't say it enough , but i love my Ai Smoke Max heavenwood more and more each time i pull it out of the bag

I got out yesterday for my first round of the year. I hit the Smoke Max D 3HL fairly well. I think I’m going to like it.

I think the most apparent thing to me so far this year since putting the Max 5W and HW in the bags, is just how much easier to hit well the HW is for me.

Indoors still, but it is crazy how much more success I have with the HW, in terms of quality contact. On a sim, or at the range so far, just so so easy to hit and get good results

Just a small sample, from a guy who still isn't hitting anything great:
1000018593.jpg

20240420_104305.jpg
Try to ignore the whole thing with me hitting a HW farther than my driver as well. I am pretending that isn't happening right now :unsure:

I think the most apparent thing to me so far this year since putting the Max 5W and HW in the bags, is just how much easier to hit well the HW is for me.

Indoors still, but it is crazy how much more success I have with the HW, in terms of quality contact. On a sim, or at the range so far, just so so easy to hit and get good results

Just a small sample, from a guy who still isn't hitting anything great:
View attachment 9259967

View attachment 9259968
Try to ignore the whole thing with me hitting a HW farther than my driver as well. I am pretending that isn't happening right now :unsure:
Not surprising, when my swing was wonky I was hitting the paradym super 10 yards further than the driver.

Not surprising, when my swing was wonky I was hitting the paradym super 10 yards further than the driver.
Lesson on Wednesday, to try and figure some things out. I figure after the grip change I did, that I am down 20-30 yards of carry on average.... and I am not a fan lol.

I'm carrying a new Ai Smoke MAX 15* 3wd this year and couldn't be happier. This is the longest 3wd I've ever played. I hadn't carried a 3wd in a couple years so I had to get in a happy place with ball position and tempo. I'm there, and I'm very happy with this club!

@brians and @BigMac just wanted to let you both know that I was able to get out on the course Saturday and got to hit a few with the Max D 3HL. It was a long off season for me and I was anxious to get the Max D into play. The two of you were a large reason why I considered this club. I followed what you had written here about your experiences with the AI Smoke FWs from your time at the GD and beyond. So, thanks. To me, the reviews from forum members are very important. You both have done well with you reviews here. Although the swing was definitely off from the long off season , the results were promising. I'm looking forward to seeing the full potential of this club for me. I'll keep posting my observations here.

@brians and @BigMac just wanted to let you both know that I was able to get out on the course Saturday and got to hit a few with the Max D 3HL. It was a long off season for me and I was anxious to get the Max D into play. The two of you were a large reason why I considered this club. I followed what you had written here about your experiences with the AI Smoke FWs from your time at the GD and beyond. So, thanks. To me, the reviews from forum members are very important. You both have done well with you reviews here. Although the swing was definitely off from the long off season , the results were promising. I'm looking forward to seeing the full potential of this club for me. I'll keep posting my observations here.
That is great to hear. My first round out after the winter, I definitely chalked up to operator error. Now, the HL is launching exactly like it’s supposed to. Consistently.
Cannot wait to hear how it goes for you as the rust shakes off!

That is great to hear. My first round out after the winter, I definitely chalked up to operator error. Now, the HL is launching exactly like it’s supposed to. Consistently.
Cannot wait to hear how it goes for you as the rust shakes off!
We weren't exactly getting the HL, but the distance and direction were very good. It was a little low launching :LOL: but that's due the off season rust.

Hit the HW for the first time yesterday. Course conditions were tough. Long and tough course, cold and very windy.

First impression is that I hit it well but not sure it is better than the last year Paradym model which I liked. I am not sure why I don't have that club now but for some reason I was thinking about just going to a 7wd instead. Anyway since I only had one round with it and maybe hit it like 3 times I wouldn't say I can give a review on it yet but so far I do like it and it will be in the bag right next to last years Paradym 3HL.

More on it later when I get time to hit it more.

In my lesson working with 5W and Heavenwood, do you think I could make decent contact when I was completely gassed? Goodness no, that was pretty humbling.

It was neat getting to explain the HW though, and how it differed from the 7W when talking about it with the instructor.

Hopefully grabbed a bit of info in that lesson that helps me be more successful overall with both clubs once I get on the course!

Back