Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

That's exactly what I'm pondering. I'd be looking for this to go about the same distance, if not a slightly shorter on full distance (not carry) than my 3H. I'm looking for that higher flight and stopping power on the green - and it might be a choice on the day which one goes in the bag depending on wind and how firm/dry the course and greens are.
TD could be a very good choice for you then, perhaps. Did you get it outside for hitting when pondering? Curious what you thought about the shape and size of it as well compared to the 3H

How is this club compare feel wise to the old gamer?
Have you played a 5w before? it is something I always ponder but typically don't hit woods well.
I like a good 5w but was trying out a utility iron as a more budget option to fill top of bag, but now I’m realizing that I’m hitting my 3w more consistently and getting the desired effect/flighting out of TD so… utility iron is just harder to hit for me for whatever reason. My angle of attack with irons isn’t steep enough so usually I’m having trouble hitting irons fat if trying to get a negative angle of attack or just hitting too far up and losing distance.

“Old” gamer is not actually old, but not the right fit after playing with it for a while. As I mentioned, shaft was one component, but the deeper face gives me more confidence that I can hit it pretty solid. I don’t need the wider face forgiveness that standard Paradym was offering and ended up that my 3w and 5w gapping never felt quite right, plus ease of use was not there. Would say that my 5w was the easier of the two to hit as well.

With TD, better feeling shaft, and just getting more comfort with my swing, I’m getting distance close to or exceeding my driver carry when I really strike it well. It feels like a mini driver almost with how far it can go. 5w would be more for distance gapping, as I am realizing that 280 shot is borderline for my 3w now if it rolls out enough.

I would just say that right now, my comfort is with my Driver and 3w and I feel like capitalizing that comfort would be better long term. Utility iron feels like a struggle more often than not, even though I had immediate success with it in a fitting.

I feel the same about mine. Couldn't be happier about the distance and dispersion I'm now getting out of mine. I'm pondering the TD 7W at 20*
See I thought about that too, but I wonder if I wouldn’t be better off trying to gap in a 5w and not sacrifice distance for off the tee or long approaches. If I can finally get my iron game where it can be, I almost wonder if 7w would be too close to 4i distance. I also wonder if the 7w flight would balloon for me or if it’s low relative to other 7w.

I wish I could fit both in my bag at this point haha TD is just awesome this year to me, it’s such a fun club

I like a good 5w but was trying out a utility iron as a more budget option to fill top of bag, but now I’m realizing that I’m hitting my 3w more consistently and getting the desired effect/flighting out of TD so… utility iron is just harder to hit for me for whatever reason. My angle of attack with irons isn’t steep enough so usually I’m having trouble hitting irons fat if trying to get a negative angle of attack or just hitting too far up and losing distance.

“Old” gamer is not actually old, but not the right fit after playing with it for a while. As I mentioned, shaft was one component, but the deeper face gives me more confidence that I can hit it pretty solid. I don’t need the wider face forgiveness that standard Paradym was offering and ended up that my 3w and 5w gapping never felt quite right, plus ease of use was not there. Would say that my 5w was the easier of the two to hit as well.

With TD, better feeling shaft, and just getting more comfort with my swing, I’m getting distance close to or exceeding my driver carry when I really strike it well. It feels like a mini driver almost with how far it can go. 5w would be more for distance gapping, as I am realizing that 280 shot is borderline for my 3w now if it rolls out enough.

I would just say that right now, my comfort is with my Driver and 3w and I feel like capitalizing that comfort would be better long term. Utility iron feels like a struggle more often than not, even though I had immediate success with it in a fitting.
Love this! I didn’t give the 3/5 wood a shot because my confidence with them is low…..but I like the set up you are working out! Glad you are seeing success with the TD

TD could be a very good choice for you then, perhaps. Did you get it outside for hitting when pondering? Curious what you thought about the shape and size of it as well compared to the 3H
Still pondering in my head - only been a few days. Will give a couple of local pro shops on ranges a call and see what they can provide as a demo over the weekend if all works out.

Picked Up a Smoke max fairway wood. Man am I in love with this club. I can use it as a fairway finder off the tee or hit it on a par 5. this club will be a great asset to my arsenal this summer.

I had Paradym fwast year and problem was it was too shallow for me off the tee and ended putting a sky make on it. Never did that with any other fw I owned.
Are the new models as shallow?

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

I had Paradym fwast year and problem was it was too shallow for me off the tee and ended putting a sky make on it. Never did that with any other fw I owned.
Are the new models as shallow?

I have the 3W TD which I understand is a little deeper in the face than the standard model but off the tee I rarely get underneath it, and if I did the plastic bumper on the front of the crown is there. That said I don't have an issue launching it so I'm tee'ing it down.

It does sound like it is an issue though - reported elsewhere.....

Picked Up a Smoke max fairway wood. Man am I in love with this club. I can use it as a fairway finder off the tee or hit it on a par 5. this club will be a great asset to my arsenal this summer.
Which one did you grab? What shaft did you go with?

I have the 3W TD which I understand is a little deeper in the face than the standard model but off the tee I rarely get underneath it, and if I did the plastic bumper on the front of the crown is there. That said I don't have an issue launching it so I'm tee'ing it down.

It does sound like it is an issue though - reported elsewhere.....
Plastic bumper?

Plastic bumper?

Now I read it back I know that probably isn't the best description even though in my head I know exactly what I mean. See the photo - it is the plastic at the face end of the crown at the front/top of the club and absolutely gives you a little protection and leeway on high on the face strikes. It won't help you if you go completely under the ball - but then I'd say that's a tee height issue.

tests-driver-callaway-paradym-td-2023-ansprechposition-660x440.jpg

Had a fitting this morning expecting either a TSR3 or TD. Ended up walking out with the AI Max 3 wood. The Blue shaft was too soft but put the Project X Denali Black 70 in it and it was so stable. Pares go with Ventus Black 60 in my driver.

Had a fitting this morning expecting either a TSR3 or TD. Ended up walking out with the AI Max 3 wood. The Blue shaft was too soft but put the Project X Denali Black 70 in it and it was so stable. Pares go with Ventus Black 60 in my driver.
What did you see that made the Max the best option?

What did you see that made the Max the best option?
It gave me a low/mid trajectory with good size sweet spot. It was not draw bias and even though it’s not as deep it worked great off a tee. Was getting perfect spin numbers and never ballooned. The TD was too low launch and spin. I will say the blue shaft it comes with ballooned and spin was too high for me.

Still pondering in my head - only been a few days. Will give a couple of local pro shops on ranges a call and see what they can provide as a demo over the weekend if all works out.
Dropped into a pro shop today after getting 18 holes in on a local par 3 with my son. Got to line up a 7 wood against the 3H - although it was the standard Paradym not the TD. In summary for me a more pleasing profile when you look down on it - deeper, less bulbous, less of a closed face/draw bias. Didn't look too small compared to the 3W or 5W.

Also got a look at the AI Smoke 7W and 5W and they are stunning.

My challenge is getting a stiff shaft on a 7W in a used model if possible, rather than buying new and getting a custom shaft fitted, but I think I might have a line on one.

Now I read it back I know that probably isn't the best description even though in my head I know exactly what I mean. See the photo - it is the plastic at the face end of the crown at the front/top of the club and absolutely gives you a little protection and leeway on high on the face strikes. It won't help you if you go completely under the ball - but then I'd say that's a tee height issue.

View attachment 9256374
Just a heads up, it isn't plastic.

It is part of the chassis, that top isn't tacked on, it is the same material the hosel
20231204_171347.jpg

20231204_171344.jpg20231204_171341.jpg

1000018368.jpg

View attachment 9256374
Hit it at golf store on simulator and overall liked it. Nice feel with Denali shaft and hit some high launching bombs with it. But it had tendency to go left on me and I think 2600 is a bit low spin for 3 wood.

Tried a few other 3 wood including g430 max and Mizuno STG and it was better than those...

Ironically I ended up buying something not on my radar. The g425 woods went in sale and tried the last in flat position. Penetrating dead straight to baby fade shots.. couldn't miss left and even the right misses were near centerline.

Launch was 11 with about 3000-3100 spin vs 3D at 13 and 2650.

Distance similar but got there differently.
Ball speed was on average similar 3D had 2 that hit 151 though vs 149 max on the ping.

I opted for straight and lower that is more controllable. Didn't try the Max head to be honest. Maybe would have been better.

I put a Graphite Design AD HD in my Triple D 5 wood. It definitely is launching higher than it was with the Denali shaft. I can’t determine yet whether the re-shaft made the club better for me. On TrackMan it did, but it seemed a bit spinny out on the course today. More swings are needed in real playing conditions.

.... My challenge is getting a stiff shaft on a 7W in a used model if possible, rather than buying new and getting a custom shaft fitted, but I think I might have a line on one.
Well the good news is that I have just won myself a tour issue 7W TD with a Hzrdus red stiff shaft on eBay, unused, and it should be with me in the week....

The bad news (not really bad news) is that it is a Paradym rather than an AI Smoke so I'll need to excuse myself from this discussion and try to find the equivalent Paradym one !!

Great price though, even if you ignore the fact that it is tour issue, and it'll match in nicely with my Paradym 3W TD.

Lots of rain these last few days. The AI smoke Max D 3W got a workout. Just couldn’t get anything to hit out of the puddles on the fairway (and rough, I’m not THAT consistent)

IMG_4232.jpeg
Pictured: Fairways a little wet
But at different courses this thing was a game changer this week. I shot a +26 one of the rounds so it shows how badly I needed help.
Off the tee as others have raved about, it’s straight as an arrow. Really not much to talk about there. I really thought I’d never replace my Epic 3 wood. Ever. It used to be my “the club you are least likely to replace” thread answer.

IMG_4241.jpeg
Pictured: off the tee. Holy moly

But the real reason I’m loving this is for the versatility. High on a hill. Under a tree (with plenty of room to swing) a million miles from the hole.

IMG_4218.jpeg
Not Pictured: the hole far off to the left.
My fairway woods are short by 1/4” and it makes such a nice difference when using them for oddball shots.

IMG_4242.jpeg
Pictured: the result.
Confidence in these clubs because the entire face is littered with safe spots makes “going for it” so much less risky.

Range on Saturday, for the first outdoor swings of the year.
With everything going on swing/confidence wise, I attempted to go through my bag, and got to the 5W and HW.

5W, swing issues, and poor contact. That might happen when hitting on turf/dirt tighter than a hitting mat.

Heavenwood though? You would have thought there was nothing wrong with me at all. The launch, the straight ball flight, I was just shaking my head. I should just bag 13 Heavenwoods and a Putter. Pretty sure I would be smiles all day long.

Range on Saturday, for the first outdoor swings of the year.
With everything going on swing/confidence wise, I attempted to go through my bag, and got to the 5W and HW.

5W, swing issues, and poor contact. That might happen when hitting on turf/dirt tighter than a hitting mat.

Heavenwood though? You would have thought there was nothing wrong with me at all. The launch, the straight ball flight, I was just shaking my head. I should just bag 13 Heavenwoods and a Putter. Pretty sure I would be smiles all day long.
So we never got to play together so I only saw your range play. Do you generally play a straight ball with the heavenwood? Its just interesting when I hear someone hitting straight balls at the top of the bag versus a draw/fade.

So we never got to play together so I only saw your range play. Do you generally play a straight ball with the heavenwood? Its just interesting when I hear someone hitting straight balls at the top of the bag versus a draw/fade.
Normally with the Heavenwood from the fairway it is straight to a slight fade. No worries about a big right or left miss, as it usually stays shockingly straight, and that is with all the stupid swing stuff I have going on right now.

Back