Callaway Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, and Chrome Soft Golf Balls

I am excited to get more time with these this weekend. I was able to play one round with the Tour X and liked what I saw. Plenty of stopping power and impressive distance off the tee. I am going to try the Tour to start my next round and super excited given the initial thoughts in comparison to the X LS.

Great article @Hawk!

I see some expensive ball testing in my 2024 future

Website already showing plenty more options than that chart for the X!

Part of the test survey. Here are my thoughts.

Last year I was primarily an CSX LS player

One dozen received in a white box with green dot. 2 sleeves each, tour and Tour X.

Putter: the Tour ball provided a soft sound. Very pleasant and soft feel. The Triple Track present as per normal.
Tour X was found to have a slightly higher pitch. Not “clicky” or obnoxious but noticeably different. Triple Track same.

54 and 58 degree Mizuno T24 wedges;
Tour was slightly softer on partial shots and remained a little more muted. I did not experience a big change in spin. Each shot was very consistent.

Full wedge shots things changed for me:
Tour ball was easier to keep down the flight. This was launch related.
58 degree tour launched 28 degrees on a 60 yard shot.
58 Tour X launched 31–32 degrees consistently on a 60 yard shot.

7 iron (Apex CB 34 degrees) 175 yard carry
Tour launched at 19 degrees with peak height at 105ft
Tour X launched 22 at 110 feet
The Tour felt softer with little difference for myself in actual spin

Cobra King Tec 18 degree hybrid
Tour ball felt slightly softer and more muted with a 233 carry. (I didn’t write down the launch for some reason)
Tour X carried 237. A little louder. A little bit firmer but nothing to complain about.

Driver. Rogue ST Max 8 degrees
Tour Ball speed 167. This is fast. I am usually in the 163-165. Launch was 14 degrees on a very nice ball flight. I did not have any of my ten shots miss fairway. Peak height 102 feet

Tour X. Top ball speed 171. I did hit a few that were wayward and I blame that mostly on strike with me reacting to the speed. Launch was 17 degrees. Peak height 122 feet.

Total distance and carry within 2 yards.

The consistency and feel of the Tour put it in my bag for the season. When the world dries out I might switch to the X but not likely. The Tour wanted to go straight.

Early thoughts from THP? Where do yinz see yourself fitting in here? The Chrome Tour should appeal to a lot of folks.

It will take one round before you completely jump over if you are a LS user. They got the feel right, got the spin right and gave us a bit more speed.
I think this is accurate. It is unreal with the driver. And didn’t lose anything with the irons

One dozen received in a white box with green dot. 2 sleeves each, tour and Tour X.

Putter: the Tour ball provided a soft sound. Very pleasant and soft feel. The Triple Track present as per normal.
Tour X was found to have a slightly higher pitch. Not “clicky” or obnoxious but noticeably different. Triple Track same.

Tour was slightly softer on partial shots and remained a little more muted. I did not experience a big change in spin. Each shot was very consistent.

Tour ball felt slightly softer and more muted with a 233 carry. (I didn’t write down the launch for some reason)
Tour X carried 237. A little louder. A little bit firmer but nothing to complain about.

Tour Ball speed 167. This is fast. I am usually in the 163-165. Launch was 14 degrees on a very nice ball flight. I did not have any of my ten shots miss fairway. Peak height 102 feet

Tour X. Top ball speed 171. I did hit a few that were wayward and I blame that mostly on strike with me reacting to the speed. Launch was 17 degrees. Peak height 122 feet.

The consistency and feel of the Tour put it in my bag for the season. When the world dries out I might switch to the X but not likely. The Tour wanted to go straight.

Those are some serious jumps in ball speed. Damn.

Regardless of whether you put their balls into play, it would be foolish to diminish the effort Callaway puts into innovation in the golf ball space. They’ve come a long, long way in a short time. Making inroads in this market segment is insanely difficult, and many of the David’s have settled for battling amongst themselves instead of toppling Goliath. Still, great products with great messaging succeed more often than not, and Callaway’s 2024 Chrome Tour line looks promising.

Continue reading...

This is exciting. I switched over to the chrome soft triple track from prov1 last year and found the feel to be phenomenal. I think callaway is a force to reckon with in their golf ball game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eventually, my test samples will arrive here and I can participate in the testing.

Buddy of mine has his GC3 set up as a sim, so I can side by side the two and give those launch and spin Q&A’s.

Really hoping to at least get a shipping notification by end of the week, I have no clue how many other testers are still waiting :/

I am going to keep my thoughts as brief as possible for now and keep adding more as I play.

I have been switching between Chrome Soft And Chrome Soft XLS all year. Basically, I love the feel of the ‘23 CS and the performance of the ‘23 CSXLS. Telling the fitter this, he recommended that I try the Chrome Tour and I enjoyed playing it at The Hideaway.

My game was not on point, but I hit some really good drives with the ball. I still want to try Chrome Soft, but the fitter worried that my iron spin might be a tad low. He said CS would probably be better with my driver (I had too much spin with ‘23 CSX range balls) but to give them both a try. I received two dozen of the CT while at Callaway and have 19 left after the weekend.

I love that they are coming out with Yellow balls throughout the Chrome Tour lineup whether at retail or direct through their website.

I took it to chip with today. I like the feel better than CSXLS off my Jaws Raw wedges. When I want to hit a spinner 58 degree, I found it easier with CT. I play a lot of lower shots with 50 and 46 degree set wedges and they roll out like I want.

The white color is better. I took a few pictures today at the course. First picture is after I chipped awhile with ‘23 CSXLS TruTrack vs CT and cleaned two balls with a wet towel. The second picture is before I cleaned them.

IMG_6757.jpegIMG_6756.jpeg
I don’t have a great idea of what the difference distance is for me (if any) but will try to get on a trackman soon to compare the CT to the ‘23 CSXLS and CS for a slower swing speed like myself. Weather permitting, I will be playing this weekend and will continue providing feedback. Ask me anything and I will try to answer.

Thanks for the launch data

360 TT will be available on all balls direct from Callaway. The graphic shows just what's available at retail
This makes me very happy.

Still think this demands some on course testing. Spin launch and height are up with the new irons so if greenside the Chrome Tour can deliver it could be an option.

Early thoughts from THP? Where do yinz see yourself fitting in here? The Chrome Tour should appeal to a lot of folks.
Should be tour for me. Need to get more comfortable around the greens for me with it. I seemed to get just a little more check with lsx on chips but it wasn’t the greens I’m used to either

There was a thread back in early November about testing a new ball and what do you play now....I was lucky enough to be selected and these were sent out right before Christmas. I received 2 sleeves of the Chrome Tour and Two sleeves of the Chrome Tour X. I have three rounds under my belt so far and might i say OMG! I love how the lines are different with pointed ends. < okay let me say, i would prefer having the center line to be longer than the outside two Blue lines. No biggie, i extend mine.

I will also say that i have played 3 different courses with he balls and i am partial to the Chrome Tour over the Chrome Tour X. I have also shot two of the lowest scores that i have shot in a long time. The Bridges in Gunter Texas i had a 76 front he Blue Tees then a couple of days later, i shot 78 at the Plantation in Frisco Texas from the Blue Tees. My first round i played at Irving Golf Course i spun a third shot from 75 yards for eagle, i really mean hop, hop, spin to the right, drop! When i played the Bridges, I was hitting chip shots that stopped and sat within kick in putt range.

I did Pop into the PGASS yesterday to grab some numbers after i did the on line survey....6 shots with each ball with each club

7 iron with club head speed between 81 to 84
Chrome Tour X ball speeds avg 109.9 spin rates avg 6080 launch of 17.7 deg overall dist 163.3, (carry 157.7)
Chrome Tour 112.1 6390 19 deg 166.7 (carry 159.4)

9 Iron swing speed between 78 and 80.4
Chrome Tour X ball between 89.9 and 92.3; spin 6480-6800 distance of 137-139 total of 143 best
Chrome Tour 99.6-102 7150-7740 143-146 151 best

I did hit some Driver shots and the avg was 257.1 the other info did not download to my app just avg distance...More later as i get more rounds, but I love this ball
I Will add that i am putting like crazy with he Chrome Tour, using a Marksman Fang, grabbed it out of the corner on a whim and rolling it like crazy, It just seems like they took all the good from what i have use din the past, and made a Chrome Tour

IMG_3722.jpegIMG_3721.jpeg

I was part of the test group , but unfortunately haven't received the balls yet. When i receive them i'm really excited to test and give thoughts. I'm worried they were lost in the mail (holiday cross border madness 2023!)

Got some TP5x and ProV1x ready to to do a great big Trackman ball'off with!!!!

Eventually, my test samples will arrive here and I can participate in the testing.

Buddy of mine has his GC3 set up as a sim, so I can side by side the two and give those launch and spin Q&A’s.

Really hoping to at least get a shipping notification by end of the week, I have no clue how many other testers are still waiting :/
Still waiting too. Hoping before rounds this weekend to do a side by side comparison

Cannot wait to give these a go. Had placed ProV1X last year as it simply did better for my game but love what I’m seeing at first glance with the CTX.

I spent the majority of my time with the Chrome Tour during my golf at the Hideaway. After reading about the technology they are using to produce it, and their attention to detail in the materials and the adjustments in the dimple pattern - it’s hard not to get excited.

Chrome Soft has been a big part of my last couple years. The idea that they can improve on it in the places I want, while maintaining things like lower spin off the driver is enormously important to me. I’m really looking forward to seeing what that means when I get back on the course again.

I really think the dimple pattern is not discussed enough. In fact, I’d go As far as saying considering it is one of the most obvious technologies out there, it is woefully ignored. Maybe these tolerances being tightened will force the discussion, or the issue with some others.

Lucky I have some of these to test out :) If I ever get some decent weather.

This is the exact one to want to try out!
I played the CSX LS all year and this ball feels so much better. Better results across the board.

Time to order a drop shipment (pallet) full of them!

Back