Callaway Apex Pro Series Irons

I completely forgot that the utility was offered here. I can't justify it taking the spot of the Pro 4i, but it's nice to know options are out there.
I have both, I prefer the utility for the tee and turf combo, but both are fun.

I think my apex pro 5-6 iron flew more in the air than the ball did when I swung it. I can feel the club getting stuck in the turf at impact and it’s starting to show in the results.

May need to have someone take a look at them and see what the deal is :/

I will also say again, this utility release isn’t getting enough talk.

I was ready to move on from mine until yesterday when I remembered how easy it is for me to hit from tee and turf. And it’s freaking HOT.
I have 2 UTs and could not hit them solid.. so I switched out one of the shafts.. and pretty sure that was my issue.. so can’t wait to hit it more with the new shaft

First course action today since the swap and the Pros are so easy to hit in the middle iron range. Hit all 3 par 3 greens in regulation. Hit several really good iron shots from the dead bermuda fairways that found their way to some 2 putt pars. Greens weren't very receptive. Kind of surprising for this time of year but they didn't hold any wedge shots today either. The Recoil Dart really made the 9 10 and 11 irons feel so much better

I think my apex pro 5-6 iron flew more in the air than the ball did when I swung it. I can feel the club getting stuck in the turf at impact and it’s starting to show in the results.

May need to have someone take a look at them and see what the deal is :/
This is why the CB’s were better for me than the Pro’s.

Limited sample size today but I could feel more ground with the Pros today than the CBs. Not a bad thing and weren't any heavy, just different.

I may see if I can demo a CB head at my club if they have one. I haven’t hit them yet, and that’s kind of on me

I may see if I can demo a CB head at my club if they have one. I haven’t hit them yet, and that’s kind of on me
Way more playable than you’ll expect, for me the soles were the difference as I for whatever reason wouldn’t get stuck with the Pro’s, but cut through with the CB

Way more playable than you’ll expect, for me the soles were the difference as I for whatever reason wouldn’t get stuck with the Pro’s, but cut through with the CB
I kept thinking it was me, but then I’d go to fairway woods and stripe them. Flip back to the pros, poor contact. Go to wedges, solid contact again. Super freakin weird and frustrating

I kept thinking it was me, but then I’d go to fairway woods and stripe them. Flip back to the pros, poor contact. Go to wedges, solid contact again. Super freakin weird and frustrating
We are both insane.

Did a little switcharoo with shafts last week. Took out the MMT 105TX shafts and put in my LA 120 L-Series TX from my 923 JPX tours and had them extended a 1/4". What difference that made. I mentioned in the Chrome Tour thread that I had made my decision and going with the X. I can't help but wonder how much of an impact the shaft swapping made in my decision. The feel I'm getting now that I'm hitting in the center of the face, was a little toe side with the shorter shafts. Such a more solid feeling, not a light click at impact. Kinda like comparing a deep milled putter to an almost smooth face. Wish I could remember what my mizzys feel like, but I want put money on the Callaway that they feel better. They definitely cut through the turf way better, they don't drag or get hung up, just slice through it and it's awesome. The beautiful penetrating flight that just cuts through the wind as well, it's really pretty lol. I gained a lot of confidence on Saturday playing in the conditions I was in. This set up with the secret weapon of my 16* UT that's used off the tee or for about 250 out is just money.

In speaking of the UT, I was honestly considering replacing it because I hate the feel with range balls. Saturday I used it 3 times, twice off the tee and they all felt so good with real balls and with great flight. I still have the MMT 105 TX shaft in this and based on Saturday it's doing just fine.

Last edited:
Still struggling to trust a smoother tempo so hitting a bunch of pulls but contact is often decent so I at least get to enjoy the awesome feel of the Pros which is only enhanced by the Recoil Dart 105 shafts

I still haven't gotten into anywhere with a decent shaft selection to do even a mediocre fitting. I'm close to just pulling the trigger with my previous shaft.

It's time for an update on the Apex CB irons. I am playing the CB 5-11 with KBS Tour 130x. I have been playing that shaft for my last few sets of irons and happy I stayed with them for the Apex. My handicap currently is a 4. Everyone on the internet hits the ball high, but I actually do. Preferred shot shape is a small cut, but generally hit it pretty straight.

Not surprisingly, I play my worst golf during the winter months--dormant grass, wind, cold, and lack of consistent play tend to lead to bad scores. Perhaps not the ideal time to transition into new irons, but it has not been an issue at all for me. It's been a blessing in disguise to test these out during less-than-ideal conditions because it has allowed the CB irons to shine. Callaway redesigned the sole of the CB irons with a pre-worn leading edge to help with getting into the turf and pre-worn trail edge to exit cleanly. Whatever they did, it works. Most of my rounds this year have been in wet to soggy conditions with thin grass, which traditionally leads to chunks and digging for me. With the CB irons, I have no fear that the iron digging into the turf and coming up way short. Turf interaction has been smooth and easy for me. When it comes to the 10 and 11 iron, that is absolutely crucial and iron play has been a strong area of my game early this season. I mentioned it earlier in the thread that I hit the MB irons incredibly well on artificial turf, but on grass the CB irons were the clear winner with the sole and extra bounce they have.

I am putting an iron like the CB into the bag because I am looking for control and consistency. I am not looking for all-out distance, but distance control and the CB delivers. They are also very consistent with spin and launch. Hitting them on my Bushnell launch monitor, I am impressed with how tight the spin is from shot to shot. That consistency in spin makes it easy to control the distance. I did bend mine strong to fit my gaps and help get my launch and spin where it needs to be. I did the same thing with my previous set of irons, which were a CB/MB combo.

CB irons are not going to be the most forgiving irons by their nature, but I have been pleasantly surprised with the forgiveness of these. My misses as of late have been towards the heel and based on how it felt at impact I was expecting the worst. On the heel misses, I am seeing lower launch and flight, with less spin, but it's flying straight and minimal distance loss.

I have both, I prefer the utility for the tee and turf combo, but both are fun.
I really liked my original Apex UT, caved the face and was sent a first gen X Forged UT to replace it. Have never really been sold on it, just never replaced it with anything else. Wonder if it's time to finally move on and get the 18°...

I still haven't gotten into anywhere with a decent shaft selection to do even a mediocre fitting. I'm close to just pulling the trigger with my previous shaft.
Are you trading anything in? I think the Trade In Bonus goes until 4.15.

I’m quite pleased with the distances I am hitting the Apex Pro + UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 105F4 combo. I’m looking forward to warmer temps and more rounds to dial them in even more.
That combo is so fricking good! I too can't wait for warm weather. Ready to do some golf in 70-80s temps!

It does, which is why I'm about a rch from pulling the trigger.
I sent in the CBs for a combo set and it cost me a 4 iron and $95 to "upgrade" to Dart 105 shafts that I was going to buy and do anyways. Luck sometimes comes my way lol

It does, which is why I'm about a rch from pulling the trigger.
Is there something you are wanting to try? I'm surprised you don't have someone near you with options.

The scoring irons 8 & 9 irons on the Apex Pro are starting to shine. I’m settling in to what I can expect from these. Ball flight and Apex are there and dispersion is very good. I am not expecting unrealistic results from these and know where I can try to push. Balls speeds are faster than what I was seeing from the Paradym irons. However, distance is about 5-7yds less than what I was.

IMG_2957.jpeg

Is there something you are wanting to try? I'm surprised you don't have someone near you with options.
Local EW has lots of ultra light and ladies flex graphite, or OG Project X 6.5. I do know I don't like the stock shaft. I don't feel like I get along with the Elevate Tour anymore, and probably just going to bite the bullet and go back to the PX LZ 6.0, and get the 8-10 CBs 1° strong to match the Pros.

First real scoring rounds with these irons yesterday. There were some DARTS thrown yesterday. There was also a moment in time where my swing left my irons and I had to fix it with a range session after the round. Once it was fixed, I feel like I unlocked these during the second 9 I played.

First thing about the Pros AND the CBs. Oh my god I love the feel. Of them both. Of course the CBs feel great, but these Pros. Sound and feel have been nailed. Especially comparing them to the 21 Pros and the little bit of extra clickiness you got there. I had TCBs last year and there's a bit more dense-ness here but it's not harsh at all and actually makes them feel a bit more responsive to me. Huge fan.

Turf interaction has been a point of conversation here. I had ZERO issues when I was on actual grass. Like a knife through butter every time. We still have mats out for our par 3s and they are the worst mats of all time. So I had a bit of grabbing and chunking there but from turf is perfect.

Distance/forgiveness is the last thing to touch on for now. Distance was perfection when I connected with one. I said DARTS, I meant DARTS. Firing at pins was easy when I was swinging well. Then the little hitch came in and I was missing the center. I wasn't seeing any better forgiveness than I saw with my TCBs. And by that I mean like none 😅 I will say it was windy so that, no doubt, could have eaten up some of the poor strikes. Without another round under my belt without the wind, I can't speak fully there though since I didn't see much extra help on shots I was hoping to see help on when I didn't find center. I'm not worried though. Once I fixed the little swing issue, I was dropping dimes on the range pins at the distances I wanted so who needs forgiveness when you can paint the center of the face 😜

Overall, the score and GIR stats didn't show it, but I'm happy and looking forward to more play with these moving forward!

Probably playing Thursday, unless my course is super saturated from the upcoming rain tomorrow. If not, it’ll be next week.

Probably should check for the CB demo next time I’m there

Back