Brand Talk: What comes to mind when you think of PING?

I think it will be very interesting to see if there are differences in the sentiment towards brands that are sponsors vs non-sponsors of THP.
I find this a little off putting, but so be it (just me personally). Nobody on here including our staff has a clue how our partnerships work.

f**k, I mean go check out a recent Wilson Thread. THP Sponsor.

THP has partnered with every single brand in golf over the last decade and some WE choose to keep and others we do not.
These are peoples thoughts, not that of THP. The defense mechanism by some is just as odd, but people find interest in things be it personal attachment or otherwise.

I think it will be very interesting to see if there are differences in the sentiment towards brands that are sponsors vs non-sponsors of THP.
Tbh other than Cleveland golf which is in the name of this forum, I have no idea which brands sponsor this site.

PING. 🤣

And I’ve been a PING fanboy a long long time. But, I’m also not afraid to call them on things.

Let the manufacturer free from sin cast the first stone…?

I get it of course, interesting (and fun tbh) to read everyone’s take.

I find this a little off putting, but so be it (just me personally). Nobody on here including our staff has a clue how our partnerships work.

f**k, I mean go check out a recent Wilson Thread. THP Sponsor.

THP has partnered with every single brand in golf over the last decade and some WE choose to keep and others we do not.
These are peoples thoughts, not that of THP. The defense mechanism by some is just as odd, but people find interest in things be it personal attachment or otherwise.
Right, I agree with that. I think I did a better job clarifying in my next post. I'm not saying that THP, the staff, or individual users are biased towards certain brands. What I'm curious about, and it's just my own curiosity, is if the sentiment of brands that actively work with THP and the users (those of us responding in those potential threads) are different than those we as members don't have an amazing opportunity to get to know better or sit down and have meals with.

Just a bit of a thought experiment for me. I didn't have any intention of accusing anyone on THP or staff of having bias for any certain brand over the other. I'm sorry if that's how it came across. Not intentional.

Reactions: JB
Right, I agree with that. I think I did a better job clarifying in my next post. I'm not saying that THP, the staff, or individual users are biased towards certain brands. What I'm curious about, and it's just my own curiosity, is if the sentiment of brands that actively work with THP and the users (those of us responding in those potential threads) are different than those we as members don't have an amazing opportunity to get to know better or sit down and have meals with.

Just a bit of a thought experiment for me. I didn't have any intention of accusing anyone on THP or staff of having bias for any certain brand over the other. I'm sorry if that's how it came across. Not intentional.
I get it.
Here is the example. Go look at any Wilson thread.
Another example would be Bridgestone as of late.
Or Cleveland. Or Honma.

Legendary Oklahoma State University golf coach Mike Holder insisted that his team play cavity back irons, so for decades that school's players had Ping irons.
Hi, Stillwater resident here for…oh, my life. Hahaha

1) Holder is an ass.

2) OSU is still essentially a PING school.

3) They didn’t play PING because of the cavity backs…see the name of the home course…Karsten Creek. Dolla dolla y’all.

I get it.
Here is the example. Go look at any Wilson thread.
Another example would be Bridgestone as of late.
Or Cleveland. Or Honma.
Yep, I get what your saying as well, and have been an active part of both Bridgestone ball and Honma hybrid threads.

I don't think Ping ever made a persimmon wood. I have seen a lot of laminates over the years but no persimmon. A search on line has turned up a number of clubs being sold as persimmon that are laminates. I guess the young ones think all woods that are wood must be persimmon. Not so......... like this. NOT persimmon
I'm very aware that Ping used laminated wood for their woods. Laminated wood is simply thin layers of wood glued tother. I never did any research on them but I always assumed some of the wood used in their laminate process was persimmon. This morning I did a quick search and found Ping used maple, I couldn't find anything telling me other woods were also used so I suppose it all could have been layers of maple.

I think the best stand bag (hoofer) ever created.... when I was a looper, we used to call bags that felt light "ping bags" regardless if it was a Ping bag or not...

I then think of a golf tech company that has been surpassed; they were the originators I feel of customization in terms of fitting but now every other company has passed them by...

I’m going to untuck my shirt and play a yellow ball to counter the “old man” stigma with Pings. Or does the yellow ball just enhance it?

#identitycrisis

I've always thought of PING as very effective and well engineered tools but never the most endearing to look at ......
Great change to the acoustics for the G430 LST aftering trying the 410 LST.....

Still not in love with overall visuals (turbulators, dragonfly, toe weights ) but durability and solid-ness make up for it......
BIG factor for me also is they make almost entire lineup for us SOUTHPAWS !!!

Never truly had much PING in the bag until this past year but I'll be hard pressed to move off most of my setup as currently constructed.20230811_200556.jpg20230811_200700.jpg

Last edited:
Back