Brand Talk: What comes to mind when you think of PING?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Simple question. When you hear/see/think about PING, what comes to mind and why?

Old trying to get younger while also more expensive and not sure how to achieve it.

Old mans gear.

My Dad and Grandfather played PING when I was growing up, and I always associated it with older golfers. Still do.

Also, “We are PING and you’re not” mentality is still alive and well with them, imo.

Being candid- it stirs memories of the old standard for irons that has been surpassed by other brands...

Also the story JB told about the bill for autographs at an experience.....

• Staff
Also, “We are PING and you’re not” mentality is still alive and well with them, imo.
it's so true isn't it? I know you and I joke about it quite a bit, because we have a history of being in that PING bloodline.

Interesting that most of the first comments in here reference "old"

For me, since I was fit into a Ping putter I think about their putters, and I've seen a few people with their drivers.

I don't think of them at all as an iron / wedge company - however with Victor's new commercials I know they at least make them now.

Ping to me is a cult, which i mean in the nicest way. It doesn't feel like a vendor you just try.....you either only use Ping, or you don't use them at all

Anser putter or Ping Eye 2 irons.

When I first started golf and the visibility on TV Ping was a big brand. My first set of irons were Ping Eye 2's

it's so true isn't it? I know you and I joke about it quite a bit, because we have a history of being in that PING bloodline.
Yup, we do, but it’s still amazing how true it is.

And, I believe it’s only going to get MORE true in coming years….

Interesting that most of the first comments in here reference "old"
Episode 2 Abc GIF by The Bachelorette

Underwhelmed. The handful of PING clubs I have tried left me wanting something else.

Their gear has never resonated with me, no clue why, but I have not once ever been interested in their equipment.

Underwhelmed. The handful of PING clubs I have tried left me wanting something else.
Same, same, same.

I think it was the i20s that sooo many people loved. I hit them, and thought "meh".

Good equipment that just isn’t my jam.. that’s is what I think.

I think they do the game improvement category well. They have great equipment for tour level and low caps but I don't think it really shines with all the other OEM's marketing. They have a good tech story but I think their ugly clubs get in the way with their image. Personally I think the PLD stuff was intriguing but they overshot on the price.

I think they do the game improvement category well. They have great equipment for tour level and low caps but I don't think it really shines with all the other OEM's marketing. They have a good tech story but I think their ugly clubs get in the way with their image. Personally I think the PLD stuff was intriguing but they overshot on the price.
All I can say on that is buckle up, because price and ping are going to go hand in hand going forward.

Good equipment that just isn’t my jam.. that’s is what I think.
That's about where I am with it.

My Dad loves Ping and hits them well.

I rolled the PLD Milled and was impressed.

Consistent.

They know what they do well and don't stray too far from it. When you buy a Ping, you pretty much know what to expect. There are pros to that, but I also think they get left behind a bit when it comes to innovation.

For me, I think it's an older gentleman that plays golf and wants to show that he has money. Now that I've been golfing a while, that is not the case. But that is what would come to mind possibly it's because most the people use to see playing them were older.

I came here to say some version of “old” but a lot of people beat me to it. I really only think about their driver at this point.

They are turning into the white Nike Monarchs of golf.

All I can say on that is buckle up, because price and ping are going to go hand in hand going forward.
Reading a bit between the lines- there must be something coming that's going to be in the wtf category.

Back