4010262C-A25D-4D41-BBAF-9B6B93C6C23E.jpeg4010262C-A25D-4D41-BBAF-9B6B93C6C23E.jpeg
I got this Barred Owl earlier tonight. They are neat birds.

Deer hunting while sitting on a fallen tree I had a Horned Owl fly seemingly right at my face. He/She perched on a branch just above my left shoulder. Awesome bird!

One time, while hunting in a climbing tree stand, I had a fully mature red tail hawk, glide in and perch on a branch about 20 feet from me! Then, it stared at me, and started giving me "the look". Like it was going to come and try to eat my face! I took off my cap and waved it at the bird, to show him that I was not some small fry! I had read enough articles about bowhunters in tree stands being attacked by hawks to know better!

Last edited:
What are the most frequent bird strikes at the airfield?

Despite being so close to the ocean, we don’t actually have a massive bird strike issue here. We do tend to see crows in quite large numbers at certain parts of the year. They can be a little stubborn to clear sometimes. The good thing is they are so intelligent, they know when to move and where to go. Gulls on the other hand won’t lift until it’s too late, and are almost guaranteed to get hit. Thankfully, they are rare visitors. At Heathrow we used to lift them in their hundreds on early mornings. An owl was found on the runway a couple of nights ago, a big one too apparently (one of our cops found it, so no photos were taken, so not sure what type of owl).
The worst bird jobs were during my time at Heathrow when we would get swans land on the runway. They’d be migrating, see the wet runway and thinking it was a river would land. They would then be too tired to take off again. We’d have to go out there and wrestle the bloody things into the back of a vehicle and take them to swan rescue just off the airfield (swans are highly protected in the UK, like golden eagles here). You’d have to check a jacket over their head to disorientate them, and then grab em round the body so their wings couldn’t flap (or punch you in the face). Once they were in the vehicle on your lap, provided the head remained covered, they would stay fairly chill. If the jacket came off their head, everyone in the vehicle was screwed LOL.
Normally if I find a dead bird, it’s a good amount of time spent trying to figure out what the hell it is LOL. Luckily, we can send remains off to the Smithsonian to get them correctly identified.

Next time I find something, I’ll post a pic here and someone can tell me what it is LOL.

Not a great picture, but I saw this Swainson Hawk in flight and landed on this house.
22EE5EE0-8CDD-4709-ABEA-ED94AAF83734.jpeg

My kids and I saw a large swan fly over our house last night. Couldn't tell it if was the native Trumpeter, or a non-native Mute, but either way it was a sight to behold. So low you could hear the large wings flapping.

While walking outside yesterday I noticed a Mockingbird. I've see a Mockingbird in our backyard over the spring, and some in the summer, but hadn't seen it for a few months. I enjoy listening to the many calls this bird can do, and just sat there for a while. I counted around 20 different calls this bird did in that 10-15 minutes. Just amazing.

Ok THP twitchers, help me identify this bird for the FAA. Some kind of sparrow?
DD0142AB-2F30-41F3-9504-A9FBF23E0E95.jpeg
1B8B6ECE-FDBD-42CB-B44F-A4D3BA34E58D.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like it could be an adult male Lesser Goldfinch, a yellow-rumpled warbler or possibly a Pine Siskin. RIP Bird.
I went for House Finch. I’ll find out in about a week what it actually was.

I’d say it’s a male Goldfinch in its winter plumage. Notice the tail looks the same.

1D996ABB-4EEA-460D-82D0-5D96FC0EFCC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Had a large flock of mostly Rusty Blackbirds move from the woods nearby to our yard. Small flocks come to the woods every year, then these flocks accumulate, stay for a bit, then head out as one large group. Stunning how many birds there are.

20211119_084251.jpg
20211119_084302.jpg
20211119_084308.jpg

Last edited:
I spotted 2 Bald Eagles in flight near the river today.

Went to the World Bird Sanctuary today and got to handle Trevor. He’s a Eurasian Eagle Owl. Pretty cool.370E59E1-F43E-401E-9134-DB17766C401E.jpeg

My kids and I saw a large swan fly over our house last night. Couldn't tell it if was the native Trumpeter, or a non-native Mute, but either way it was a sight to behold. So low you could hear the large wings flapping.

I've had Trumpeters go over the house the past 2 out of 3 nights. They will wake me up out of a sound sleep, I can hear them so clearly! They always show up around Thanksgiving, so they are right on time!

Have some feeders outside and really enjoy watching the little birds fly around. Just at my last quick glance I saw some Juncos, House Finches, Fox Sparrows, and a Black Capped Chickadee.

Here, the Junco are a sign that winter is here, as they come down from Canada. It's always interesting to see how right they are with their timing. They were spot on this year.

One of my favorites we get around here are the Black Capped Chickadees though. Always let me get real close, and the just love their call, which is easy to mimic. My kids think I'm crazy when I have a little conversation with the little guys!

Went to the World Bird Sanctuary today and got to handle Trevor. He’s a Eurasian Eagle Owl. Pretty cool.View attachment 9048219
That's awesome! We have a bird sanctuary at a garden near us that has the same type of owl. My kids can imitate its screech pretty well and they usually have a bit of back and forth. An amazing creature!

That's awesome! We have a bird sanctuary at a garden near us that has the same type of owl. My kids can imitate its screech pretty well and they usually have a bit of back and forth. An amazing creature!

My Dad used to be able to call Quail that were out in he field with his whistle! He could get them to answer back!

Spotted a Pileated Woodpecker behind my house today. This is an example of what he looks like.
E7138DA1-1A5F-494C-A58F-91EEE376BB9D.jpeg

C3EF2BA1-74C1-47A7-B0DD-14DE500E0C0A.jpeg
I spotted this Red Shouldered Hawk on my walk today. He’s all puffed up because it is a little colder than it has been.

Saw a sight recently which was amazing. Two bald eagles on the ground. Driving by in an open field.

I heard two Great Horned Owls out behind my house tonight.

Just got a decent set of binoculars to view birds in my backyard. Amazing what they allow you to see, and how clear they allow you to see it!

Back