Aulani, Oahu anyone been there?

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My family is considering going to The Disney Aulani Resort in Oahu and wondering if anyone has been to either that resort or the island itself and has any recommendations?

Thinking we will do either a four day or five day stay with California as a stop after to break some of the plane time back since coming from East Coast

PearlHarbor will be a must, but open to anything else.

We've been to Aulani Resort for the last 4-5 years years in a row, until 2020 when the pandemic hit.

I don't know what it is like with the pandemic, but before then it was a fun place for kids. In a word, it's a water park with Disney name.

I think the better water park is in Maui. Grand Wailea has the best water park resort. Plus in Maui you can play the Plantation, which has been redone in 2018 / 2019. There is also Wailea golf courses (Blue, Emerald, and Gold).

If you can choose between Disney's Aulani in Oahu vs. Grand Wailea in Maui, IMHO - it's hands down Grand Wailea.

We've been to Aulani Resort for the last 4-5 years years in a row, until 2020 when the pandemic hit.

I don't know what it is like with the pandemic, but before then it was a fun place for kids. In a word, it's a water park with Disney name.

I think the better water park is in Maui. Grand Wailea has the best water park resort. Plus in Maui you can play the Plantation, which has been redone in 2018 / 2019. There is also Wailea golf courses (Blue, Emerald, and Gold).

If you can choose between Disney's Aulani in Oahu vs. Grand Wailea in Maui, IMHO - it's hands down Grand Wailea.
I have been to Maui twice, and being a DVC member I can use my points for Aulani and then stop at Disneyland for two days after.

No kids though. My boys are both 24 and then my wife and I.

Thoughts on the best itinerary you would recommend for Oahu? Places to eat that might not break the bank :ROFLMAO:, and would you recommend the UTV excursion or something else?

Remembering our trip to Oahu years ago - Germaine's Luau was great. Also Matsumoto Shave Ice on the North Shore is amazing, make sure to go for the Azuki beans with it.

in roughly 2017 we stayed next door and the Marriott time share resort. We walked through disney property one night. Very nice! We went to HI (another island) in 2018 , 2019 and pandemic ended 2020 dream.

My 2 cents

- HI is still shut down. Don't think about a trip until they are really open. Maui invitaional was moved to Vegas this year in case you did not know.

- Pearl- we went the last year that the memorial was open. I think it is still closed. We arrived at like 5am (recall they are 6 hours ahead of us so don't fret)

- Ohau- very crowded but must do once. Stay on your east coast time

Finally, a costco about 7 miles from that Disney resort. use it and get there when it opens. 200 people will be with you. Saves a ton

Do you like “hiking”? Diamond Head Crater Park has a mostly paved trail. Cool view. Worth doing once.

Drive around the island. The east side has a blowhole that’s cool for a bit. Depending on weather there are some waterfalls along the H2 and Pali highways.

Kualoa Ranch has some pretty neat things to do and see. Jurassic Park and ATV tours.

Definitely do a luau. Germaine’s is closer but the Polynesian Cultural Center deep on the North Shore is good too.

Food
Zippy’s is a local favorite. Loco Moco and Korean Fried Chicken are my faves.
7-11 Spam Musubi. When in Rome and all that.
L&L restaurants. It’s more of a grill type place instead of a restaurant.
En Fuego in Kapolei is pretty good. Try the pastele stew.
Nico’s Pier 38 has fresh seafood.
Sushi Bay or Kuru Kuru Sushi are a little better than Genki Sushi. All are much more affordable than the continental US.
Foodland Poke Bowls are better than any I’ve had outside of the state.

in roughly 2017 we stayed next door and the Marriott time share resort. We walked through disney property one night. Very nice! We went to HI (another island) in 2018 , 2019 and pandemic ended 2020 dream.

My 2 cents

- HI is still shut down. Don't think about a trip until they are really open. Maui invitaional was moved to Vegas this year in case you did not know.

- Pearl- we went the last year that the memorial was open. I think it is still closed. We arrived at like 5am (recall they are 6 hours ahead of us so don't fret)

- Ohau- very crowded but must do once. Stay on your east coast time

Finally, a costco about 7 miles from that Disney resort. use it and get there when it opens. 200 people will be with you. Saves a ton

Yea, hoping to see more open. The current plan is to go in May 22.

Pearl Harbor areas have opened and you can visit again.

If you go to Aulani, it’s great but plan on spending most of your time in the resort and at the lagoon in front of it. It’s expensive so plan for that. Everything costs more in Hawaii and the Disney resort is well above that. They will get you for everything. Plan to walk west once at least tk the turtle cove, really cool and quieter than th Aulani beach.
Get Lua reservations very early, as far ahead as you can. It’s fun and why not do it while there.
I like Maui way better but good to experience both of you have already been.

Aussie and Visited 3 islands , Maui / Big island / Oahu ,several years ago loved them all
Oahu ,, Pearl harbour ,,,and the battleship tour , made me cry 5 times , as l had read and knew so much of it ,, and to listen to the stories and knowledge …. Still sends a shiver..

Diamond head walk , brilliant view worth every step, make sure you wear hiking or trail shoes the top has some decent stairs to climb also lol

Leonards , is a Portuguese origin place that makes Portuguese tarts, been in their white house for 70 years now I imagine, they are legendary

Shaved ice was new to us and delicious

Amazing sites , and lots of new experiences to see, l did play golf in Kapalua , plantation course , loved that too great to experience pga course .

If you go to Aulani, it’s great but plan on spending most of your time in the resort and at the lagoon in front of it. It’s expensive so plan for that. Everything costs more in Hawaii and the Disney resort is well above that. They will get you for everything. Plan to walk west once at least tk the turtle cove, really cool and quieter than th Aulani beach.
Get Lua reservations very early, as far ahead as you can. It’s fun and why not do it while there.
I like Maui way better but good to experience both of you have already been.

I love snorkeling. Is the lagoon at the resort a decent place off the beach or turtle cove better?

Yea, hoping to see more open. The current plan is to go in May 22.

Pearl Harbor areas have opened and you can visit again.

we got to HI with a small group and all have agreed we won't consider 2022. The issue is making reservations and getting to January and not knowing if we can travel without restrictions. HI has a 14 day quaranteene rule still in affect. I can't see it going away anytime soon.. we lived through this don't know thing in 2020 and finally cancelled our in May. Lost about 1/2 my money on rooms.

Leonards , is a Portuguese origin place that makes Portuguese tarts, been in their white house for 70 years now I imagine, they are legendary
OMG! Totally forgot about Leonard’s Malasadas. Delicious. They started adding in new flavors too.

I've never stayed at Aulani, but have at the Four Seasons and JW Marriott which are on either side of the Disney resort. Ko Olina is a great area with a ton to do. You're right across the street from Ko Olina golf club, which is arguably the best course on Oahu, as well as a host of restaurants (such as Monkeypod, my favorite.) The man made lagoons are really cool, and will provide tons of fun for the kiddos with snorkeling, etc.

Ko Olina offers easy access from HNL, and Pearl Harbor
There is a Target, and other necessary (with kids) shopping in Kapolei, which is just down the road.

Honolulu is a 30-40 minute drive if you fancy heading that direction - though Ko Olina really does offer quite a bit for families if you don't want to venture.

I've had a bunch of family and friends go to Aulani and Ko Olina. When my wife and I went on our honeymoon we looked at staying a couple days there to go to Pearl Harbor but it was a bit too family oriented for us. Ko Olina is an amazing course. Two underrated cheaper ones are the Hawaii Prince and Ewa Beach. Go to the north shore to see the surfers and a bit more laid back atmosphere. Good macadamia nut farm up that way also.

I've had a bunch of family and friends go to Aulani and Ko Olina. When my wife and I went on our honeymoon we looked at staying a couple days there to go to Pearl Harbor but it was a bit too family oriented for us. Ko Olina is an amazing course. Two underrated cheaper ones are the Hawaii Prince and Ewa Beach. Go to the north shore to see the surfers and a bit more laid back atmosphere. Good macadamia nut farm up that way also.
Don't forget Makaha Valley. only 30 min up the road from Ko Olina and a steal

Don't forget Makaha Valley. only 30 min up the road from Ko Olina and a steal
Makaha’s more of what I’d consider a value course. It’s great for what you pay, but it’s not at the top of my list.

Kapolei Golf Course is the new home for the LPGA Lotte tournament. I prefer Kapolei over Koolina for the course alone. Koolina wins on views though. And it’s still a great course.

Makaha’s more of what I’d consider a value course. It’s great for what you pay, but it’s not at the top of my list.

Kapolei Golf Course is the new home for the LPGA Lotte tournament. I prefer Kapolei over Koolina for the course alone. Koolina wins on views though. And it’s still a great course.
That's why I said it was a steal. There are a lot of people who don't want to play courses in Hawaii at $200-400/ round.

Ko Olina has views? in the 15 years I've been playing it regularly, I have always said I wished it had more of a view. I mean half of the course plays through houses, and another quarter of it plays along Ali inui drive. Not exactly scenic.

Kapolei is nice. Especially since Ko Olina changed management a few years back - it really took a turn for the worse. I wonder if that had something to do with Lotte moving house.

As for the golf course in Oahu, I prefer Turtle Bay (Arnold Palmer course, not the Tom Fazio course) over Ko Olina. To me, Ko Olina looks and feels like a typical muni course that is overpriced for visitors. Turtle Bay (on the North Shore) is MUCH better course.

Across the street from Aulani is a small bagel shop. Whenever I visited Aulani, I went to that bagel shop for breakfast bagel and coffee. Best cream cheese for the bagels IMHO.

As others have said, everything is $$$ in Hawaii due to the fact that they have to ship everything in.

Traffic? Horrendous! Like NY or SF.

Snorkeling? If Hanauma Bay is open (last I heard it was closed due to pandemic), that is THE place to go for snorkeling. IF they are open, go there as soon as it opens, otherwise the water gets murky due to all the people with suntan lotion and kicking up sand and whatnot.

We stayed at the Grand Wailea last week. The main entrance, Grand Dining Room, and Botero Bar are all closed due to construction. Also, the water elevator and Grotto Bar are closed due to COVID.

We stayed at the Grand Wailea last week. The main entrance, Grand Dining Room, and Botero Bar are all closed due to construction. Also, the water elevator and Grotto Bar are closed due to COVID.
Bummer! Sorry to hear that. :(

This COVID is wreaking havoc on everything!

That's why I said it was a steal. There are a lot of people who don't want to play courses in Hawaii at $200-400/ round.

Ko Olina has views? in the 15 years I've been playing it regularly, I have always said I wished it had more of a view. I mean half of the course plays through houses, and another quarter of it plays along Ali inui drive. Not exactly scenic.

Kapolei is nice. Especially since Ko Olina changed management a few years back - it really took a turn for the worse. I wonder if that had something to do with Lotte moving house.

Forgot there’s a huge rate difference for visitors. At the visitor’s rates I wouldn’t play Koolina. I liked the hotels and buildings in the backdrop. It’s not scenic, but I preferred the views. Especially the railroad tracks and train.

We last minute just booked a trip here February 16th for a week. Going to try and get away and play one day of golf. I've been to Hawaii a bunch of times but never to the island of Oahu other than flying through Honolulu. Looking forward to it.

We were just there this past summer.

Loved the golf course.

If you have any questions ask away.

We were just there this past summer.

Loved the golf course.

If you have any questions ask away.
Is it worth the cost for the course if I’m going to be on rentals? Any other courses I should consider?
Pretty pumped about the trip. We gave my daughter a trip for her birthday and she chose Nickelodeon park in meadowlands nj. So switching from New Jersey in February to Hawaii was quite the upgrade.

Looking forward to Pearl Harbor.

Any other must do activities?

Is it worth the cost for the course if I’m going to be on rentals? Any other courses I should consider?
Pretty pumped about the trip. We gave my daughter a trip for her birthday and she chose Nickelodeon park in meadowlands nj. So switching from New Jersey in February to Hawaii was quite the upgrade.

Looking forward to Pearl Harbor.

Any other must do activities?
My sons and I all thought the course was worth playing. Some fun holes.

Pearl Harbor was great, but our highlights of the trip were the ATV tour in Kuoloa Ranch. Where they filmed Jurassic Park and a bunch of other films and The Tua Luau. We were at the Luau during the summer so the walk to the waterfall wasn’t worth it, but in February the falls will be flowing and you can swim in them.

Tip if going to the Tau Luau: the fire dancing is great but outside the eating area to the right, so pick a table in the right side to have a better view

Back