All Rounds Should Be Four Hours or Less

Common courtesy?

It’s like the person that drives in the left hand lane of the highway doing the speed limit.

Your highway reference works, but only in a single lane scenario. In that case, I doubt you would expect the driver to pull on to the shoulder every time a car that wanted to exceed the limit came behind them. I like faster play as well, but would never expect a group playing within the expectations to step aside for me. Courtesy can go both ways.

Your highway reference works, but only in a single lane scenario. In that case, I doubt you would expect the driver to pull on to the shoulder every time a car that wanted to exceed the limit came behind them. I like faster play as well, but would never expect a group playing within the expectations to step aside for me. Courtesy can go both ways.
If an entire hole is open, a group shouldn't let another play through? I can genuinely say I have never heard that before. Thats literally been part of golf for a century.

I agree with this a lot but I think in the case of 4 hour rounds, it would be a compromise for both types of groups. That’s why I changed my opinion.

Unfortunately, the reality is that there will always be those on either side of the discussion who cannot be reasonable.

And the reality I’ve encountered is that there is rarely just one group who prefers to play at a slower pace. My fast-ish pace is not anywhere near average. The only regular group l played with years ago bitched that “I was always in such a hurry “. Lol.

I guess my question would be if not 4 hours, what would be a more reasonable max time (for courses that do not post any)? Or should there be a universal max time?

Addition by subtraction for the remaining golfers pace of play, but not for the cash register in the pro shop.
My thoughts are if people are already complaining about not being able to get times, that then they would be able and the net result for the course finances would be the same. Not based in reality at all though, just wondering how many people it would actually result in turning away, vs those that would hear pace is being enforced and play there instead. I definitely don't know the answer, just curious.

Walking or Riding? Or it shouldn't matter
Doesn't matter. I could walk backwards and finish way faster than 3.5 hours by myself. It usually takes me around 2 hours when I'm free sailing by myself walking, and I'm not rushing, 90 minutes if I have a cart. This is a relatively short course, so maybe a little long on other courses, but no way in hell 3.5 hours.

If Chick-Fil-A were in charge of tee sheets, all these problems would go away.

My pleasure.

Chick Fil A Sixers GIF by Philadelphia 76ers

If an entire hole is open, a group shouldn't let another play through? I can genuinely say I have never heard that before. Thats literally been part of golf for a century.
I’d imagine it would be rare. Not too many groups today playing a 3:15 pace would have a hole open in front of them, and a group stacked up behind them. I just find contrarian than one can call a group selfish for playing a slow pace, yet at the same time, feel untitled to play through a group moving at an acceptable pace. Anyway, enough of my musings on the subject today. I think I’ve made my position clear, agree or not 👍.

I agree with this a lot but I think in the case of 4 hour rounds, it would be a compromise for both types of groups. That’s why I changed my opinion.

Unfortunately, the reality is that there will always be those on either side of the discussion who cannot be reasonable.

And the reality I’ve encountered is that there is rarely just one group who prefers to play at a slower pace. My fast-ish pace is not anywhere near average. The only regular group l played with years ago bitched that “I was always in such a hurry “. Lol.

I guess my question would be if not 4 hours, what would be a more reasonable max time (for courses that do not post any)? Or should there be a universal max time?
The universal expected time would be the utopia I seek.

When a hole is open ahead letting a group (s) play thru is fair and efficient, so no "time policy" is ever needed.

I don't understand why people find it objectionable to step aside and allow another group to play thru. When I am part of a slow group I am glad to ask the group behind us to play thru, because it creates a more relaxing and enjoyable environment for everyone.

Doesn't matter. I could walk backwards and finish way faster than 3.5 hours by myself. It usually takes me around 2 hours when I'm free sailing by myself walking, and I'm not rushing, 90 minutes if I have a cart. This is a relatively short course, so maybe a little long on other courses, but no way in hell 3.5 hours.
Well yeah everyone is going to finish under 3.5 hours if you're playing by yourself. But what if you're the only walker in the 4-some & you're constantly waiting? What then? Do you leave the group? Try to jump ahead? Or do you just tough it out for 4.5 hours & then complain about it afterwards? Genuine question.

If the course allows both, it shouldnt matter.
I mean I keep reading that walking is faster...
Makes sense. But you can only move as fast as the groups ahead of you, regardless if you're walking or riding.

Well yeah everyone is going to finish under 3.5 hours if you're playing by yourself. But what if you're the only walker in the 4-some & you're constantly waiting? What then? Do you leave the group? Try to jump ahead? Or do you just tough it out for 4.5 hours & then complain about it afterwards? Genuine question.
Ahh, misunderstood the question. I'm quite often the only one walking. It's no issue keeping up with 2 people in a cart, one person in one can get dicey and I'm usually pretty wiped out at the end from trying to keep up with them. As far as pace, I play in 4somes all walking well under 4 hours all the time, doesn't feel rushed at all.

Eight minutes. On the first hole last year the group in front of us hit their tee shots into a hazard. It took them close to 20 minutes to play the first hole. By the time we teed off, there were two other groups on the tee.
That's their fault for not either immediately playing a provisional or just taking a drop in the fairway and hit 4.

That's their fault for not either immediately playing a provisional or just taking a drop in the fairway and hit 4.
None were OB, all were in a hazard, so they had to look for their balls before they dropped.

None were OB, all were in a hazard, so they had to look for their balls before they dropped.
Don't need to look to hit a provisional.

That's always been the basic rule in golf. How can golfers not know that at this point? Probably the same people that drive in the left lane even though there are signs everywhere that the left lane is for passing only. Sheesh.

Why? Why does your pace preference trump theirs and the courses posted and enforced expectation? I’m open to a logical explanation.
The USGA "Rules of Golf" formerly had a section on etiquette that stated a group should allow faster groups to play through. It further explained that a single player was considered a group as respects this point of etiquette. The USGA must have decided, as part of their streamlining of the "Rules," to merely state, "All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by ... showing consideration to others ..." Just because my group is playing well within the course's pace-of-play policy doesn't give me license to inconsiderately hold up one or more faster groups.

I understand at times it is irritating to have a foursome, well on pace, but face allowing a string of singles and twosomes to play through. Just as we expect the foursome to be considerate, there really needs to be some consideration by the singles and twosomes to pair up. There should be reciprocal consideration.

Currently only at Ripon. Never played Rudding. Was a member at Knaresborough and Oakdale.
Played Ripon a couple times - enjoy the par 3 holes outside the clubhouse....nowhere to hide :LOL:

Never played Rudding either, or Oakdale, but did play Knaresborough a number of years ago and it tanked it down with rain that day annoyingly

I went out and drove around the course yesterday and the amount of unreplaced divots is mind blowing. It looked like we had a war out there. I just don’t get it… but like you said… no honor or integrity. But also a huge dose of laziness and cluelessness.

You would laugh at the amount of groups I have to tell on the first hole to tee off where the markers are. They said they tee off from where they want. So we have a tee box under repair…. That is where they are going 🙄. Not to the white tees further back and not to the red and senior tees a tee box ahead… they go to the roped off one in the middle ….🙄. And they look at you expressionless.
I get a lot of “mind blown” and “WTF”emojis but as you say…. I can’t make this stuff up. The last few pages were about letting groups play through. People don’t know about this… especially the slow ones. Had a group of women the other day play 9. Pace before them was under 1.5 hours. Then an hour and 15 later they came in. One of them said to me,” the group behind us wanted to play through but we told them no.”

So my course is very blue collar. I work there 7 days a week and during the day I have another job where I’m at upscale private courses all day so I can see where you guys are amazed…. But I live this everyday, 12 hours a day most of the time.

We a 4some with 2 walker (about 70+ years old, husband and wife) and 2 carts - no idea why they did not ask us to pair up, we did 4:10 - maybe a bit faster.

Frankly, I was pretty pleased with that. It felt like it was much longer.

Ahh, misunderstood the question. I'm quite often the only one walking. It's no issue keeping up with 2 people in a cart, one person in one can get dicey and I'm usually pretty wiped out at the end from trying to keep up with them. As far as pace, I play in 4somes all walking well under 4 hours all the time, doesn't feel rushed at all.
Today there were just two of us playing - my buddy in a cart and me walking. We were stuck behind 4 foursomes in a league, and waited on almost every shot. Not agonizing forever waits, but still waiting. We still finished in 3:29 according to my watch, and it was a very leisurely pace.

If the course is wide open ahead of us, I have trouble keeping up with one person in a cart if I'm walking (if they're an efficient golfer) - they can be to their ball and hit before I even get to my ball, and I have to hustle to keep up. I can beat them from the green to the next tee box and be first to hit, but the rest of the hole I'll be playing catch up. It's a lot easier versus two people in a cart, especially if they're lazy and don't use their cart efficiently (i.e., one golfer sitting in the cart instead of walking to their ball).

I understand at times it is irritating to have a foursome, well on pace, but face allowing a string of singles and twosomes to play through. Just as we expect the foursome to be considerate, there really needs to be some consideration by the singles and twosomes to pair up. There should be reciprocal consideration.

I often play as a single and have made it a point to hang well back behind the groups ahead so there is no confusion about me pushing them. I actually don't usually want to play through (unless they are one of the groups taking 20 minutes a hole...but then there is usually an open hole ahead and I usually walk past while they driving to their second shot and am gone from the next hole before they get off the green. Usually a nod, smile and wave and off...but otherwise I don't approach the tee box til they have hit their approach shot, little things like that.)

But I also look for opportunities to match up with other singles or pairs...it has seldom made sense to me for a single following a single with 4-somes in front of the one in front and another behind to not combine...that is an entire hole wasted in a sense. If the less-than-foursomes match up it really tightens the flow. Lets say it takes me 8 minutes to play a hole. And it takes the guy behind me 8 minutes to play a hole. Would the two of us together take 16 minutes to play the hole? Shouldn't...so it helps everyone if we pair up which allows everyone behind to also move up a hole and it is not like we suddenly won't be keeping up with a foursome.

It is definitely something I pay extra attention to...booking as a single, in my opinion, does not grant me the right to that tee time unshared with randoms...pairing up at every opportunity is part and parcel of it. I fully accept, anticipate and, truth to be told, look forward to being matched up to fill the time as much as possible and actively look to fill it if someone say starts after me but because I am lounging behind a group, no need to double down on it...come on up and join me, then there is one less than full time instead of two, if that makes sense.

Absolutely the singles/duos should pair up. helps everyone. And helps pace. Not always, but there are times I think the singles and duos can actually clog the course a great deal by spreading out instead of pairing up. I could be convinced otherwise...but it would take work.

Obviously I have no issue with people booking as singles, and feel the course is the one to do the pairing up front but if they don't...we golfers ought to look for those chances to help out by combining as much as possible.

I often play as a single and have made it a point to hang well back behind the groups ahead so there is no confusion about me pushing them. I actually don't usually want to play through (unless they are one of the groups taking 20 minutes a hole...but then there is usually an open hole ahead and I usually walk past while they driving to their second shot and am gone from the next hole before they get off the green. Usually a nod, smile and wave and off...but otherwise I don't approach the tee box til they have hit their approach shot, little things like that.)

But I also look for opportunities to match up with other singles or pairs...it has seldom made sense to me for a single following a single with 4-somes in front of the one in front and another behind to not combine...that is an entire hole wasted in a sense. If the less-than-foursomes match up it really tightens the flow. Lets say it takes me 8 minutes to play a hole. And it takes the guy behind me 8 minutes to play a hole. Would the two of us together take 16 minutes to play the hole? Shouldn't...so it helps everyone if we pair up which allows everyone behind to also move up a hole and it is not like we suddenly won't be keeping up with a foursome.

It is definitely something I pay extra attention to...booking as a single, in my opinion, does not grant me the right to that tee time unshared with randoms...pairing up at every opportunity is part and parcel of it. I fully accept, anticipate and, truth to be told, look forward to being matched up to fill the time as much as possible and actively look to fill it if someone say starts after me but because I am lounging behind a group, no need to double down on it...come on up and join me, then there is one less than full time instead of two, if that makes sense.

Absolutely the singles/duos should pair up. helps everyone. And helps pace. Not always, but there are times I think the singles and duos can actually clog the course a great deal by spreading out instead of pairing up. I could be convinced otherwise...but it would take work.

Obviously I have no issue with people booking as singles, and feel the course is the one to do the pairing up front but if they don't...we golfers ought to look for those chances to help out by combining as much as possible.
If a starter is going to put out singles and doubles consecutively, pace isnt the issue. But thats also not whats leading to 5 hours rounds. Everyone keeps pace, everyone finishes in four hours or less

Reactions: JB
Back