After each round do you talk about your gear? A 2024 challenge.

Good point. A lot more people read the threads than reply to them, there's no such thing as too much information. The more input from all over the spectrum of golfers, the better. A slow swinging, higher handicap golfer may have a completely different experience than a fast swinging low 'cap, and all the data points are equally valid.
Personally, I think the information from a 'slow swinging, higher handicap golfer' is EXTREMELY important. Everywhere else you look in places like YouTube and other review-specific sites it's almost always a fast-swinging scratch golfer that has super consistent contact and a very reliable swing testing out equiptment. Less than 1% of golfers are scratch they do not represent the masses very well at all.

We need those of us who don't find the center of the clubface on every shot not to be afraid to share our all-over-the-map data and opinions. It's very valuable to the community here and those visiting.

Hell, I even reply to myself sometimes in some of the threads.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. :ROFLMAO:

Personally, I think the information from a 'slow swinging, higher handicap golfer' is EXTREMELY important. Everywhere else you look in places like YouTube and other review-specific sites it's almost always a fast-swinging scratch golfer that has super consistent contact and a very reliable swing testing out equiptment. Less than 1% of golfers are scratch they do not represent the masses very well at all.

We need those of us who don't find the center of the clubface on every shot not to be afraid to share our all-over-the-map data and opinions. It's very valuable to the community here and those visiting.

It happens!

I couldn't agree more, and it's why I don't even bother looking at the majority of YouTube reviews. A scratch handicap with a 115 mph swing speed who finds the center of the face every time isn't going to offer much useful data for my game. Our launch, spin, peak height and distances are going to be vastly different, and it's pretty hard to swallow anything they say about forgiveness, dispersion or off-center ball speed retention when their impact pattern for 10 shots covers a dime-sized area right in the sweet spot.

If 10 scratch golfers have a lot of good things to say about a club, it's interesting data points. If 10 mid/high handicaps have a lot of good things to say about a club, now you have my attention.

If 10 mid/high handicaps have a lot of good things to say about a club, now you have my attention.
This might be the only place on the Internet (from what I know) that 10 mid/highs can say something and it have weight to it. Most places seem to use your handicap as a litmus test on whether what you say is worth anything.

Other than a select few from here no one has ever been a jerk about someone being a high capper.

My only issue with this approach, is sometimes the swing is so off that it's not fair to the club and what it offers :)

This might be the only place on the Internet (from what I know) that 10 mid/highs can say something and it have weight to it. Most places seem to use your handicap as a litmus test on whether what you say is worth anything.

Other than a select few from here no one has ever been a jerk about someone being a high capper.
Yep, agree with this @JB and the staff has done a great job building that culture around here. You can see it spelled out explicitly in every single experience signup thread.

I couldn't agree more, and it's why I don't even bother looking at the majority of YouTube reviews. A scratch handicap with a 115 mph swing speed who finds the center of the face every time isn't going to offer much useful data for my game. Our launch, spin, peak height and distances are going to be vastly different, and it's pretty hard to swallow anything they say about forgiveness, dispersion or off-center ball speed retention when their impact pattern for 10 shots covers a dime-sized area right in the sweet spot.

If 10 scratch golfers have a lot of good things to say about a club, it's interesting data points. If 10 mid/high handicaps have a lot of good things to say about a club, now you have my attention.
I 100% agree with this. The THP community feedback is excellent and relatable. I try to talk about my clubs each time I play or practice. I also love trying new gear that comes out.

You are waaay overestimating scratch golfers' skills haha. But otherwise spot on

That's a good idea about reviews. I'll keep my thoughts to myself about the veracity of reviews on some of the clubs in my bag though.

But yeah, I'm greatly interested in how a G430 10K Max works for someone with a 30 handicap and a slice than Rick Shiels. I really don't care that it works for him. Or anyone else that is a single digit handicap. Excluding THPers of course. Their input is welcome.

I'm on the fence as to whether anyone likes or cares about my thoughts. But as i tell my wife, you are stuck with them until someone with power blocks me.

So i am in
Look at it this way, there are WAY more eyes on the forum than just the active members. People searching for all sorts of things and finding their way here, it’s why all thoughts and feedback are good, even if they don’t gain traction with the “regular” crowd. They’ll help SOMEONE

What about the fast guys who miss the center?

🙋

Need to do better with this. I will pipe in when I see new posts

What about the fast guys who miss the center?

🙋
Allow David Cross GIF

🤣

Need to get in the habit of talking about equipment and highlights and disasters if said round. Any given round the bag can go thru a near complete makeover. Not always good thing. 🤣🤣

Need to get in the habit of talking about equipment and highlights and disasters if said round. Any given round the bag can go thru a near complete makeover. Not always good thing. 🤣🤣
Those type of thoughts are fascinating tbh. When guys have multiple options for their bag makeup it’s really fun to read about why they chose certain options over others. Informative too.

I'm in. This is a great challenge, IMHO. Like most things in my life, I overthink my posts on THP. I am a classic example of my diagnoses: hyperfixations and oversharing rule my life. I second guess every post I consider making, convincing myself nobody wants to hear (like most folks in my "real" life) what is going on in my brain and actively ignore the fact that the topic of this post is WHY I'm here. I research everything that interests me. I want to know everything I can know about the subject...every detail. I found not only that information here, but I found folks that are as 'crazy' about golf as I am and actually care about this hyperfixation.

Love this. I'll be better.

I'm in. I'll do my best after every round to pop in and say something about at least something I'm currently playing...if it's current equipment. I'm not sure anyone wants to hear how well I hit my 20 year old 3 wood and I doubt there's even a thread for it anywhere :)

I'm in. This is a great challenge, IMHO. Like most things in my life, I overthink my posts on THP. I am a classic example of my diagnoses: hyperfixations and oversharing rule my life. I second guess every post I consider making, convincing myself nobody wants to hear (like most folks in my "real" life) what is going on in my brain and actively ignore the fact that the topic of this post is WHY I'm here. I research everything that interests me. I want to know everything I can know about the subject...every detail. I found not only that information here, but I found folks that are as 'crazy' about golf as I am and actually care about this hyperfixation.

Love this. I'll be better.
I understand this deeply and being honest I felt the same way about the value of my posts when I first joined. As you can see by my post count I got over it and some may say I never shut the bell up now. 🤣

Push past that indecisive feeling you have before hitting the reply button. The entire forum is better when we all freely share our thoughts and opinions without any reservations.

It was nice n much of the country today.

Did you play? Did you talk a bit about your gear on thp afterwards?

Gonna try to do this this year

I played today so I'm posting and talking about the equiptment I used in my round.

When is the last time you have?

My only issue with this approach, is sometimes the swing is so off that it's not fair to the club and what it offers :)

i used to feel this way but then i learned to accept "me"

Im Good Enough Nighty Night GIF by Saturday Night Live

I am in and this has been something that I have tried to do in the past. What I find really helpful is for people to take the time to post something more than, “this driver was on fire,” “my iron game was so good with these,” or “I have no desire even to look at other clubs.” I love data, but I love any discussion about why something is working well, or causing a bit of a struggle.

Back