Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

I've been saying that all year but about the only time I take off is when it rains or my body just won't go anymore. I jumped on the course yesterday and practiced wedge shots from 100 yards in and chipped a ton. The practice yesterday paid off today. Maybe I will take tomorrow off <wink>.

roll.gif

Played 18 today and here are my thoughts:

Hybrids: Solid again... shot of the day came from the 6h. Tree outcropping covering 3/4 of the left side of the green, about 150 out. One club wind blowing in and right to left. Had to draw it so I aimed at the right edge of the green, ball drew to the front left of the green about 10 ft below the hole. Saved par on a crappy positioned drive. Misses are still the dreaded hook but like I said before, it's more of the match of my swing to the shaft. No issues there.

Irons/Transitionals: Played in some wind again today and I can't for the life of me get the ball down with these clubs. I'm even being very methodical with my swing and aware of the club heads position all the way through and still the ball goes up. What that tells me is that these clubs are very good for folks that have trouble getting the ball up in the air. I've even tried a ridiculously shallow swing with the ball back with a waist high finish and up it goes. Next time I'll just loft adjust expecting the ball to get up into the air.

Wedges: Once again the GW is up and down for me. I'm being very inconsistent with it and I know part of it is me. I need to get more practice on the short game. PW is spot on with a pitch on a par 5 I made. Good control from those awkward 100 and in distances.

Today's final thought for me is that there is a bit more control with these clubs than one can imagine. Yes, they do the basic stuff very well but when one sees a set like this, control isn't the first thing that pops into your head. Granted they're not fully controllable but 1) I'm not looking for that since my game is not there yet and 2) neither is the average consumer that would look at clubs like these. Since I can do some basic moves, the clubs do respond to those. If I want it to go left, it'll go left. If I want it to go right, it'll go right. How far and at what height is for another type of club. These will do just fine, thanks.

Good stuff Spank, I just cannot imagine why anyone looking for hybrids would not look at these. I actually like the entire set, irons and hybrids.

Nice job Spanks, I've been able to hit the low punch shot with these a few times..had to move it WAY back in the stance and finished low but it worked.

I agree TBT, while I can hit these low compared to my regular shot, I cannot keep these as low as my previous clubs. Sometimes when I need to punch under something I get a little to aggressive and the ball will get up on me.
The funny thing is I can keep chips low and running anytime I want. The longer the swing the harder it is to keep down. I think I need to work on keeping it low next time I hit the driving range.

Obviously we are not hitting these clubs into places that we need a punch shot. It must be our drivers and fairway woods that are getting us into that kind of trouble. I hit these clubs so high that I choose to just hit OVER the trees. Haha. Seriously, I need to practice the punch shots too because I am struggling to keep them low. My instructor told me to remember low and slow. It works on short punch shots but it's the ones that I want to hit longer that I struggle with to keep down. I did manage a good 4H shot under some trees yesterday but the higher lofts are a struggle.

I've got the punch down with the 4H and 5H, need to work on the others...I had one the other day that called for about a 7 iron punch and I just used the 4H with more of a chipping length swing and it worked pefectly.

I need to work on a forced hook too....I can do the slice really easy :shock: but I tried to hit a low running hook the other day and it went low and ran...but no hook and went all the way across the fairway and into the trees on the other side.

I've got the punch down with the 4H and 5H, need to work on the others...I had one the other day that called for about a 7 iron punch and I just used the 4H with more of a chipping length swing and it worked pefectly.

I need to work on a forced hook too....I can do the slice really easy :shock: but I tried to hit a low running hook the other day and it went low and ran...but no hook and went all the way across the fairway and into the trees on the other side.

I am just the opposite, I can hit the draw much easier than I can hit a fade, different swings I guess.

It was a nice day up here in NEPA so I convinced my Wife to do a 9 hole scramble. I wanted her to hit the a12OS set and get her opinion while I played my old A7OS set and compared the difference. She was delighted to get the ball up in the air! She was also very very happy to hit them straight! She uses my old cut down Tight Lies set and is used to graphite shafts but still said the a12OS set felt lighter. She doesnt play enough to have set distances with certain clubs but she said she felt they went farther. All this while having to choke down due to the increased length.

In comparison I noticed the a7OS set hit about a club shorter than the a12's, I took bigger divots and had much more deviation left to right than the a12's.
I hit mostly the 6H and 7I due to loosing a lot of roll with the leaves on my drives. I missed my a12 GW most of all but I never hit the a7 gap wedge all that well and usually used my 42 Niblick. I missed my A12OS set and attributed my shooting a 46 to the leaf litter on the greens and the a7's...thats my story and i'm sticking to it..

It was a nice day up here in NEPA so I convinced my Wife to do a 9 hole scramble. I wanted her to hit the a12OS set and get her opinion while I played my old A7OS set and compared the difference. She was delighted to get the ball up in the air! She was also very very happy to hit them straight! She uses my old cut down Tight Lies set and is used to graphite shafts but still said the a12OS set felt lighter. She doesnt play enough to have set distances with certain clubs but she said she felt they went farther. All this while having to choke down due to the increased length.

In comparison I noticed the a7OS set hit about a club shorter than the a12's, I took bigger divots and had much more deviation left to right than the a12's.
I hit mostly the 6H and 7I due to loosing a lot of roll with the leaves on my drives. I missed my a12 GW most of all but I never hit the a7 gap wedge all that well and usually used my 42 Niblick. I missed my A12OS set and attributed my shooting a 46 to the leaf litter on the greens and the a7's...thats my story and i'm sticking to it..

Hey, I believe you buddy. Nice report and comparison to the a7OS's, keep up the good work.

Nice job Spank, that wind can be the one problem for these Adam's. I too have a hard time with the low punch for anything requiring distance, I do fine on the short punch shots under branches and such. I hope to get back out this week and should see some wind.

Played in a charity scramble today and hit the clubs very well. Several memorable shots with each type of club.

Hybrids - Par 3 17th was playing 171, I hit a very high soft landing 5H 5 feet left of the pin (I made the putt) it was just a nice smooth swing. A 6H from 153 uphill (at lease a one club incline) I placed it 15 feet to the right of the pin. I also had a 4H from 194 (slightly down hill) that was about 20 feet short but in line with the pin. All of these were about as good feeling as a golf shot can be.

Transitionals - 7I to a pin 143 on a par 3 was about 20 feet short and left. 8I 133 across water to approximately 15 feet short and in line with pin.

Irons - The 9I was the one I used the most and I hit 3 shots fairly close from 115 to 125 depending on the slope. The PW I hit close on an up hill shot of 105, probably 12 feet pin high right. Only used the GW once and it was to a 93 yard uphill green and I was 18 feet right over the top of the flag.

Everything was a ton of fun to hit today and I can honestly say we used about 70% of my shots (non putt shots) I would have liked to see what my round would have been had I been playing my ball, I know it would have been in the 70's, I just don't know where. It would have depended on the putting, but I was putting pretty well today too. I still say anyone looking for new irons or hybrids should really do themselves a favor and at least hit these clubs from Adams before making up their mind, I know you will be impressed.

Great shooting DD!

Nice DD, zero'd in pretty well. It's amazing how well these can keep me in the game after a so so shot, it's like a second chance at hero.

Thanks KB and due, this was really my best ball striking day with these clubs yet, it was a blast.

Hi All

The weather was a bit lame here in England on Friday (heavy showers) when I had planned to take my new sticks out on the course so it was more range time for me , I was still very inconsistent and appeared to start slicing the ball again which I had managed to cut out with my previous Irons (Ping K15’s) .

I checked out the specs of the two clubs just to see if they were set up differently

There only seem's to be subtle differences mainly in the Iron section with the Adams clubs being slightly longer in Length , the Adams Hybrids also Have Slightly stronger lofts my K15’s where standard Black dot.

I have taken the Adams to get checked out and had the lie angle adjusted more upright to help out a bit with my steep over the top swing , I’m also practicing some new drills to try and get my swing plane on a more in to out swing path so that can only help.
Initial few shots at the range saw me straighter and even hit a draw , seem to have lost a bit of distance but I’m putting this down to my swing changes from my new drills hopefully over the winter this will kick in and with my new sticks hopefully see me straighter and longer.

I’ll keep you posted.

Adams A12OS spec

Adams A12OS spec

Idea a12 OS Irons Technical Specifications

Model

Loft

Lie

Length

SW

Hand

Flex

17º
58.5º
41.25”
D1
R
A R S
19º
59.25º
40.5”
D1
R L
A R S
22º
60º
39.75”
D1
R L
A R S
25º
60.75º
39”
D1
R L
A R S
28º
61.25º
38.25”
D1
R L
A R S
32º
62.25º
37.5”
D1
R L
A R S
36º
63º
36.75”
D1
R L
A R S
40º
63.75º
36”
D1
R L
A R S
PW
44º
64º
35.75”
D2
R L
A R S
GW
49º
64º
35.5”
D2
R L
A R S
SW
54º
64º
35.5”
D3
R L
A R S
LW
59º
64º
35.25”
D3
R L
A R S

PING K15 Spec

PING K15 Spec

Sorry for the separate Spec posts beyond my technical abilities to get it one post as it says its too many characters :comp:

PING K15 Spec

PING K15 Spec

Club
Length
Loft
Lie
Offset
Bounce
Swgt.

3H
40.00"
20.0°
61.50°
0.23"
n/a
D1
4H
39.50"
23.00°
62.25°
0.20"
n/a
D1
5H
39.00"
27.0°
63.00°
0.18"
n/a
D1
6H
38.50"
31.0°
63.75°
0.15"
n/a
D1
37.75"
26.0°
60.75°
0.29"
2.0°
D0
37.25"
29.0°
61.50°
0.27"
4.0°
D0
36.75"
32.0°
62.25°
0.24"
6.0°
D0
36.25"
36.0°
63.00°
0.22"
8.0°
D0
35.75"
40.0°
63.75°
0.20"
9.0°
D0
PW
35.50"
45.0°
64.00°
0.18"
10.0°
D2
UW
35.50"
50.0°
64.00°
0.15"
11.0°
D2
SW
35.25"
54.0°
64.25°
0.13"
12.0°
D4
LW
35.00"
58.0°
64.50°
0.10"
13.0°
D6

Thanks for the info Martin, hope you get these under control. I had mine out today for 9 holes, actually shot my 2nd lowest score ever. I'll try to get a write-up done later today.

Love to see a good 6h shot mixed in there, DD! Sounds like you had a great day with the a120S.

I found THP when Googling for as12OS reviews. I've read many of the pages and thanks to all of you, picked up my set with graphite senior flex shafts today.

I'm interested in the SW and LW but can't find them for sale individually. Does anyone know where I might be able to pick them up?

Thanks

I found THP when Googling for as12OS reviews. I've read many of the pages and thanks to all of you, picked up my set with graphite senior flex shafts today.

I'm interested in the SW and LW but can't find them for sale individually. Does anyone know where I might be able to pick them up?

Thanks

Hope you like these as much as I do. Contact Patty with 9BlindGolf (see banner above) and I'm sure she would be happy to assist you in ordering them and may even give you a little discount if you tell her you heard about them through THP. They are fantastic people to deal with. Let us know how you like the clubs.

Thanks

Several on here have been thinking of getting those wedges also. I picked up a 3H from blind9golf which are supporters of THP and also good members. Dennis and/or Patty can be reached at the link on the top of the page. Give them a call, they will give you a price break when you tell them you are a THP member.

Hope you like these as much as I do. Contact Patty with 9BlindGolf (see banner above) and I'm sure she would be happy to assist you in ordering them and may even give you a little discount if you tell her you heard about them through THP. They are fantastic people to deal with. Let us know how you like the clubs.

Great minds think alike, I was typing as you were posting, needless to say I agree with KellyBo's suggestion :D

Back