2024 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Head cold is mostly gone. Appetite started to return, but I noticed I'd lost almost 6 lbs from the whole ordeal. After 4 or 5 months of moving nowhere on the scale, my weight starts with a freaking 1....199.6 when I weighed yesterday to to be exact. I haven't had my weight start with 1 since freshman year of college.

Yesterday got a bit of a stomach bug from some Mexican food and thanks to that I'm down to 197...LOL.

Hoping to keep this rolling a bit before start hitting the weights again. Might just focus on some cardio and eating clean the next week or so to see if I can keep this momentum. Aint' gonna lie, it feels good.

Nutrition will always make up a huge portion
100%. Just logged yesterday’s calories. 3100. I’ve been hovering in the 1200-1500 range. More than double with no alcohol. Not sure how I did that.

100%. Just logged yesterday’s calories. 3100. I’ve been hovering in the 1200-1500 range. More than double with no alcohol. Not sure how I did that.
1200-1500 is pretty low. And by pretty low I mean really low. I would be starving.

1200-1500 is pretty low. And by pretty low I mean really low. I would be starving.
Misspoke. That’s net after workout and walking credit which is about 500sh a day with the workouts I’ve been doing. So really 2000. But 1500 net is what loseit app has me to do 1 pound loss a week. Makes sense to me because you need to be 3500 deficient for every pound.

So actually 3600 yesterday.

Misspoke. That’s net after workout and walking credit which is about 500sh a day with the workouts I’ve been doing. So really 2000. But 1500 net is what loseit app has me to do 1 pound loss a week. Makes sense to me because you need to be 3500 deficient for every pound.

If I am overstepping please tell me to shut up. But any device or machine that tells you how many calories you burn is inaccurate, they have no idea. You are better off looking up a macro or TDEE calculator online and figuring out what your maintenance calories are and then subtract from there. You really can’t/shouldn’t count the exercise calories, that will already be factored in with the Macro and TDEE calculators.

If I am overstepping please tell me to shut up. But any device or machine that tells you how many calories you burn is inaccurate, they have no idea. You are better off looking up a macro or TDEE calculator online and figuring out what your maintenance calories are and then subtract from there. You really can’t/shouldn’t count the exercise calories, that will already be factored in with the Macro and TDEE calculators.
I think a lot of people look at "calories burned" on a fitness device/watch, and think they can add on those calories and still be in a deficit.

Intake needs to be the deficit, the calories your body burns on its own adds to that deficit.

I think a lot of people look at "calories burned" on a fitness device/watch, and think they can add on those calories and still be in a deficit.

Intake needs to be the deficit, the calories your body burns on its own adds to that deficit.
Exactly. That’s what I was trying to explain, you did a better job haha.

I’m just going to say it. If you stick to 2000 calories and they are even mildly healthy you are going to lose way more than a pound a week and i’m here for it.

Not at all. I’m figuring it out as I go. Help is always appreciated. I’m definitely assuming it’s just doing some sort of algorithm based on my height and weight on how much I burn and is +- a certain percentage. Right now I have so much to lose that it works. Baby steps for me now.

I am operating that it’s pretty accurate for the nutrition part of it. Anything that’s from a package is scanned and any protein I’m doing an estimate of how based on the weight of the package and how much I ate. (I.e I had 1 pound of ground beef and I ate half of it). Im sure I have a certain % of inaccuracy for portion control but I’m definitely getting better.

I also will say that when I started and could eat 2500 calories to lose a pound a week was much easier than 2000.

But no overstep at all. I’m posting in here because I like the help and any info I can get. My personal health is not anything I have remotely thought about for a decade when I quit doing competitive sports. Let it go and didn’t think about it at all for a long time. Realized I was going to kill myself with a fork and spoon and didn’t want to miss out on my kids lives.

Whelp today started the grind back down. I'm up 30lbs from my lowest. Intermittent fasting purely to limit calories and back to walking and playing golf as much as possible

Is 50+ carbs per meal the goal?
50 is pretty reasonable for me I think. Especially with an average being 200ish a day. I know for me I don’t have a lot with dinner often times. I think that’s a pretty quality meal prep overall, not perfect but quick easy and dairy free.

Whelp today started the grind back down. I'm up 30lbs from my lowest. Intermittent fasting purely to limit calories and back to walking and playing golf as much as possible
I have been good and then terrible. Let’s get this grind going sir!

Not at all. I’m figuring it out as I go. Help is always appreciated. I’m definitely assuming it’s just doing some sort of algorithm based on my height and weight on how much I burn and is +- a certain percentage. Right now I have so much to lose that it works. Baby steps for me now.

I am operating that it’s pretty accurate for the nutrition part of it. Anything that’s from a package is scanned and any protein I’m doing an estimate of how based on the weight of the package and how much I ate. (I.e I had 1 pound of ground beef and I ate half of it). Im sure I have a certain % of inaccuracy for portion control but I’m definitely getting better.

I also will say that when I started and could eat 2500 calories to lose a pound a week was much easier than 2000.

But no overstep at all. I’m posting in here because I like the help and any info I can get. My personal health is not anything I have remotely thought about for a decade when I quit doing competitive sports. Let it go and didn’t think about it at all for a long time. Realized I was going to kill myself with a fork and spoon and didn’t want to miss out on my kids lives.
Ok, then I hope this is helpful. I use LoseIt as well to track my macros, but I do not let it include exercise calories. Here is why, when you use a macro calculator they will ask you your activity level, so when you get the maintenance or deficit calories they provide, those exercise calories are already included, so if you then add back the exercise calories LoseIt is showing, then that means you are no longer in a deficit.

Here is an example, my maintenance calories are around 1900 calories, so currently I am eating right around 1600 calories. If I workout and it says I burned 250 calories for that workout, that doesn't mean I can now eat 1850 calories, that is putting me real close to my maintenance. That's because 1900 calories includes my average activity level already factored into it.

And as you lose weight the amount of calories you can eat will also go down, but usually it will be in 50 MAYBE 100 calories increments, not immediately 500. You have to be gradual or you are setting yourself up for failure.

Another example, I am currently in a cut, so the last 3 weeks I have been at 1600 calories, and lost the expected .5lbs/week that I am aiming for (I'm a women it's much harder haha). So these next 2-3 weeks I plan to go down to 1550 calories. In fact, I am meeting with my nutrition coach in just a few minutes to discuss this, but it's what we have done in the past as well. And once I hit my goal, we slowly get me back to maintenance.

I hope this all makes sense, and if not, please don't hesitate to ask questions, I love this stuff, it's kind of my passion.

Ok, then I hope this is helpful. I use LoseIt as well to track my macros, but I do not let it include exercise calories. Here is why, when you use a macro calculator they will ask you your activity level, so when you get the maintenance or deficit calories they provide, those exercise calories are already included, so if you then add back the exercise calories LoseIt is showing, then that means you are no longer in a deficit.

Here is an example, my maintenance calories are around 1900 calories, so currently I am eating right around 1600 calories. If I workout and it says I burned 250 calories for that workout, that doesn't mean I can now eat 1850 calories, that is putting me real close to my maintenance. That's because 1900 calories includes my average activity level already factored into it.

And as you lose weight the amount of calories you can eat will also go down, but usually it will be in 50 MAYBE 100 calories increments, not immediately 500. You have to be gradual or you are setting yourself up for failure.

Another example, I am currently in a cut, so the last 3 weeks I have been at 1600 calories, and lost the expected .5lbs/week that I am aiming for (I'm a women it's much harder haha). So these next 2-3 weeks I plan to go down to 1550 calories. In fact, I am meeting with my nutrition coach in just a few minutes to discuss this, but it's what we have done in the past as well. And once I hit my goal, we slowly get me back to maintenance.

I hope this all makes sense, and if not, please don't hesitate to ask questions, I love this stuff, it's kind of my passion.
It does. I’m going to switch my plan to not do the exercise to see what it is. Thanks.

It does. I’m going to switch my plan to not do the exercise to see what it is. Thanks.
Truly happy to help. If I ever reinvented myself this is the field I would go in, it's truly my passion.

I just got off the FaceTime call with my nutrition counselor and as expected she said let's go to 1550, but let's actually stay here for at least 3 weeks and see how it goes. She wants me to aim for 40-45% protein and keeping my fat below 20%. This way I can still build muscle while slowly losing fat.

I’m just going to say it. If you stick to 2000 calories and they are even mildly healthy you are going to lose way more than a pound a week and i’m here for it.
This is where I have been since getting back from Phoenix. It’s working.

Truly happy to help. If I ever reinvented myself this is the field I would go in, it's truly my passion.

I just got off the FaceTime call with my nutrition counselor and as expected she said let's go to 1550, but let's actually stay here for at least 3 weeks and see how it goes. She wants me to aim for 40-45% protein and keeping my fat below 20%. This way I can still build muscle while slowly losing fat.
Updated my plan and I actually get 2400 without the exercise drop if I do the vigorous plan which is 2 a week. That would put me at my 260 stretch goal on August 9th and @JB stretch goal of 250 September 13.

FWIW...I've dropped 43 lbs since essentially 12/1. I do the gym at least 4 times a week for at least 40 minutes (usually 50 and as much as 60 depending on how I feel) on an elliptical machine at a time. I generally consume around 1500 a day in addition to my workouts and I stopped eating virtually all junk food and have limited amounts of alcohol. I think the calories burned from Apple Health help keep me in line so I don't overeat on a daily basis but most of my meals are coming from a local chain called Clean Eatz where I do the low carb option and get a good balance of protein, fat, and carbs. I supplement those meals with greek yogurt and granola as a snack or some snack bars from Trader Joe's where I try to monitor the sugar content in what I buy.

Over the last few weeks I've dropped 3-4 lbs a week. I'm trying to be cautious to not drop too fast but I also know my personality and habits so I need to keep junk away from me.

I've never used any app to track macros or calories, etc. Is Losit the app you like best?

I've never used any app to track macros or calories, etc. Is Losit the app you like best?
Hers what you get on the free version. You can get premium for $20 a year and it gets you all the additional stuff.

1709515478638.png1709515555425.png

Hers what you get on the free version. You can get premium for $20 a year and it gets you all the additional stuff.

View attachment 9246228View attachment 9246229
What dos the premuim version get you?

I use myfitnesspal but I canceled the premium version when it expired because it is so expensive. I sort of miss being able to scan bar codes and log times but not so much I'll pay the subscription cost again.

What dos the premuim version get you?

I use myfitnesspal but I canceled the premium version when it expired because it is so expensive. I sort of miss being able to scan bar codes and log times but not so much I'll pay the subscription cost again.
All the stuff in the second screen shot that has a lock. You can scan food and get the basic stuff on free version.

1709516198774.png

Back