2024 MLB Thread + Hot Stove Off Season

Rank and I talked about this a lot.
He still believes he will stay with the Angels.
I said Seattle or San Francisco.

I would love to see him on the East coast though. Preferably not in the AL East since I know Tampa isnt spending that.
I hope you’re right about SF. Giants fans have their hopes up but are guarded about it. Fanbase loves their stars and it’s a perfect fit. Instantly would go back to sellouts and every fan would have a jersey day 1.

Ohtani goes to Oakland/Vegas? I know this is 100% nuts, but it makes that team relevant, gives the new stadium a reason to exist and puts fannies in the seats that means revenue, TV value, etc. I assume since the owner has never spent any significant money he'd have some to throw at this, and this makes them a landing spot for other FAs over the coming years.

Likely too soon, and he'd be old when they finally play in a new MLB stadium - but it would change the landscape.

The A's relocvation has several interesting issues:

There was no relocation fee.
If Las Vegas were to have been awarded an expansion team, assuming baseball would expend, there would likley be an expansion fee that would be substantial and would be split among the existing clubs.
The money from the State of Nevada for the stadium is facing legal challenges.
The proposed stadium in Vegas does not have a roof or dome. Good luck playing in the summer.
Where do the A's play going forward as their current lease expires in 24.
They are clearly going to rely on revenue sharing for the near future . They will have a minimal payroll, no home park or city as the move to Vegas is expected to happen in 28
They are leaving the 10th largest TV market (Oakland - SF - San Jose) to go to Vegas which is #40

I found the following article which addresses the A's owner's claims as to how much money they were losing in Oakland:

Rank and I talked about this a lot.
He still believes he will stay with the Angels.
I said Seattle or San Francisco.

I would love to see him on the East coast though. Preferably not in the AL East since I know Tampa isnt spending that.
If he's willing to do 3-4 years I think the Dodgers are a virtual lock. He stays in LA and plays on a guaranteed winner in front of large crowds.

The A's relocvation has several interesting issues:

There was no relocation fee.
If Las Vegas were to have been awarded an expansion team, assuming baseball would expend, there would likley be an expansion fee that would be substantial and would be split among the existing clubs.
The money from the State of Nevada for the stadium is facing legal challenges.
The proposed stadium in Vegas does not have a roof or dome. Good luck playing in the summer.
Where do the A's play going forward as their current lease expires in 24.
They are clearly going to rely on revenue sharing for the near future . They will have a minimal payroll, no home park or city as the move to Vegas is expected to happen in 28
They are leaving the 10th largest TV market (Oakland - SF - San Jose) to go to Vegas which is #40

I found the following article which addresses the A's owner's claims as to how much money they were losing in Oakland:

The new stadium will be on 9 acres. For reference, that is virtually the same footprint as Wrigley. If you have been to Wrigley you know how tight that is. And I agree, they have to have a roof. The need for the roof and that footprint make for an interesting engineering challenge. If this is done right I think having a stadium right on the strip could be truly spectacular. Unfortunately, this owner seems genetically incapable of doing it right.

If he's willing to do 3-4 years I think the Dodgers are a virtual lock. He stays in LA and plays on a guaranteed winner in front of large crowds.
We don't know what is going to be the deciding factor - That's what make it so interesting, at least until he signs.

We don't know what is going to be the deciding factor - That's what make it so interesting, at least until he signs.
Based on his agent being a scumbag, it will be money.
But this guy is different and could remember that the agent works for him and not the other way around.

I kinda hope they don't get it living in NV.. I don't like being taxed to pay for this stuff. Figure it out on your own. I am ok with them getting tax incentives but I should not have to pay for it.
The public should never have to pay for a billionaires stadium. They always tout the economic benefit and it never materializes

With one exception - we know winning matters.

Luis Robert is available it appears according to White Sox reporters.
That could be a very good get for some teams. I would love him in Miami for the Marlins with his bat, since they are losing Soler.

Luis Robert is available it appears according to White Sox reporters.
That could be a very good get for some teams. I would love him in Miami for the Marlins with his bat, since they are losing Soler.
young player who might just need a change of scenery.

young player who might just need a change of scenery.
He is going to be in heavy demand I have a feeling.
38 HR is a nice piece to add to lineups.

Giants are going to have an interesting offseason. Obviously, Ohtani is the dream but they are going to have to rebuild their starting pitching staff and need at least one more bat on top of the big get.

Rumors of the Korean CF Jung Hoo Lee and Cody Bellinger. Chapman is also an intriguing rumor. They need multiple bats to go with the young kids coming through. The entire roster was above-average platoon guys.

Strong rumors about the Japanese pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto. They are smitten by all accounts. They will have to get multiple starters though.

He is going to be in heavy demand I have a feeling.
38 HR is a nice piece to add to lineups.
and his defense isn't too shabby. I think he will bring back a nice package from some team.

and his defense isn't too shabby. I think he will bring back a nice package from some team.
There was talk at midseason that the Marlins offered Max Meyer and Yiddi Cappe. No idea where that went, but that is a steep price tag.

Dylan Cease was previously mentioned as being available. There were rumors about Tim Anderson at the trade deadline. They just traded a LH reliever today to the Braves for Soroka and 4 minor leaguers. Now this about Roberts. I won't be surprised if 2 of those 3 get packaged together to a team for a haul.

He is not.
What Are We Even Doing Lauren Conrad GIF by The Hills

Just saw some click bait about the Phils trading for Trout. Please no

Stories out there about the Giants in on every player and their team is going all in. Bellinger, Chapman and Snell all on the list

Back