2024 Better You Fitness Thread

Squats and overhead presses are only compound lifts improving. Bench and deadlifts are stuck.
It’s all in the supporting cast for those lifts.

Running is absolutely awful. If it’s not from a bear, attacker, or after the ice cream truck, what am I even doing out there? :(
I will agree with running being absolutely awful and I'm in the Navy and have to do regular PT tests. Good news is I can do my cardio on the stationary bike (harder than most think) and I lost all the weight and in the best shape of my life with ZERO running lol.

Squats and overhead presses are only compound lifts improving. Bench and deadlifts are stuck.
Stick bench press and deadlift?
brother anyone GIF

Right there with you. Tomorrow is leg day and my goal is to not fall down the stairs afterwards when my legs feel like jello and don't want to do what my brain tells them to do.
coach changed my leg workout yesterday and I could barely walk when I left the gym lol.

Workout 1:
-Stretches
-Squat:
1 set squat at 3RM
2 set of 3 at 15% reduced (last set AMRAP)
-3 sets of bench (1 @ 3RM, last 2 at 15% reduced, last set AMRAP)
-3 supersets:
20 lunges w/ dumbells (did 15s) followed directly into 20 heel raised goblet squats (2 min rest between supersets)
-3 supersets:
12 reps @ 20 lb dumbells (bicep hammer curl), then AMRAP 20 lb dumbells of seated inclined bicep curl

Workout 2: Speed workout w/ bands
-3 supersets:
30 lb band @ 15 reps, then 90 lb band @ 15 reps (2 min rest between supersets)

Workout 3: Midline melter
-3 supersets:
10 V-ups, 20 russian twists w/ 15 lb weight, 30 second hold with feet and hands raised (2 min rest between supersets)

I was dead after all that lol.

coach changed my leg workout yesterday and I could barely walk when I left the gym lol.

Workout 1:
-Stretches
-Squat:
1 set squat at 3RM
2 set of 3 at 15% reduced (last set AMRAP)
-3 sets of bench (1 @ 3RM, last 2 at 15% reduced, last set AMRAP)
-3 supersets:
20 lunges w/ dumbells (did 15s) followed directly into 20 heel raised goblet squats (2 min rest between supersets)
-3 supersets:
12 reps @ 20 lb dumbells (bicep hammer curl), then AMRAP 20 lb dumbells of seated inclined bicep curl

Workout 2: Speed workout w/ bands
-3 supersets:
30 lb band @ 15 reps, then 90 lb band @ 15 reps (2 min rest between supersets)

Workout 3: Midline melter
-3 supersets:
10 V-ups, 20 russian twists w/ 15 lb weight, 30 second hold with feet and hands raised (2 min rest between supersets)

I was dead after all that lol.
That midline melter was felt as I read it 😂

That midline melter was felt as I read it 😂
It's short, but holy crap is it a workout. It's probably one of my favorite workouts on my agenda right now.

I am kind of curious about any correlation you see between improving dead lifts and swing speed.
I think the ability to produce more force, in general, is a good thing for increasing swing speed. With that, the #1 biggest factor with increasing swing speed is mechanics. I don't think a person can deadlift their way up to a 125mph CHS.

Spoiler
humble brag though1000001978.png

I think the utility of the deadlift, and strength training in general, is not really about prioritizing golf. It's about having stronger muscles, tendons, ligaments, thicker bones, and a slew of other metabolic benefits.

Getting stronger makes everything better, including swing speed.

I think the ability to produce more force, in general, is a good thing for increasing swing speed. With that, the #1 biggest factor with increasing swing speed is mechanics. I don't think a person can deadlift their way up to a 125mph CHS.

Spoiler
humble brag thoughView attachment 9231282

I think the utility of the deadlift, and strength training in general, is not really about prioritizing golf. It's about having stronger muscles, tendons, ligaments, thicker bones, and a slew of other metabolic benefits.

Getting stronger makes everything better, including swing speed.
I think it’s the use of the hips/quads and sequencing that really helps the golf swing. Not the weight per say.

Stick bench press and deadlift?
brother anyone GIF
Yep they won’t go up. I start with compound lifts and try to go heavy plus do accessory work.

Yep they won’t go up. I start with compound lifts and try to go heavy plus do accessory work.
What does your bench press and deadlift programming look like?

What does your bench press and deadlift programming look like?
I had been doing PPL most of the year, alternating heavy with higher reps. Bench press and deadlift are only thing not improving. The last month I went to this:

Day 1 Upper Strength
Bench 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Barbell Rows 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Shoulder Press 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Weighted dips 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Hammer curls 5 sets heavy 6 reps

Day 2 lower strength
Squats 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Deadlifts 3 sets heavy 6 reps
Leg presses 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Leg curls 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Leg extentions 5 sets heavy 6 reps

Day 3 Push
Bench 5 sets 10 reps
Inclines 5 sets 10 reps
Flye 5 sets 10 reps
Shoulder Press 5 sets 10 reps
Lateral raise 5 sets 10 reps
Preacher curls 5 sets 10 reps
Rope curls 5 sets 10 reps
Tricep ext 5 sets 10 reps
Skull crush 5 sets 10 reps

Day 4 pull
Barbell row 5 sets 10 reps
Cabale row 5 sets 10 reps
lat pull 5 sets 10 reps
Rear delts 5 sets 10 reps
face pull 5 sets 10 reps
rope curl 5 sets 10 reps
preacher curl 5 sets 10 reps

Day 5 legs
squats 5 sets 10 reps
Romanian deadlift 2 sets 10 reps
cable pull through 2 sets 10 reps
leg press 5 sets 10 reps
leg extension 5 sets 10 reps
leg curl 5 sets 10 reps
adduction 5 sets 10 reps
abduction 5 sets 10 reps

I had been doing PPL most of the year, alternating heavy with higher reps. Bench press and deadlift are only thing not improving. The last month I went to this:

Day 1 Upper Strength
Bench 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Barbell Rows 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Shoulder Press 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Weighted dips 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Hammer curls 5 sets heavy 6 reps

Day 2 lower strength
Squats 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Deadlifts 3 sets heavy 6 reps
Leg presses 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Leg curls 5 sets heavy 6 reps
Leg extentions 5 sets heavy 6 reps

Day 3 Push
Bench 5 sets 10 reps
Inclines 5 sets 10 reps
Flye 5 sets 10 reps
Shoulder Press 5 sets 10 reps
Lateral raise 5 sets 10 reps
Preacher curls 5 sets 10 reps
Rope curls 5 sets 10 reps
Tricep ext 5 sets 10 reps
Skull crush 5 sets 10 reps

Day 4 pull
Barbell row 5 sets 10 reps
Cabale row 5 sets 10 reps
lat pull 5 sets 10 reps
Rear delts 5 sets 10 reps
face pull 5 sets 10 reps
rope curl 5 sets 10 reps
preacher curl 5 sets 10 reps

Day 5 legs
squats 5 sets 10 reps
Romanian deadlift 2 sets 10 reps
cable pull through 2 sets 10 reps
leg press 5 sets 10 reps
leg extension 5 sets 10 reps
leg curl 5 sets 10 reps
adduction 5 sets 10 reps
abduction 5 sets 10 reps
Every week is the same volume? What about the weight? How do you determine when the weight goes up?

Every week is the same volume? What about the weight? How do you determine when the weight goes up?
Mostly same volume. I increase weight when I can do more reps. If I can get to 7 or 8 reps, I add weight on next set.

Mostly same volume. I increase weight when I can do more reps. If I can get to 7 or 8 reps, I add weight on next set.
And your deadlift and bench press are stuck, how? You're not able to get a 7th or 8th rep on the 5x6 days?

And your deadlift and bench press are stuck, how? You're not able to get a 7th or 8th rep on the 5x6 days?
Not those two lifts. Should I change volume more?

Not those two lifts. Should I change volume more?
I would decrease the volume and make weekly weight jumps. All of those 5x10s caught my attention. It's just not a rep and set range scheme used for primary compound movements.

Hit a PR on DB bench tonight, I've slowly been upping the weights of the dumbbells the last 6 weeks, and tonight hit without a doubt the heaviest DB Bench I have ever hit.

Pretty stoked about that.

Sent this to a few buddies earlier & might as well post it up. 1 year ago pic vs a few days ago. Gym time & over 1,000 miles run this year. Crazy year but think I crushed it. On to 2024! #NotDoneYet

16ECBAC6-EB50-4E17-8B8C-9B426B5126B5.jpeg

Sent this to a few buddies earlier & might as well post it up. 1 year ago pic vs a few days ago. Gym time & over 1,000 miles run this year. Crazy year but think I crushed it. On to 2024! #NotDoneYet

View attachment 9231398
You handsome devil, you.

Back