2023 Srixon Z-STAR and Divide Golf Balls

What do you notice outside distance (I assume that's why you don't like it from the tee). Ball flight different? I'm trying to nail down why there would be a difference - speed, spin, etc.
It seems to fly just fine. Not to high/low, not over spinning. Got to assume it's just ball speed.

It's playable but doesn't have any of those wow drives like the zstar xv.

I do like it a bit better off irons. Which is why the diamond intrigues me. Maybe it splits those keeps more distance off the tee, little more spin feel with irons.

It seems to fly just fine. Not to high/low, not over spinning. Got to assume it's just ball speed.

It's playable but doesn't have any of those wow drives like the zstar xv.

I do like it a bit better off irons. Which is why the diamond intrigues me. Maybe it splits those keeps more distance off the tee, little more spin feel with irons.

Well dangit. Now you're making me want to revisit Diamond.

And just like that, I'm completely waffling.

I don't do a lot of comparisons off the tee box because of what I said above (and I'm always convinced that there's some karmic rule that says I'm going to lose the second ball since I'm a weirdo), but I did yesterday. QST and Z Star.

I did this twice on two of my favorite driving holes. Both balls were relatively similar in terms of contact and ball flight. I am not a robot, unless maybe somebody made a robot that is the opposite of other robots.

Hole 7 (elevated tee box).
QST - 243
Z Star - 266 (!)

These were both mid-height draws. The Q was a shade more toe side and likely carried a bit less spin based on the ball flight being a little lower. The Z was dead center, a little higher, and actually carried where the QST stopped rolling.

Hole 9 (hitting up a hill to a plateau)
QST - 212
Z Star - 229

These, again, were both mid-height draws. Z was maybe a little bit more centered up, but they didn't feel remarkably different in terms of contact. Numbers aren't big, but it's way uphill. I was happy with both tbh.

I'm not sure what to take away from that. I have the part of me that says it's just coincidence and then part of me says Z Star is life. Again, can't wait to test them out on a monitor one of these days.
I'll have to measure the next time I'm out. I don't hit 2 drives because I'm usually walking 9 holes and don't want to walk to both shots. Maybe I'll ride and try out the Z Star and the Diamond next time out. I'm curious what comes of it.

My coach offers indoor training on trackman. I might bite the bullet and have an hour practice and see what the numbers are. I really like the Z Star around the greens and with the irons. My only issue has been a few drives that didn't seem to go as far as I thought they should.

I'll have to measure the next time I'm out. I don't hit 2 drives because I'm usually walking 9 holes and don't want to walk to both shots. Maybe I'll ride and try out the Z Star and the Diamond next time out. I'm curious what comes of it.

My coach offers indoor training on trackman. I might bite the bullet and have an hour practice and see what the numbers are. I really like the Z Star around the greens and with the irons. My only issue has been a few drives that didn't seem to go as far as I thought they should.

Trackman sounds fun for sure.

the problem on my course, a little shorter means in the water on #11 and #15 instead of carrying on the line I want to take. Otherwise I have to play way left on 11, turning it into a 3 shot par 5, and way right on 15 making it a 4i into the green instead of a 9i. I"m long (for me) and consistent with the CSX LS, just need to find the Srixon ball with similar numbers.
I love Courses like that, they make you think instead of just grabbing a Club and whaling away.

What do you notice outside distance (I assume that's why you don't like it from the tee). Ball flight different? I'm trying to nail down why there would be a difference - speed, spin, etc.
In my testing, the Q Star was really nice in everything else but distance. Compared to Z Star and otgers, it lost distance a little or a lot. Driver was naturally the biggest difference.

In my testing, the Q Star was really nice in everything else but distance. Compared to Z Star and otgers, it lost distance a little or a lot. Driver was naturally the biggest difference.

Very interesting. I would have probably not expected that had I not seen it.

Very interesting. I would have probably not expected that had I not seen it.
I had to check again when I was doing it, as the difference was big.

I checked my data and Q star was 3-4mph slower ball speed on same club head speeds with wedges and irons. Pretty much the same with a driver. That translated directly to distances of course.

Big fan of the diamond! It’s really good in all areas. Especially off the tee and in the wind. Great with mid irons as well. Love the control!

I'm still using the Z-Star Divide and liking a lot of aspects about it. Had lots of balls check up and even had some roll back with the wedges. Feel and spin are my favorite aspects of the Z-Star.

Screenshot_20230517_172203_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230517_172128_Photos.jpg
Left was 52* CBX Full Face 2 out of the sand from 85 yards. Right was 48* CBX Zipcore from 110 yards.

I've been worried about distance off the tee, but good strikes are still getting me far enough and putting me a good distance away for approach shots. I still plan to give the XV a trial run. As well as the Diamond.

From a looks perspective, I love the Divide. I don't even use it to line up my putts. I just like the 2 colors.

I have been using the Q Star Blue/yellow Divide the last few rounds. I have no gripe with it other than I have a hard time seeing it once it hits the ground. It holds the green well, sounds good striking it and I enjoy putting with them. I lost 2 balls today that landed in fairway and should have been easily found but my old eyes just can't find them. Even my playing partners had the same problem. My next few rounds I'll try some 💎 and see how I like them.

The Z Star Diamond has really won me over lately.

What about it do you like compared to the others in the lineup?
I would say that it's as advertised. Really good distance on irons with better ball flight & ability to hold greens compared to rest of lineup for me. I feel like I hit more FIRs and GIRs, but approach shots ~140+ yards are really where I notice its performance the most.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to comparing the Z and the Diamond on a monitor. I'm actually going to save any more comparison between the two until after I can do that.

As it stands, the Z has defeated the QST for me, except when I feel like I'm going to lose balls off the tee. We all have those days, and I'd rather lose a slightly cheaper ball. The Z does seem longer, and I actually find myself preferring a slightly firmer feel than the QST. Speaking of feel, I do think the Z manages to find that perfect sweet spot between soft and firm. I think some of this is related to using firmer balls over the winter, but my love affair with ultra soft golf balls seems to have ended.

Spin performance with the Z still impresses me every time, and I feel like it still manages to be one of the more durable balls out there, especially visually when it comes to the Tour Yellow.

Looking forward to seeing your results with this. Feel free to throw in the XV to that comparison 😁

Looking forward to seeing your results with this. Feel free to throw in the XV to that comparison 😁

I probably should. For some reason I've just discounted it altogether, but you never know until you try.

Just ordered some XV's. I tried a sleeve of them and thought they were great. But on a bad day I have a high lost ball rate and that sleeve didn't last long. Hopefully these can last a little bit longer.

Just ordered some XV's. I tried a sleeve of them and thought they were great. But on a bad day I have a high lost ball rate and that sleeve didn't last long. Hopefully these can last a little bit longer.
I have the same problem sometimes. I lost the original dozen Diamond balls very quickly. The next one I bought has hung around much better.

The Z-Star is my gamer, has been since 2019, and this offseason I got a box of the Diamonds to try out. I tested the XV as well, but I just wasn't getting the performance I was hoping for around the greens. Though now that this year they've changed the XV to a 3 piece ball, I am interested again. Has anyone tried this new version yet?

The Z-Star is my gamer, has been since 2019, and this offseason I got a box of the Diamonds to try out. I tested the XV as well, but I just wasn't getting the performance I was hoping for around the greens. Though now that this year they've changed the XV to a 3 piece ball, I am interested again. Has anyone tried this new version yet?

I haven't played it yet, but there are a couple guys that have I believe. Maybe they'll chime in.

I have been using the Q Star Blue/yellow Divide the last few rounds. I have no gripe with it other than I have a hard time seeing it once it hits the ground. It holds the green well, sounds good striking it and I enjoy putting with them. I lost 2 balls today that landed in fairway and should have been easily found but my old eyes just can't find them. Even my playing partners had the same problem. My next few rounds I'll try some 💎 and see how I like them.

Have you tried the yellow/orange version of the QStar divides if you have issues seeing ball on the ground? That color scheme seems to be much easier to spot. Love the look of the blue and yellow but have the same issue finding them on the ground. Everything else great! Have not played in wet conditions recently but spin seems to be reduced with the matte cover in those situations.

Have you tried the yellow/orange version of the QStar divides if you have issues seeing ball on the ground? That color scheme seems to be much easier to spot. Love the look of the blue and yellow but have the same issue finding them on the ground. Everything else great! Have not played in wet conditions recently but spin seems to be reduced with the matte cover in those situations.
Yes I have used them in the past and will probably go back to them again this summer. The XV Divides are really easy to see too.

Yes I have used them in the past and will probably go back to them again this summer. The XV Divides are really easy to see too.

I can't do it. I tried but that thing is hard to look at. I will play yellow Zs, but not the two color balls.

Used the latest version of Z Star's last time out and was elated with the performance I saw. Need to do a head to head against the Q-Star Tour's and see if there's enough of a difference to justify the higher $$. I doubt with my game I'll notice a big difference.

Back