2023 - 2024 College Basketball Thread

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bus
No way a Cat fan shouldn’t be excited about the Bama or UConn coaches, as is being rumored by Cats alumni I know out here on the west coast.
I wont say never, but I'm just not overly excited about college basketball anymore. I got so tired of hearing Calipari's crap over and over the last 10 years, along with officiating, I just quit watching all together. Maybe time can change that. Obviously, Hurley would be the choice but I really don't know if he would leave, especially if they win tonight and I can't blame him. And for some reason, Oats honestly don't really excite me too much. But it's not gonna be Cal and that's a win in itself for me. I still support football at the moment and being a Kentucky fan that's brutal enough :LOL:

I wont say never, but I'm just not overly excited about college basketball anymore. I got so tired of hearing Calipari's crap over and over the last 10 years, along with officiating, I just quit watching all together. Maybe time can change that. Obviously, Hurley would be the choice but I really don't know if he would leave, especially if they win tonight and I can't blame him. And for some reason, Oats honestly don't really excite me too much. But it's not gonna be Cal and that's a win in itself for me. I still support football at the moment and being a Kentucky fan that's brutal enough :LOL:
I, personally, want Oats to go to KY. Just to watch an Alabama meltdown.

Also, wtf did this game not start until 630 pacific time? Even as a west coaster I’m annoyed for the east coast folks.

I, personally, want Oats to go to KY. Just to watch an Alabama meltdown.
Sorry to burst your bubble. Evidently not even on the top 5 list.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Evidently not even on the top 5 list.

That $18,000,000 buyout has him staying there.

They cant lose Saban and Oats in the same year.

That $18,000,000 buyout has him staying there.

They cant lose Saban and Oats in the same year.
Yeah I kinda heard they’d rather put that money towards NIL or a coaches Salary than pay a buyout. Hurley will most likely be offered around 10mil per from what I hear and I’m not sure he leaves.

Yeah I kinda heard they’d rather put that money towards NIL or a coaches Salary than pay a buyout. Hurley will most likely be offered around 10mil per from what I hear and I’m not sure he leaves.
Hard to not want the KY job. Best job in basketball.

I don’t know if Bama ponied up at all. I heard pretty quick he wasn’t in the discussion which seems odd to me.
He shouldnt be on the top 5 list for Kentucky. He's done a lot with Bama in a very down SEC since he has been there.

Hard to not want the KY job. Best job in basketball.
The expectations of the KY program, or the expectations of keeping up with the women’s program at UConn. Tuff call there, pick your battle.

Think I would stay put.

The expectations of the KY program, or the expectations of keeping up with the women’s program at UConn. Tuff call there, pick your battle.

Think I would stay put.
I would stay put. But, the cash KY is going to throw on the table...

This whole Calipari leaving thing has been so weird. He still hasn’t resigned which keeps UK from legally contacting other coaches. Rumors he wanted to stay and now this. Why would UK pay him more to stay. It’s a sh*t show and I’d expect nothing else from him. Just leave already. Hell even take all the players with ya. Just get out 😂.

I would stay put. But, the cash KY is going to throw on the table.

It's going to be interesting to see who they end up with. I don't think that they're going to get one of the big names they covet regardless of the money.

Proud of Purdue for all they did.May never see them that far in my lifetime.

One of my kids went to NC State. Two to Duke. I grew up in Kentucky so I do the good dad thing. Took my Wolfie to the Final Four this weekend. It was so much fun.Took one of Dukies two years ago.
I love Cal. He seems to be a great guy. Clearly he had a huge impact in the Bluegrass.Not just in hoop but he did so much to help people. I think he just wore the fan base out. He said at his first presser he probably would be gone after ten years. Probably should have done that.
Lots of great coache but it will be different. Cal will get great players at Arkansas but don't think his heart will be in it. As Pitino has said many times, he regrets leaving what he called The Roman Empire and Cal called his dream job.

PS: Listening to KSR radio. They are tracking private planes coming to lexington from Waco and Teterboro NJ. UK fans are nuts. Over 1700 people are online tracking private planes.

Last edited:
John Welch who came in last summer and totally updated Kentucky's offense is not going with Cal to Arkansas. He is going to Fresno State as an Associate HC. WTH.
Good luck Hogs.

John Welch who came in last summer and totally updated Kentucky's offense is not going with Cal to Arkansas. He is going to Fresno State as an Associate HC. WTH.
Good luck Hogs.
Cal is not a good basketball Coach. He is a great salesman, and can get guys in to the league, but he is not a good Coach. Arkansas fans I have heard from are not thrilled.

Cal is not a good basketball Coach. He is a great salesman, and can get guys in to the league, but he is not a good Coach. Arkansas fans I have heard from are not thrilled.
This is very true. John Robic came with Cal from Memphis and left UK in 2019 because his daughter was tragically killed. It's obvious he was Cal's X's & O's guy because since he left, UK was not the same. He never found anyone to replace him.

Last edited:

I think he was at one time. But that was many years ago. His teams at U Mass were very very good despite only having one true star in Marcus Camby. Since then, it can be argued that he has only been a good coach when his teams were led by Derek Rose or Anthony Davis or Karl Anthony Towns and Devin Booker.

I think going forward he is going to have to adapt. Recruiting four and five star one and dones isn't likely going to be the best plan with NIL and the transfer portal. It remains to be seen if he can be successful at Arkansas. I can see why fans would not be thrilled

I can see why Arkansas would want him and I can see why he would want to leave Kentucky.

I think he was at one time. But that was many years ago. His teams at U Mass were very very good despite only having one true star in Marcus Camby. Since then, it can be argued that he has only been a good coach when his teams were led by Derek Rose or Anthony Davis or Karl Anthony Towns and Devin Booker.

I think going forward he is going to have to adapt. Recruiting four and five star one and dones isn't likely going to be the best plan with NIL and the transfer portal. It remains to be seen if he can be successful at Arkansas. I can see why fans would not be thrilled

I can see why Arkansas would want him and I can see why he would want to leave Kentucky.
I don't think he really wanted to leave. There's rumors from very credible sources he was using Arkansas to get more NIL money from UK which he's been trying to do for a while. But after Barnhardt stuck his neck out for him and didn't fire him, and Cal was still looking elsewhere, Barnhardt said no. Plus it got UK out of the stupid buyout.

I think he will win at Arkansas for sure and it may rejuvenate him. But unless he hires a good X's & O's assistant who can make halftime adjustments and adjust on the fly, they wont win anything big. Especially if he takes his staff from UK.

Last edited:
Back