2013 Solheim Cup Thread (Spoilers)

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
I figured I'd get this thread up early because it's one of the best weeks of the year in women's golf. The USA team faces off against the European team at Colorado Golf Club, just outside of Denver. The European team are the current holders of the cup, winning 15-13 in 2011 in Ireland.

The format of the Solheim Cup is exactly like the Ryder Cup: first 2 days have 4 matches each of foursomes (aka alternate shot) and fourballs (aka best ball), and then Sunday is 12 singles matches. Golf Channel is showing the entire event, here is their press release with all details on coverage times:

Golf Channel on the Air from First Tee to Last Putt, Showcasing Best Female Golfers From the U.S. and Europe

ORLANDO, Fla. (Aug. 7, 2013) – Golf Channel will showcase all the action when two of the youngest teams in SOLHEIM CUP history battle it out between the ropes at Colorado Golf Club, Aug. 16-18.

From the first tee shot on Friday until the last putt drops on Sunday, Golf Channel will televise more than 27 live hours of the biennial SOLHEIM CUP match-play competition – highlighted by 11 1Ž2 consecutive hours on Saturday, Aug. 17 – which pits teams of the best female golfers representing the United States and Europe.

In addition to live match-play coverage, Golf Channel also will televise additional programming themed to the SOLHEIM CUP during the week, including player news conferences, expanded MORNING DRIVE programming and wrap-around GOLF CENTRAL shows, which will incorporate both the SOLHEIM CUP Opening and Closing Ceremonies.

BROADCAST TEAM: Golf Channel’s coverage will be anchored by two teams. Play-by-play host Terry Gannon will be joined by two-time SOLHEIM CUP U.S. Team Captain and Hall-of-Famer Judy Rankin; Whit Watson and 15-year PGA TOUR veteran Curt Byrum will comprise the other team. Reporting from an on-course tower will be Tom Abbott. Kay Cockerill, Jerry Foltz, Val Skinner and Phil Parkin will follow the U.S. and Europe teams on the ground.

PLAYER NEWS CONFERENCES: Special GOLF CENTRAL programming on Tuesday and Wednesday, Aug. 13-14, will cover U.S.A. and Europe player news conferences from Colorado Golf Club.

DIGITAL COVERAGE: GolfChannel.com and live streaming application Golf Live Extra are teaming up to keep fans on the go up to date with all the action and news from the SOLHEIM CUP. The tandem of GolfChannel.com Editorial Director Jay Coffin and Senior Writer Randall Mell will feature expanded editorial content and interactive opportunities for fans themed to the SOLHEIM CUP, including match-by-match recaps, analysis and perspective.

Mobile
Fans who are customers of participating cable, satellite, telco and other video subscription services, will be able to enjoy 24/7 streaming of Golf Channel content, including all the SOLHEIM CUP action, through GolfChannel.com and Golf Channel’s mobile application, Golf Live Extra, via “TV Everywhere,” the media industry’s effort to make quality content available to MVPD customers both in and out of the home and on multiple platforms. Golf Channel’s mobile app also will feature all the on-demand content featured on GolfChannel.com.

Social
GolfChannel.com also features the Golf Channel Social Lounge (www.GolfChannel.com/social), a social center that aggregates all social media posts related to a specific event in one location on the site. Beginning Aug. 12, the Social Lounge will aggregate all content on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram mentioning @Solheim_Cup and using the hashtag #SolheimCup.

Golf Channel Solheim Cup Week Programming (all times ET):

Monday, Aug. 12
Morning Drive 7-9 a.m.
Replay of final Day of 2011 Solheim Cup 1-6 p.m.
Golf Central 6-7 p.m.

Tuesday, Aug. 13
Morning Drive 7-9 a.m.
Golf Central Special: Player News Conferences TBA
Golf Central 6-7 p.m.

Wednesday, Aug. 14
Morning Drive 7-9 a.m.
Golf Central Special: Player News Conferences TBA
Golf Central 6-7 p.m.

Thursday, Aug. 15
Morning Drive 7-10 a.m.
Golf Central 10 a.m.-Noon
Golf Central 6-7 p.m.
Solheim Cup Opening Ceremony 7-8 p.m.

Friday, Aug. 16
Morning Drive 7-9 a.m.
Golf Central 9-9:30 a.m.
Solheim Cup Day 1 morning matches 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m.*
Solheim Cup Day 1 afternoon matches 5-9 p.m.*

Saturday, Aug. 17
Morning Drive 7-9 a.m.
Golf Central 9-9:30 a.m.
Solheim Cup Day 2 matches 9:30 a.m.-9 p.m.

Sunday, Aug. 18
Morning Drive 7-11 a.m.
Golf Central 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Solheim Cup Final Day matches 2:30-8:30 p.m.**
Golf Central (incl. Solheim Cup Closing Ceremony) 8:30-9 p.m.**

*Times for end of morning matches and beginning of afternoon matches depend on play. The two-hour window when PGA TOUR’s Wyndham Championship is on the air, Solheim Cup will be streamed commercial free on GolfChannel.com and via the Golf Live Extra app.

**Conclusion of Solheim Cup depends on play.

Great to see it'll be covered so thoroughly. I'll be watching.

I've always enjoyed watching this event, I'm hoping I can get my 4 year old daughter to sit for a bit and watch some this week.

Love the extra coverage on GC! This was a fun event to follow last year, but hopefully the ladies from the good old U S of A can take the cup back this year.

I'll be there all week! It's my "stay-cation" this year!! CGC is a good venue and I think there will be some good golf played!

Really enjoy this event I will be watching when I can for sure.

After watching the first two "official" days of practice, here are my observations. The course is in good shape with the big unknown being the weather. Will it rain over the weekend or will it be sunny and 90? This is Colorado, not even the meteorologists know for sure!
The ladies are discovering the fairways are generally pretty wide and it's the approach shots that are crucial, Why? The greens are TOUGH! With the various slopes, elevations, speeds... the greens are proving to be difficult. I believe the ladies are discovering that determining the correct line and speed is extremely difficult to do at Colorado Golf Club! If you're above the hole and miss the line there's a good chance you'll get to wave goodbye to your ball. The ladies will definitely be challenged this weekend!

As for the spectators, hopefully they are learning that they will definitely get their workout in by simply walking the course. Nearly every hole is either an uphill or downhill walk and a long walk at that! (The course plays 7600+ yards from the tips which means lots of walking for the fans)

This weekend is sure to be an exciting weekend for professional golf!

p.s. To the lady who was complaining about how much walking there was - next time do NOT wear 5" heels!

Nice to see the US Juniors pull out a W. Now let's see how the US women fare against a tough opposing squad.

They just said Lexi made the call to have a Tank delivered.

Sadly I have to leave to go to work this weekend. I hope everything goes well and the USGA and PGA sees CGC as a prospective venue for future events. IMO it would make a much tougher venue than Cherry Hills for the BMW next year. Its been a long since Colorado has had a tour event.

USA
USA
USA!

Good luck to the ladies! USA USA USA

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

They sure clean up well!
uploadfromtaptalk1376544477795.jpg

zy4ube3y.jpg

I can't wait to watch opening ceremonies tonight, for some reason events like this make me super patriotic and the opening ceremonies rock.

Man, the USA ladies came out lookin' goooooood.

Good luck to all the ladies. This has always been one of my favorite team events. We have our work cut out for us though.

2013 Solheim Cup Thread (Spoilers)

I can't get enthusiastic about this event. I just find the whole flag painted on cheek/nails thing incredibly irritating. Good luck Europe, but if I'm honest, I'm not too bothered who wins.

Last edited:
I thought last year's singles matches were fantastic. Most of them were down to the last few holes and I felt bad for Kerr forfeiting her match. I'll definitely be watching again this year.

That picture of Christy crying with the trainer holding her arm still tears me up!

I can honestly say I have never really watched this event in the past. I'm changing that this year, there seems to be a lot of hype and it has me intrigued. GO USA!

Got dvr set. Good crowd last nite for opening ceremony.

tappin from my big as note2

Here are the pairings for this morning's matches. All times are local to Colorado, which is in the Mountain Time Zone. Remember, foursomes are better known over here as alternate shot. Also, Meg Mallon has said that she wants to play all 12 players on the first day, so expect to see the 4 players on the bench this morning tee it up in the best-ball matches this afternoon. Those players are Michelle Wie, Brittany Lincicome, Gerina Piller and Lexi Thompson. In the very first match, I'd imagine Nordqvist and Lewis will be hitting that tee shot, can't imagine having a rookie in Salas hit the first tee shot of the competition!

Friday foursomes matches at Solheim Cup

7:40 a.m.: Anna Nordqvist/Caroline Hedwall (Europe) vs. Stacy Lewis/Lizette Salas (U.S.)

7:52 a.m.: Suzann Pettersen/Beatriz Recari (Europe) vs. Brittany Lang/Angela Stanford (U.S.)

8:04 a.m.: Catriona Matthew/Jodi Ewart-Shadoff (Europe) vs. Morgan Pressel/Jessica Korda (U.S.)

8:16 a.m.: Azahara Munoz/Karine Icher (Europe) vs. Cristie Kerr/Paula Creamer (U.S.)

Team USA ... GET THAT CUP BACK!!!:banana:

Cannot believe I am not there. Hubby surprised me with a vacation to Costa Rica this weekend so had to bail. They better get the Golf Channel in the rain forest!

So many great stories at this years Solheim Cup. My personal favorite is that of Worth and Myles Blackwelder (Mallory's dad and Bro) Worth is on Cristie Kerr's bag (USA), Myles is with Jody Ewart Shadoff (EU) would love to see this pairing.

Here is the full story: http://www.golftraditions.com/experiences/family-tradition-2/

Back