2011 US Amateur Thread (Spoilers)

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
The Golf Channel just started their coverage of this event, thought I'd put up a thread in case people wanted to comment on it.

The match play portion of the tournament was supposed to start now, but there was a big rain delay yesterday, so right now they are in a playoff to determine the final match play spots. It's 20 guys for 4 spots! They went off for the playoff on #10 at Erin Hills in 4 fivesomes. #10 is a BRUTAL hole, 524 yard par-4 where you have to carry it 300 yards off of the tee to get to a downslope that makes the approach shot much shorter. Most of the guys haven't been able to do it, and are left with fairway wood approach shots, almost unheard of for these guys.

Guys that have already secured their spots in the match play portion of the tournament include Peter Uihlein, Tom Lewis, Patrick Cantlay, Beau Hossler, Jordan Spieth, Russell Henley, and Harris English.

Read earlier on twitter it's playing at 7,700? and with the wear should play over 8000. Talk about crazy.

On Morning Drive today they were saying that this is the most stacked field in a U.S. Am in years. I love watching this, between the U.S. Am and the Barclays this is going to be a really good weekend to watch golf.

That is some incredible talent. I'd love to see Russell Henley win it.

Pulling for Jordan Spieth!! Local guy..

Tappin' from my iPad!

Read earlier on twitter it's playing at 7,700? and with the wear should play over 8000. Talk about crazy.

Yes; I have played this course numerous times. It is long and plays VERY long with the wind, etc. I love this course and love that the US Amateur is playing there.

Looking forward to hearing how Jordan and Peter do.

Watching now....this hole is crazy. Looking like 10 of the 20 will move to next playoff hole after making pars. Other 10 made bogey. Nerve wracking...

Tappin' from my iPad!

Watching now....this hole is crazy. Looking like 10 of the 20 will move to next playoff hole after making pars. Other 10 made bogey. Nerve wracking...

Tappin' from my iPad!
Could you imagine the nerves you'd have in a 20 man playoff for 4 spots? The way they do it is the first 5 plays the hole then waits to see how the rest finish and so on, so that last group has 15 guys standing there waiting for them to see if they'll advance. Talk about pressure!

One of these guys already won a Nationwide event this year....

Some crazy good swings these kids have.

Tappin' from my iPad!

My #2 man on my old HS team qualified, but missed the cut today. Was really pulling for him. Hurt his back earlier in the week and almost WD'd. Talk about bad timing to get injured

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Im rooting for Uihelin. I dont know why but I look his swing and his whole demeanor.

That is some incredible talent. I'd love to see Russell Henley win it.

We're pulling for him too since he is from Macon, GA and my instructor has taught him for 11 years. We watched him win the Nationwide tournament in Athens and he is such a talent. They say he is a super nice guy who loves the fans.

Go Russell Henley! KellyBo and I followed him for 18 holes at a Nationwide Tour event (he won) in Athens, Ga. at the UGA course. Great guy. He smiled and chatted with fans all up and down the fairways!

If you want to follow the scores online for the 64-man match play portion of the tournament, here is the scoring link: http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869326&year=2011&type=reversetree

If both of them win their first-round matches (both matches weren't completed today because of darkness), the marquee matchup of the second round will be Russell Henley (winner of a Nationwide event earlier this year as mentioned above) vs. Patrick Cantlay (multiple good performances in PGA Tour events this year), it's a shame they have to play one another that early in the tournament.

When I played Erin Hills I didn't play it that long. I figured why tear it up from that distance, talk about it on THP, and ruin the venue's credibility.

I wish I had time to get up there and watch. Stupid work. I fear The Morgan Cup has destroyed my motivation to be productive.

Kevin

My buddy is playing in this, Jamie Parsons. From my hometown, we worked together, now hes on a scholarship at Drexel! He didnt make the cut though.

Good job Jamie. You did us proud.

I missed the coverage today. Really wanted to watch:sad::sweat::birthday:

Love these events. Can see a mortal man's swing in action.

Cantlay and Henley both won their first round matches, so they will face off in the second round starting a little later today. They are still completing some of the first round matches at this time.

Cantlay and Henley both won their first round matches, so they will face off in the second round starting a little later today. They are still completing some of the first round matches at this time.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Henley. Will this be televised?

Keeping my fingers crossed for Henley. Will this be televised?

Here is the TV schedule:

Date Network Match-Play Round Time (EDT)

Aug. 24 Golf Channel First Round 3-5 p.m.
Aug. 25 Golf Channel Second Round 1-3 p.m.
Aug. 26 Golf Channel Quarterfinals 1-3 p.m.
Aug. 27 NBC Semifinals 4-6 p.m.
Aug. 28 NBC Championship 4-6 p.m.

going to try get there Sunday to walk/watch--for sure the best way for me be on a course of that caliber!!

Watching this and knowing the US Open is coming to it...

Does it bother you a links style will be for the US Open championship. Just something to think about..I'm just trying to think of the last time I saw the US open as a links style.

Watching this and knowing the US Open is coming to it...

Does it bother you a links style will be for the US Open championship. Just something to think about..I'm just trying to think of the last time I saw the US open as a links style.

I think it will be very cool. They will have that rough "deadly" by then. Even worse than it is now and these guys were struggling with it yesterday. Just saw a long birdie putt approaching the hole and started to stop about 5 feet short and then it started to trickle away and ended up off the green over 40 feet away. :beat-up:

I think it will be very cool. They will have that rough "deadly" by then. Even worse than it is now and these guys were struggling with it yesterday. Just saw a long birdie putt approaching the hole and started to stop about 5 feet short and then it started to trickle away and ended up off the green over 40 feet away. :beat-up:

Dude....I can't get over your Beibs signature. Its so.....awful....

Back