Search results for query: *

1. bkuehn1952

Percentages - Walking vs. Riding

I am in the 40-59% range. I walk a lot but most of my tournaments require riding. My regular group consists of riders and if the course is fairly open, I will ride so as to not hold things up. There are also courses where walking is not feasible because of looooong distances between green and...
  2. bkuehn1952

Show Us Your Snow Golfer

Oops. Wrong forum
  3. bkuehn1952

What percentage of golfers break 100 at least once in their lifetime?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/how-many-golfers-break-100/ar-BB1hmtlw According to the NGF (see link above), 55% of players break 100 regularly and 86% eventually break 100 at least once. Of course, this leaves a lot of questions unanswered such as whether the score was achieved by...
  4. bkuehn1952

2024 USGA Handicap Calculation Changes

Most of the changes will only affect players who regularly play and post nine hole scores. This article explains the changes better than I can. https://www.foremagazine.com/featured/ch-ch-ch-changes-2024-updates-to-the-world-handicap-system/
  5. bkuehn1952

Denmark Island Golf

We visited an island in Denmark, Aero Island. We made a trip across the small island to see a lighthouse and found a golf course attached to the lighthouse, Aero Golf Club. 18 holes, range, practice area, clubhouse and … a lighthouse. Spectacular views of the Baltic Sea on many of the holes as...
  6. bkuehn1952

Play in cool steady rain or wait for a better day?

Our organization has a tournament scheduled for tomorrow. It is not a major event for the us, just one of 15 one day tournaments we hold. There is a good chance when the first tee time goes off there will be a steady rain with cool temperatures (63 f). Do you play or sit it out? Entry fee is...
  7. bkuehn1952

Any Successful Methods for Improving Amateur Tournament Pace of Play?

Our senior club has about 190 members ranging in age (50-97) and ability (Index 0.0 to 36.0). In theory, we require all members to be capable of playing 18 holes in a foursome within 4 1/2 hours. We stage 15 one-day net tournaments each summer along with a Match Play Championship and a 3-day...
  8. bkuehn1952

How do/did you determine your driver distance?

If someone asked me my average driver distance, I would be hard pressed to give an accurate number. On a very wet, cool day recently, I measured where my well hit drive plugged (189 yards). I figure for me a decently hit drive might carry180-200 yards. Every once in a while, I use my GPS to...
  9. bkuehn1952

Have You Ever Run Out of Golf Balls During a Round?

The pro that had 1 ball to play for the whole round got me thinking. Long ago, I was down to the ball I was playing and a spare. Killington Golf Course was difficult and ate errant shots. My wife went through her supply and started on mine. On the 16th hole she asked for another ball and I said...
  10. bkuehn1952

Accuracy Counts - Closest to the Pin Contests

Almost every charity outing and many low level tournaments include a "closest to the pin" competition. I have won a few but I have never been especially fortunate with this type of skill contest. The typical prize has been a round of golf or a dozen balls. How about everyone else? Anyone aced a...
  11. bkuehn1952

Time to Get Your Brag On - Long Drive Contest Wins

Typically outings and low level tournaments have a long drive hole. The metal sign sits out there waiting for your name. I used to say I often put my name on the sign … if I was in the first group to play the hole. I have won a single long drive contest in 60+ years of playing. It was not a...
  12. bkuehn1952

Would/Will You Play an "Elite Tournament" Ball If/When the USGA Limits Ball Distance (Assuming No Cost Difference)

It is not a sure thing, but there is a real chance that the USGA/R&A may adopt different ball standards for elite events via a Local Rule. If that happens, there would likely be an "elite limited distance" ball and then our "regular" ball. For me, I don't see myself playing in any tournament...
  13. bkuehn1952

Should You Go Out as a Single on a Busy Day?

There is no correct answer to the poll question. If a course will allow a single to book a time or walk on as a single, obviously the course has no issue with it. Even if permitted, do you go out as a single on a busy day? Prior to the creation of online booking of tee times, I would...
  14. bkuehn1952

Reserving Tee Times You Know You Won’t Use

I had an interesting situation this morning. A threesome was signed up for the first tee time of the day based on the online booking site. I signed up as the 4th. When the starter said 6:48 could go to the tee, I introduced myself to the twosome and asked where their 3rd was. One of the guys...
  15. bkuehn1952

White Golf Shirts and Sun Screen Stains - Any Solution?

I like to wear white golf shirts occasionally but they always are ruined by sun screen stains. Anyone heard of a solution? Or do I give up on wearing white when the sun is an issue?
  16. bkuehn1952

What's the earliest tee time you have ever reserved?

We are on the far side of the eastern time zone, so the sun rises later than the east coast (and thus sets later). I have a 6:40am tee time for Friday. That is pretty darn early for the Mitten. How about the rest of you? Anyone tee it up at 12:01am in the "Land of the Midnight Sun?"
  17. bkuehn1952

Waterproof Shoes - Do They Ever Last the Warranty Period?

I typically purchase FootJoy shoes and always look for shoes that have a 2-year waterproof warranty. I walk a lot, in all weather, other than when it is snowing. I even swap out my newer pair for an old pair of waterproof, spikeless Etonics when it is really soggy in winter. Inevitably, the...
  18. bkuehn1952

97 Year Old Beats His Age By 22 Strokes in Tournament

And I should know, he beat me by a stroke (75 vs. 76). Our senior golf club holds amateur tournaments throughout SE Michigan. Last Saturday our founder, Jim Briegel, had a very good day. He beats his age every time he plays. Five birdies. 5,800 yards. Play the ball down. A short interview/story...
  19. bkuehn1952

How much driving distance golfers lose as they age

According to a study done by Arccos, most of us are doomed to become short-hitting senior citizens some day. If you are 25 year old and hit it 251 on average off the tee, when you are 65 you are probably going to hit your average drive 217 yards. Here is the chart. Age across the top. Find your...
  20. bkuehn1952

Are You Playing Golf If You Do Not Keep Score?

Yes, this is a nit-picking discussion. An acquaintance recently said he played golf in February. In the Mitten State, February golf is rare. I asked what he shot. He replied that he did not keep score. My immediate thought, unspoken, was that he definitely did not play golf, he had a range...
Back