Should You Go Out as a Single on a Busy Day?

Should You Go Out as a Single on a Busy Day?

• Yes

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Usually yes

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Depends

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Usually no

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 14.3%

• Total voters

bkuehn1952

Making Bogies Since 1960
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10.4 Index
There is no correct answer to the poll question. If a course will allow a single to book a time or walk on as a single, obviously the course has no issue with it. Even if permitted, do you go out as a single on a busy day?

Prior to the creation of online booking of tee times, I would occasionally go to a couple local courses solo. I would ask at registration whether they had any twosomes or threesomes scheduled. If yes, I would wait and ask the groups if they minded having a 3rd or 4th join them. I was rarely turned away. With online booking, it is easier to see the level of activity at many courses. If there are no spots open until 4:00pm, I just do something else that day. Otherwise, I insert myself into a twosome or threesome.

I won't intentionally sign up as a single or go out solo on a busy day. I love to play golf, but I do not want to be a single in a sea of foursomes. Even if the course would let me go out solo, I will hang around and attempt to hook up with someone else. A few times I have been surprised when the others in my adopted group stop after nine. It is the pits when one is stranded mid-round behind a long line of foursomes.

I play when and where I want to, zero eff's given.

Yeah. If I want to and obviously the course doesn't have a problem with it.

There is no correct answer to the poll question. If a course will allow a single to book a time or walk on as a single, obviously the course has no issue with it. Even if permitted, do you go out as a single on a busy day?

Prior to the creation of online booking of tee times, I would occasionally go to a couple local courses solo. I would ask at registration whether they had any twosomes or threesomes scheduled. If yes, I would wait and ask the groups if they minded having a 3rd or 4th join them. I was rarely turned away. With online booking, it is easier to see the level of activity at many courses. If there are no spots open until 4:00pm, I just do something else that day. Otherwise, I insert myself into a twosome or threesome.

I won't intentionally sign up as a single or go out solo on a busy day. I love to play golf, but I do not want to be a single in a sea of foursomes. Even if the course would let me go out solo, I will hang around and attempt to hook up with someone else. A few times I have been surprised when the others in my adopted group stop after nine. It is the pits when one is stranded mid-round behind a long line of foursomes.
Yeah I'd have to agree with you. I wouldn't do it even if I wanted to. I much prefer to get grouped with another threesome or pair

I’m not going to dictate to the course what I’m going to do on a busy day, and when it makes sense, I’ll offer to let another group join me (if we are both waiting at every tee box for example). But I don’t have any issues playing as a single as long as the course is ok with it.

If a course can fit me in, yeah I’m gonna play. If I get paired, awesome. If it’s just me, awesome.

This guy gets it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 👆

I say no, but in reality it's the course/starter that's the responsible party. Every time I show up as a single I ask at check-in who I'm being paired up with. If they tell me to head out on my own, then that's what I do - but I almost always look to join a group that's less than a foursome.

My local courses are good about getting me out as a single even without a tee time, sometimes I don't learn until last minute that I have the time for golf

The courses don't require a deposit so they have some no shows and they just slide me in there

If the course sends you out as a single on a crowded course, no issue. Just expect it to be slow and don’t expect everyone to let you consistently play through.

I've gone out as a single before at my local 9. What usually happens is I will eventually get stuck behind a foursome. If the group behind me is a 2/3 some I'll invite them to join me. If not, it's just a lot of waiting around by yourself.

Have also been inadvertently been hit into by the group behind me as a single. I usually do push cart and if I’m looking for my ball in the trees the group behind me might not realize there’s a person hidden in front of them and they just tee off.

If a course can fit me in, yeah I’m gonna play. If I get paired, awesome. If it’s just me, awesome.
I agree with you on this one!

I dislike playing as a single, can't stand the company......:unsure:

Courses around here won't let singles go on busy days, they will put you in a group or you won't play...

At my private club i have done this , however only if there are open times not being used, and i use them as practice rounds usually before tournaments

I think it helps faster play but only if the course does it for all singles - grouping together speeds up play ... and playing the correct tees ... and not thinking you are playing for $1m when putting ... and if you get off the green quickly when finished, and while you are jacking around on the green, try fixing pitch marks.

I remember the days when you showed up at the municipal course and checked in with the starter to see if a single could get a time to tee it up usually paired wtih other golfers. Met some great people and got a good job from meeting the right guy.

Yes.

Good Golfing

Last edited:
I've gone out as a single before at my local 9. What usually happens is I will eventually get stuck behind a foursome. If the group behind me is a 2/3 some I'll invite them to join me. If not, it's just a lot of waiting around by yourself.

Have also been inadvertently been hit into by the group behind me as a single. I usually do push cart and if I’m looking for my ball in the trees the group behind me might not realize there’s a person hidden in front of them and they just tee off.

I pretty much do the same. If there is no one really behind and it's jammed ahead i'll typically practice some pitches and chips around the green after I putt out, get in some bunker work, practice putting. These rounds are mostly just a glorified practice session which I find way more useful than going to the range.

For a guy in my early 40s with lots of obligations, I play when I can fit it in. Worrying about being a solo on a busy day is the least of my concerns.

If the course is good with it, I'm playing. If I see a single or a group of 2 or 3 behind me, I usually end up asking them to join me. I say usually because there are certain players at my course that are intolerable and I'll let them play through so I don't subject myself to them.

I can book an open tee time online as a single. As a single, I can't book online to join an existing group that has less than 4 players. It is not an option and not much more of one when I call the course.

I always play with my golfing buddy, but would play with others if asked.

On a busy day courses here won't allow singles. They won't even allow you to book an open full time as a single. Of course you can book to make 3 or 4 as part of an already booked time. Personally not sure why anyone would want to go as a single in the midst of a full course, that'd be an awful slow round in comparison.

Not on a busy day and I will never understand why a course will allow it to happen.

Nothing wrong with it, but if I’m a single and it’s busy, I’d want to be paired up. I wouldn’t enjoy all the hanging around as a single personally.

I sign for the tee time expecting to be paired. On the occasions I am not, if I head out and end up waiting on groups ahead, there is a pretty good chance I will get caught by groups behind. When I do if they are less than four I ALWAYS ask if they want to pair up (sometimes multiple times as there seems to have become a stigma to joining on certain courses..but after the long wait sometimes they will change their mind and I want them to have the option.)

I have even been known to have a foursome join me when I can see they "get" ready golf and we are not going to fall behind. Had zero issues with it and it works pretty well. I get to golf both ways and if they join in time the round becomes recordable...always a bonus.

Back