Srixon Z-Star Irons

How often do you have to play before clubs like these become altered. Everyday use? Two days a week? Or does it soley depend of the player.

How often do you have to play before clubs like these become altered. Everyday use? Two days a week? Or does it soley depend of the player.

I think all irons should be checked at a minimum of once a year.

1025 carbon steel can still be altered by repeated strikes to the ground.

I thought they were using the 1025 carbon steel in the "frame" and 1020 in the face, specifically to avoid this issue.?.?....

Pretty sure I answered it the first time you posed the question. All companies try and work against this and make things better, but 1025 carbon steel CAN still alter with repeated swings to the ground.

Just catching up with this thread. Love the looks of these irons. Want to hit them to see if they work for me like they work for JB. Would be hard to get rid of my current set though.

Pretty sure I answered it the first time you posed the question. All companies try and work against this and make things better, but 1025 carbon steel CAN still alter with repeated swings to the ground.

Yep, you re-answered faster than I could figure out how to delete the duplicate post. Now that is fast.

Makes sense. At least they are trying to minimize the problem through smart design and build characteristics. Hats off to them for their unique approach.

Yep, you re-answered faster than I could figure out how to delete the duplicate post. Now that is fast.

Makes sense. At least they are trying to minimize the problem through smart design and build characteristics. Hats off to them for their unique approach.

Yeah, I think that is the goal for many companies and we will see more of it over the next few years.

I think all irons should be checked at a minimum of once a year.

JB, this may be a dumb question, but can you manually check all of your specs or do you have to take them to a shop to measure the lie, loft, ect, ect?

JB, this may be a dumb question, but can you manually check all of your specs or do you have to take them to a shop to measure the lie, loft, ect, ect?

You should really take them in and have them checked.

I finally found a demo day that is supposed to have these. I am going to hit them along with a bunch of others. The hard part will be walking away without ordering something. I really want new irons but I want to take my time to make the best decision possible. I will report back after I hit them this Saturday.

OMG! Finally a set of irons that might kick my Hogan's out of my bag (same irons since 2002). Been trying for years now but I haven't found anything better. This looks and sounds like it might be the irons to do that. Love everything I'm seeing and reading about it. Especially that Nippon 1050 Pro shaft which is stock, wont have to reshaft!

mullie

Really interested in these clubs and hope to hit them this weekend. Mullie, I've never hit the Nippon 1050 Pro shaft so it would be great to get your thoughts on why you like it and how it compares to any other shafts you've used. Thanks.

OMG! Finally a set of irons that might kick my Hogan's out of my bag (same irons since 2002). Been trying for years now but I haven't found anything better. This looks and sounds like it might be the irons to do that. Love everything I'm seeing and reading about it. Especially that Nippon 1050 Pro shaft which is stock, wont have to reshaft!

mullie

Really interested in these clubs and hope to hit them this weekend. Mullie, I've never hit the Nippon 1050 Pro shaft so it would be great to get your thoughts on why you like it and how it compares to any other shafts you've used. Thanks.

Kellerjam,

I like the 1050's because of its weight, feel, ball flight, consistency, and stability with diffent types of shots. I went from the stock Hogan "4" (stiff) shafts to DG S300's to Flighted Rifles. About two years ago I wanted to go to a lighter shaft. I tried the following:

Nippon 1050's
Nippon 950's (too light, ball flight to high, feel just wasn't where I wanted it)
Nippon 1150's (good but a bit too boardy for me on 3/4 shots)
KBS Tour and Tour 90 (didn't feel as good to me as the Nippons)

These were all tested with my 8 iron and 5 iron heads so the only differences were the shafts.

I chose the 1050's because I got the ball fight I wanted. The feel was excellent. It worked well with my full swing and on 3/4 swings. And most important, the distance control and dispersion was the tightest. Hope this helps!

mullie

Thanks, Mullie, very helpful. Any experience vs the PXs? I am realizing lighter shafts aren't for me. My PXs on another set give me very good ball flight, distance control and dispersion but would like a bit more feel. The Nippons look like a good candidate on paper to maintain those benefits with the increased feel.

Kellerjam,

I like the 1050's because of its weight, feel, ball flight, consistency, and stability with diffent types of shots. I went from the stock Hogan "4" (stiff) shafts to DG S300's to Flighted Rifles. About two years ago I wanted to go to a lighter shaft. I tried the following:

Nippon 1050's
Nippon 950's (too light, ball flight to high, feel just wasn't where I wanted it)
Nippon 1150's (good but a bit too boardy for me on 3/4 shots)
KBS Tour and Tour 90 (didn't feel as good to me as the Nippons)

These were all tested with my 8 iron and 5 iron heads so the only differences were the shafts.

I chose the 1050's because I got the ball fight I wanted. The feel was excellent. It worked well with my full swing and on 3/4 swings. And most important, the distance control and dispersion was the tightest. Hope this helps!

mullie

Thanks, Mullie, very helpful. Any experience vs the PXs? I am realizing lighter shafts aren't for me. My PXs on another set give me very good ball flight, distance control and dispersion but would like a bit more feel. The Nippons look like a good candidate on paper to maintain those benefits with the increased feel.

My Rifle Flighted PXs were 5.5. I definitely got more feel with the Nippons, especially on 3/4 shots. Long irons with the Nippon were better than the PXs. Higher ball flight and easier to hit. Nippons were also easier for me to control trajectory on those windy days. All in all I found it to be a more consistent and versatile shaft for me. Even on those days when my swing wasn't all there, the results were more forgiving than the PXs. I guess its a more forgiving shaft if that makes any sense.

If you're not liking the weight of your KBS 90, then look at the 1050's or even the 1150's. I too didn't care for the weight or ball flight of the KBS 90 & Nippon 950 shafts. Good luck!

mullie

Great feedback - in particular, I like the prospect of hitting longer irons higher and farther, which is a weak spot for me. Hopefully, I get a chance to hit these this weekend at a demo day and I'll report back my thoughts.

My Rifle Flighted PXs were 5.5. I definitely got more feel with the Nippons, especially on 3/4 shots. Long irons with the Nippon were better than the PXs. Higher ball flight and easier to hit. Nippons were also easier for me to control trajectory on those windy days. All in all I found it to be a more consistent and versatile shaft for me. Even on those days when my swing wasn't all there, the results were more forgiving than the PXs. I guess its a more forgiving shaft if that makes any sense.

If you're not liking the weight of your KBS 90, then look at the 1050's or even the 1150's. I too didn't care for the weight or ball flight of the KBS 90 & Nippon 950 shafts. Good luck!

mullie

I nearly bought the Srixon Z-TX irons last year but decided to hold off. These look even better, in every way. I think I will have to give them a test soon.
Getting these irons would mess up a few other clubs, though, it seems. By looking at the degree of each club I would need a 50* wedge instead of a 52... Or buy a 48 wedge to bridge the gap. Plus my hybrid is nearly the same degree as the 5-iron.
Much to ponder!

Well I was told that the Z-Star's would be with the Cleveland rep at the demo day I went to yesterday. Unfortunetly they weren't there and the rep said he never has Srixon irons with him. Dang, the agony continues. I feel like I am getting close to being ready to order something but I don't want to do it without giving these a try.

It speaks volumes to me that these are still in JB's bag. That is all.

Dear THP,
We have come to a stressful point in our relationship.

As my bank account continues to take huge hits over the past several months due to your insightful and helpful input with all things equipment I have come across other problems as well. My wife is about to cut up my bank card and put me on house arrest, every time I go to the range I have people asking me tons of questions about the newest hottness that's in my bag (to the point that I almost can't get any good range time in), and my mind is running wild with indecisiveness.

All of this and now you throw another set of irons out in front of me that just seem that they would be better than the last. And to top it all off the only way I will ever know is to BUY them!!! So buy them I must, and I will.

At the end of the day I love you THP, no matter how bad you may be for my marriage or my bank account!

Oh, and OEM, you may have been hoeing longer. But I'm coming for your title!!!

I don't think OEM has anything to worry about....OEM has his nickname for a reason....his reputation precedes himself....just like Highlander, there can only be 'one.'
Oh, and OEM, you may have been hoeing longer. But I'm coming for your title!!!

O.K., but I'd like to keep my head, please!

+1 Definitely want to try and hit these in 2 weeks
It speaks volumes to me that these are still in JB's bag. That is all.

Dear THP,
We have come to a stressful point in our relationship.

As my bank account continues to take huge hits over the past several months due to your insightful and helpful input with all things equipment I have come across other problems as well. My wife is about to cut up my bank card and put me on house arrest, every time I go to the range I have people asking me tons of questions about the newest hottness that's in my bag (to the point that I almost can't get any good range time in), and my mind is running wild with indecisiveness.

All of this and now you throw another set of irons out in front of me that just seem that they would be better than the last. And to top it all off the only way I will ever know is to BUY them!!! So buy them I must, and I will.

At the end of the day I love you THP, no matter how bad you may be for my marriage or my bank account!

I don't want to "enable", but I went to a Cleveland Demo Day at Mililani GC last week and they had a demo set of the irons in stiff. They also had the driver and a few fairway woods.
I don't know their schedule, but if you want to try before you buy. . .
If you really need them, call Joey at Aloha Golf'. I'm pretty sure he can get them for you.

BTW they really do feel "good". If they had a regular to try, I might have ordered a set that night.
They are on my "list' along with the CB 2's and the A12's (want to try these before I decide).

Back