JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Tour is battling for a #1 golfer for the first time in a long time. Forget about the real count. Who is your #1 and why?

Tiger W - Has not won in ages. Shows flashes of brilliance in each event only to come back with 1 or 2 average rounds. But won plenty before the "incident" to still hold the spot by their math.

Phil M - Won the Masters. Played in contention and well in many other events. Yet also has shown flashes of brilliance only to fall apart the other day or two and not claim the spot. Not playing Great golf right now. At least not 4 rounds of it.

Lee W - Very consistent. Finished high in majors. Never won a major. Won on the PGA Tour (not a strong field), and has won on the Euro Tour plenty. Hard to gauge for some based on competition many feel. Extremely consistent despite NEVER winning the big one.

Steve S - Played better than most at the end of last year and even early this year. Fell off for a while, while he battled injuries. Came back to complete form late in the year and it showed. Won more than one event, but the Majors hurt.

Jim F - Won the FedEx Cup. Played great golf this year with multiple wins. Most likely PGA Tour Player of the Year. Struggled in some big events at times and when he struggles he is no where to be found.

Matt K - Consistent like Westwood. Not as high ranking in some events, but right on the edge of winning multiple. Certainly belongs in the conversation based on his end of year.

Dustin Johnson - Multiple winner. Dominated certain aspects of majors. Known for Bunkergate and blowing up at the US Open, but was in contention. Could be the next big thing in golf. Stupid Long!

Els - Crazy good comeback year. He won twice this year and played excellent golf. But also fell apart in some big tournaments. If he has returned to form, could he make the splash at #1?

Martin K - Won a major this year. Won in Europe this year. Crazy good player with every shot in the bag. Does he need to play on the PGA Tour more or in more events and showcase those skills at the highest level?

Graeme M - Won the US Open. Seems to have figured out the way to win from that point on. Has his game firing on all cylinders and ready to make the prime move. Expect to see him much more on the PGA Tour next year as well.

• Admin
I think tiger's in store foer a big 2011. He'll be #1.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Steve Stricker, IMHO. Consistant, two wins, had all parts of the game at points all though he faced injuries. Might not last long in that position, but who else will?

Great post, this one will start some serious debate and I see a lot of discussion going on in this one. Right now the #1 golfer in the world is Tiger Woods, he built such a huge lead that he deserves to be #1 still despite not playing great golf as of late. He's on the verge of losing his ranking I know and while I see how it's possible I'll have a hard time having confidence in our new #1 when he doesn't even have a major title to his name.

I'm only giving 1 lock solid answer and I won't flip flop on it, Tiger Woods is the #1 player in the world right now. You can tell me he's not PLAYING the best right now and I can't argue with that, but based on the points system in place he is the best golfer in the world.

Tiger still has my vote. I think next year we will be dealing with the Tiger of old. Dustin will be #1 in a few years. He keeps getting better and better. Sunday pressure is becoming more of the norm for him, and soon he wont be phased. DJ will be a multiple major winner.

I think I'd say Furyk at the moment.

If kooch could just get a couple more W's then I give it to him no doubt. Idk its tough, but id go with him or DJ being number 1

OOOOHHHHH, great topic.

I love Tiger, I think he will come back and play amazing golf next year, but at the moment he's not.

Phil- No. Cant finish a tourny.

My pick- Dustin Johnson. He is like a young Tiger. Crazy talent. Level headed. He will win, and win, and win. Best player.

but based on the points system in place he is the best golfer in the world.

Thats not the question P4B. That part is obvious. We want to know who someone thinks is #1 now and why. If they could create their own rankings, who would be on top.

For me it would be Dustin Johnson. I like everything about his game(except for Sundays lol)

Thats not the question P4B. That part is obvious. We want to know who someone thinks is #1 now and why. If they could create their own rankings, who would be on top.
Well if I were to create rankings I would have to factor in how they've gotten to the point they're currently at so I'd still take Tiger. Not only that but I think the Ryder Cup was a glimpse at what is to come in 2011.

Well if I were to create rankings I would have to factor in how they've gotten to the point they're currently at so I'd still take Tiger. Not only that but I think the Ryder Cup was a glimpse at what is to come in 2011.

I assume you mean Monday. I hope you dont mean the other two....hehe

And be honest....You said that after his low round at the US Open too.

I like Kuchar. He seems to be up at the top somewhere almost every single week.

you know what's interesting? when golf digest poll'd 50 random PGA tour players (in last month or the month befores issue, i can't remember), anthony kim received a large % of votes. when your peers see that potential, it's hard to not at least consider him.

I assume you mean Monday. I hope you dont mean the other two....hehe

And be honest....You said that after his low round at the US Open too.
I can't lie, I'm one of those screaming that TIGER'S BACK after every good hole. You got me. But while Monday was his BEST day of the Ryder Cup had that been a individual tournament he would have kept himself in the middle of the pack then pounced from way behind in the final round and won. YOU know this man!

It realy is as if there is no number 1 golfer right now. I kind of like this guy right now...

Martin Kaymer - Currently ranked 6th in the Wold Rankings

3 wins this year - 1 Major Championship. T8th at US Open T7th British Open.
Also had 2 wins in 2009

Won the 2010 Abu Dhabi Golf Championship which had a solid field. Rory, Poulter, AK, Oosthuizen, Peter Hanson, Molinari Brothers, Paul Casey, Henrik Stenson, Geoff Oglivy, Westwood, Sergio, GMAC, Robert Karlson, and more.

the previous post was my honorary european status talking

Dustin Johnson has the tools but I wouldn't rank him #1 yet. I think Stricker is the most consistent. He would get my vote.

Westwood doesn't win anything. I don't see how he can be #1.

Stricker has been the most consistent with five wins in the last two seasons. It's a shame his shoulder went out on him. I'll admit he needs to play better in the majors.

Kevin

No one is number one. Next season will tell all though.

I think tiger will win at Sheshan and at the masters in aussie.

No one is number one. Next season will tell all though.

I think tiger will win at Sheshan and at the masters in aussie.

To be fair dont you pick him to win in every event? :D

Stricker would help his case if he showed up at majors. Majors in '09 T6, T23, T52, CUT '10 T30, T58, T55, T18

I don't think I would have him ranked number 1

stricker would be my #1 for wearing khaki.

dude can bring it!

Back