no more kaymer love huh? he's getting waxed by an average pga tour regular. so much for that winning streak you were going on about. just proves to me how weak the euro tour field really is.

nobody cares about the grand slam, including the players. Well, maybe Toms cares about it.

no more kaymer love huh? he's getting waxed by an average pga tour regular. so much for that winning streak you were going on about. just proves to me how weak the euro tour field really is.

I still think Kaymer is the best in the world right now. But I'd love to see Tiger take out Westwood and end his reign of world number 1 at 7 days haha

nobody cares about the grand slam, including the players. Well, maybe Toms cares about it.

Funny how both GMAC and Kaymer finished in last of the 4 players. Doesn't mean a thing. At the end of the day both of them are going home and staring a major trophy on their mantle from 2010.

Doesn't mean a thing huh? And you know this how? I'd think that being competitive and not looking like turd on TV would be motivation enough. He didn't play like the best player in the world but that's OK, this event means nothing to the players....uh huh.

Funny how both GMAC and Kaymer finished in last of the 4 players. Doesn't mean a thing. At the end of the day both of them are going home and staring a major trophy on their mantle from 2010.

sent from my genius phone!

Doesn't mean a thing huh? And you know this how? I'd think that being competitive and not looking like turd on TV would be motivation enough. He didn't play like the best player in the world but that's OK, this event means nothing to the players....uh huh.

come on really? So he had a bad 36 holes of golf. This event is clearly not as big of a deal as a regular tournament or Phil would have played. Not to mention they are playing with microphones so it is a far more relaxing, glorified exhibition event meant to pair the 4 major winners together.

I know you want to talk about him in big events with strong fields. How about this performances in the last 3 majors this year? T8,T7, 1? Name me another golfer who had that success over the last 3 majors this year.

You forgot one of the majors. How did he do at Augusta?

You are missing TC's point DD. What he is saying is that you cannot possibly reward a golfer with the #1 status that does not play the best on a week in and week out basis. That was the point of his argument the entire time. Golfers can get up and play well at certain events and even majors like Kaymer did. He is playing great golf and one his first major (albeit interesting). But until he plays the best week in and week out, I could not rank him #1. My opinion of course.

But to me it is like the world baseball classic and seeing a phenom from some other country out dueling Halladay or CC for a tournament. They were the best for a brief period, but until they come to the major leagues and do it for a period of time, they should not be called #1...Again, only in my opinion.

You forgot one of the majors. How did he do at Augusta?

You are missing TC's point DD. What he is saying is that you cannot possibly reward a golfer with the #1 status that does not play the best on a week in and week out basis. That was the point of his argument the entire time. Golfers can get up and play well at certain events and even majors like Kaymer did. He is playing great golf and one his first major (albeit interesting). But until he plays the best week in and week out, I could not rank him #1. My opinion of course.

But to me it is like the world baseball classic and seeing a phenom from some other country out dueling Halladay or CC for a tournament. They were the best for a brief period, but until they come to the major leagues and do it for a period of time, they should not be called #1...Again, only in my opinion.

He was hanging out with Jim Furyk on Sat/Sunday at the Masters. I understand your point. But it's not like he is Louis Oosthuizen who won 1 event early in the year and then won a major and then nothing. He performed well in 3 of 4 majors, winning 1, and won 2 other tournaments. Would you have a huge problem with him leap frogging in to number 1 at the end of the month? It's still a possibility.

This is like the Boise State argument. Can you penalize them because they don't play in a major conference? It's different but in a way the same.

Yes I would. Not as much as Westwood, because he won a major, but I believe you need to play in the majors to be #1. My opinion only of course. Here is his record playing on the big boy tour from 2010.

Feb 17 - 21 WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship (PGA) - - $95,000 0.00 T17th
Feb 25 - 28 Waste Management Phoenix Open (PGA) 74-72-MC-MC 4-over - -
Mar 11 - 14 WGC-CA Championship (PGA) 70-72-66-69 11-under $426,667 0.00 T3rd
Apr 1 - 4 Shell Houston Open (PGA) 71-76-MC-MC 3-over - -
Apr 8 - 11 The Masters (PGA) 76-73-MC-MC 5-over - T54th
May 6 - 9 THE PLAYERS Championship (PGA) 70-71-68-76 3-under $49,020 T34th
Jun 17 - 20 U.S. Open Championship (PGA) 74-71-72-72 5-over $177,534 T8th
Jul 15 - 18 The Open Championship (PGA) 69-71-68-74 6-under $186,239 T7th
Aug 5 - 8 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational (PGA) 72-67-69-71 1-under $72,000 T22nd
Aug 12 - 15 PGA Championship (PGA) 72-68-67-70 11-under $1,350,000 1st
Oct 1 - 4 Ryder Cup (PGA)

10 events, 7 cuts made, 4 top 10. 1 win - Major.

Lee Westwood(comparison to another European Golfer who played in similar # of events)

11 events, 11 cuts made, 6 top 10. 1 win

Westwood is more consistent, Kaymer has the more impressive win.
I like this debate. Going back to the initial question of who is number 1 in the world right now? I would still say that right now its Kaymer. I am a Tiger fan and hope whoever takes over the spot at the end of the month, loses it back to him in the first week of Nov.

forget it....GO JB HOLMES! just for you TC

10 events, 7 cuts made, 4 top 10. 1 win - Major.

Lee Westwood(comparison to another European Golfer who played in similar # of events)

11 events, 11 cuts made, 6 top 10. 1 win

Westwood is more consistent, Kaymer has the more impressive win.
I like this debate. Going back to the initial question of who is number 1 in the world right now? I would still say that right now its Kaymer. I am a Tiger fan and hope whoever takes over the spot at the end of the month, loses it back to him in the first week of Nov.

But like I said before. Both of those guys play against lesser competition week in and week out. If a major league team calls up a rookie and he pitches a no hitter and continues to win games and pitch decently in Sept, does that make him the best pitcher in baseball? Of course not.

To me the #1 in the world is Jim Furyk right now. He has proved it against the best in teh world week in and week out. Won the FedEx Cup and has the wins. He did not win a major this year, but has won one. He is the best in the world right now and plays on the big boy tour. Taking Lee Westwood to me would be the same as taking Matt Kuchar.

To me the #1 in the world is Jim Furyk right now. He has proved it against the best in teh world week in and week out. Won the FedEx Cup and has the wins. He did not win a major this year, but has won one. He is the best in the world right now and plays on the big boy tour. Taking Lee Westwood to me would be the same as taking Matt Kuchar.

agreed. A strong argument can be made for Furyk. I do like thim. The only knock against him that I have right now is his performances in the majors. MC, T16,MC,T24. Winning the FedEx cup after being DQ'd from the first event was awesome.

If anyone takes the top spot away from Woods, it will be short-lived. I expect Tiger to trust his new swing and have a monster year.

I gotta say it is Tiger. He didn't win any of the what 10 tournaments he played last year? Lee Westwood has been consistent, bot IMHO you can't be #1 if you haven't EVER won a major.

If anyone takes the top spot away from Woods, it will be short-lived. I expect Tiger to trust his new swing and have a monster year.

I hope so but people have been saying this for 4 months now and its beginning to look more and more bleek.

I hope so but people have been saying this for 4 months now and its beginning to look more and more bleek.

At the same time, however, how many times have you went through a horrible, long rough patch with your swing and come out of it even better then before? I know this has happened to me. I go to a place where no golfer ever wants to go, and then I come out of it with a better understanding of my swing. I am not comparing myself to Tiger in any shape or form, but I do think that this rough patch can be a blessing in disguise. Time will tell.

Kaymer is #1 as of this moment and I think he had the best year. Furyk had a great year. Tiger had the best two years as of now (barely by OWGR standards).

Last edited:
The reason I say that is Tiger's new swing relies much, much less on timing to get the club squared up at impact. He used to open the club on the backswing and had to rely on his athleticism to get it back to square at the ball. Now the club should be more square to the swing path all the way. Once he figures out that if he keeps his fundamentals he will rarely, if ever, miss left, I think we see the dominating Tiger Woods return.

Back