Has anyone ever dyed their balls?

Joshzilla

Secret Agent
Reaction score
Handicap
Nomination for best thread title ever?

I was thinking of dying my Srixon TriSpeeds to a bright orange or red so they would "pop" in the grass. Has anyone ever done this with RIT dye? Their webpage says it will work on golf balls.

Hmm. I wonder if this would change the coating on the golf ball at all
Nomination for best thread title ever?

I was thinking of dying my Srixon TriSpeeds to a bright orange or red so they would "pop" in the grass. Has anyone ever done this with RIT dye? Their webpage says it will work on golf balls.

Just was on the website, and thats cool. Sounds like a good test for JB's launch monitor

there was this bachelor party once.........nah, i think i'd just buy some srixon yellows or something. this seems like too much work for me. i golf to get away from work and honey-do stuff.

Read the website lol

i wasn't talking about the "golf" ones......hahaha

sorry dude, i'll stop now.

like i said, not interested in coloring my golf balls but i hope this process works great for the op

....I wasnt talking about the golf ones either.....
i wasn't talking about the "golf" ones......hahaha

sorry dude, i'll stop now.

like i said, not interested in coloring my golf balls but i hope this process works great for the op

Why not give them to little kids with flourescent markers and let them go to work? I can't remember who it was on Tour but a few years ago they interviewed him about his balls being art pieces. He said he lets his little girls color them all for good luck. They had flowers drawn on them and all kinds of crazy stuff. Seems that would be neater than paying some company for a lame invention like golf ball dye. Help create another artist in the world. If you don't have kids take your balls to a local childrens hospital and let them do it. There are always ways to brighten the day of a child.

I have never done this but it's a really cool idea for a gift. I can think of a ton of different ways these can be used as a gift for a friend or relative who is a golfer. It could also be a fun, mess but fun, project to do with your kids. I think it would be cool to dye some golf balls and then use the Tin-cups to mark the balls that would be perfect for a friend.

Why not give them to little kids with flourescent markers and let them go to work? I can't remember who it was on Tour but a few years ago they interviewed him about his balls being art pieces. He said he lets his little girls color them all for good luck. They had flowers drawn on them and all kinds of crazy stuff. Seems that would be neater than paying some company for a lame invention like golf ball dye. Help create another artist in the world. If you don't have kids take your balls to a local childrens hospital and let them do it. There are always ways to brighten the day of a child.

Now thats a great idea. I can remember when my child was in Childrens Mercy many years ago and those kids would have loved something like this. Good thinking SJ!

Its only a 5 minute job lol

So would that mean that "dye job" has taken on some new meaning or is perhaps a new code for something else?

Hmmm...

-JP

I'm going to give my son a sleeve tomorow and a sharpie and let him go to work... He's been so bored lately, and there's still 3 more weeks until he goes back to school...

Now to find the sharpies...

So I went and bought some cheap WS X1s at Walmart and some Rit Dye (Golden Yellow and Sunshine Orange), took more than 5 minutes and was messy but the colors looked good when done. Played with them today and they held up well and no color on my clubs, if you have sharp grooves and strike it well enough to shave some of the cover it will expose the white with short irons as the dye doesn't go deep. I would do it again but with lemon yellow for a little brighter yellow. And the Wilson Staff X1s are a nice ball for $20 per two dozen if you like a softer ball.

So I went and bought some cheap WS X1s at Walmart and some Rit Dye (Golden Yellow and Sunshine Orange), took more than 5 minutes and was messy but the colors looked good when done. Played with them today and they held up well and no color on my clubs, if you have sharp grooves and strike it well enough to shave some of the cover it will expose the white with short irons as the dye doesn't go deep. I would do it again but with lemon yellow for a little brighter yellow. And the Wilson Staff X1s are a nice ball for $20 per two dozen if you like a softer ball.

We need pictures..

on the left standard white balls, middle dyed balls, and on the right yellow and orange balls from my garbage bucket of balls. The yellow could definitely be brighter but looks better in person than this pic and the orange (bottom middle) is more orange in person but could also be a darker/richer color. If I do it a gain I will order colors online as local stores carry a very limited color selection.

http://picasaweb.google.com/don.wesenberg/20100928?authkey=Gv1sRgCIjy0uiP2sHhjwE#5522180471182848290

Last edited:
Those actually look pretty good! Curious to see how long they hold there color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had not done these myself there is no way I would think they were dyed after manufacturing, they look and feel like a factory finish. I have roughly 15 holes on one and the only white showing is where I sheared some of the cover material off with my wedge. If I can find a brighter yellow (Rit has many colors but the stores I shopped only carried about six) and a deeper orange I will definitely dye more balls. I wish I had pulled some out of the yellow dye after three minutes as the time really effects color, the second batch of yellow I did is lighter as they spent just over four minutes in the dye.

Those are some nice looking balls!!

(That's what she said......)

I think the orange ones would work great!!

I dye easter eggs, not balls

Back