Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, played with a guy this morning who told me after teeing off that the last time he played was in March when he got so upset with his game that he threw a club in the water and walked out. Yeah..... So true to form he got incredibly frustrated quickly and was swearing and hitting clubs into the ground. It was very very distracting. I didn't do well on the front and on this course the front is where you need to make scores because the back is much harder.

Fortunately he left after 9 and I joined up with a very nice grandmother. Totally opposite kind of player, very relaxing. We had a great time and played really well.

At the end of the day I carded a.... 99! That's twice in a row! Once more and I can officially say I shoot 'in the 90s'

Nice job TS! Even better since you had the extra distraction with grumpy dude.

Sweeot round, but sad to say you're kicked out of the club now :p

OK, played with a guy this morning who told me after teeing off that the last time he played was in March when he got so upset with his game that he threw a club in the water and walked out. Yeah..... So true to form he got incredibly frustrated quickly and was swearing and hitting clubs into the ground. It was very very distracting. I didn't do well on the front and on this course the front is where you need to make scores because the back is much harder.

Fortunately he left after 9 and I joined up with a very nice grandmother. Totally opposite kind of player, very relaxing. We had a great time and played really well.

At the end of the day I carded a.... 99! That's twice in a row! Once more and I can officially say I shoot 'in the 90s'

I shot 41 playing nine today, still haven't broken 100 in a full round...

Nice round, JL! I too can brag I shot a 41 on 9 holes...unfortunately I've only done it on a Par 3 course.

It looks like I'll be here for a while, have much more work with my 3w :( Still haven't been able to hit with it in the fairway...I've had lessons with it though and will have more lessons with my 3w.

Woudln't sweat it, GC...3w is a problem club for me too with no happy medium. It's either feast or famine...and even on a "feast" day, it's still only a 180-yard banana shot (at least it's no longer a slice). Keep hacking away (no pun intended).

I'm going to agree with Ken, GC. If you are so far away that you need to 3W that often, I would just cut the distance down into two shots you are comfortable with.

That is awesome TS!!! I think it may be time for you to leave us and join the breaking 90 group.

Woudln't sweat it, GC...3w is a problem club for me too with no happy medium. It's either feast or famine...and even on a "feast" day, it's still only a 180-yard banana shot (at least it's no longer a slice). Keep hacking away (no pun intended).

I'm going to agree with Ken, GC. If you are so far away that you need to 3W that often, I would just cut the distance down into two shots you are comfortable with.

I am going to agree with the guys here as well. One of the things I have learned recently, and it has helped my game is to play smart. If I need to take two comfortable shots to get to the green rather than take a shot with a club I am not all that comfortable with it's better to take the two shots, it ends up working out in my favor.

The other day I had 115 to get over a bunker but not too far behind that bunker was another bunker so I could hit my 6 iron and hope I don't hit it pure or I will be in the back bunker or chunk it and end up in the front bunker or I could play it safe to the right and go 85 yards to nothing but green grass and a safe second shot right to the green....I went safe and saved par. Who knows what would have happened if I just went for it.

Sorry if I worded that wrong...what I meant was that if she keeps at it, it'll eventually work for her. I don't have actual numbers or anything, but I used to only have about a 10% success rate hitting a 3w and would usually avoid even using it whenever possible. I would say right now I'm at about maybe 60-70%...it depends on how I hit with it at the range before a round. If I'm hitting well with it there, I won't be afraid to use it on the course. If I'm struggling with it on the range, I'm more than likely to just use my 3h that day.

Sorry if I worded that wrong...what I meant was that if she keeps at it, it'll eventually work for her. I don't have actual numbers or anything, but I used to only have about a 10% success rate hitting a 3w and would usually avoid even using it whenever possible. I would say right now I'm at about maybe 60-70%...it depends on how I hit with it at the range before a round. If I'm hitting well with it there, I won't be afraid to use it on the course. If I'm struggling with it on the range, I'm more than likely to just use my 3h that day.

I totally agree that practicing with a trouble club will definitely make it better but in the meantime I agree with Hawk that it's alright to take 2 comfortable shots rather than attempting an uncomfortable one. But absolutely, keep practicing it is the only way to improve.

I totally agree that practicing with a trouble club will definitely make it better but in the meantime I agree with Hawk that it's alright to take 2 comfortable shots rather than attempting an uncomfortable one. But absolutely, keep practicing it is the only way to improve.

That is how I am breaking 100. Playing the shots I know I can make 80% of the time. That means the 7 wood gets lots of play, lots of layups if there is any danger about, and lots of hybrid play. Keep it in the fairway at all costs!

I dropped the 3 wood completely. I carry a 4 wood, but I rarely use it anywhere but the tee.

That is how I am breaking 100. Playing the shots I know I can make 80% of the time. That means the 7 wood gets lots of play, lots of layups if there is any danger about, and lots of hybrid play. Keep it in the fairway at all costs!

I dropped the 3 wood completely. I carry a 4 wood, but I rarely use it anywhere but the tee.

During my playing lesson a month ago my instructor was telling me about playing safer to learn course mangament and like you said it has saved my game. Sometimes I get cocky and still try to go for it but when I take a shot I am more comfortable with the outcomes is almost always much better.

From experience of breaking the 80 barrier, I found that not knowing how I was doing helped.

I used to score in my head rather than mark a card but due to this I always knew what I was doing and what I needed to do. I started marking a card instead and tried not to keep track of how I was getting on.........just mark the card and try to forget. Not easy but it can be done. Also do not look at the card later in the round and work out what you need to do to break your target, I can tell you it doesn't work.
Stay in the present, play the hole you are on and not worry about working out what happens if you make a bogey down 16 and Par 17.

Most of all, ENJOY.

OK this is my farewell post. My round today was a sparkling 95! That's 3 sub 100's in a row and today's felt smooth and relaxed. Only missed one fairway with the driver and even hit the 5 wood really well. Still chunked a few, but overall under 100 seems like its here to stay.

My advice (before I go to the breaking 90 forum and feel like an amateur again) is to remember that if you play bogey golf, that will still be way under 100. So don't reach for the long par 4's. Get on in 3 and close to the pin and you will score better than reaching for it in 2. Keep away from the water and the sand- find a distance you know you can hit and try to get the ball there. Doing that I manged to loose ZERO balls in the water the last three rounds and was still on the green looking at a par put. Drive on the fairway, a 120 yard layup, then a full PW or SW over the trouble and onto the green. Worked every time.

Also stay in the fairway. The light chip back into the fairway is usually a much better shot than trying to blast out of the sand or through the forest. And if you can't get a driver on the fairway from the tee use a 3 wood, or 5 wood or whatever will get you at least 150 yards down the middle consistently.

And don't add up the score till the end!

Good luck folks- if I can do it, anyone can!

Congrats TS. I agree big-time with the bolded. It can surely be done. The biggest things for me were limiting duffed shots, pitching/chipping onto the green, and putting better. I still don't hit a bunch of GIR, but I can still get on the green within 3 shots and 2-putt most of the time.

I have to give major, major thanks to amollerud for helping me get my swing in order. He has really helped me so much.

congrats TS!

See ya later TS, congrats on 3 in a row. I hope to be joining you soon as we all do.

Well, I shot a 108 yesterday, but my best round has been a 104. Slowly but surely!! And now I can sort of use my 3w, which will help a lot :)

Congrats TS, well done!

Back from my injury, and my game has really suffered for it. (two month break)
Only had time for two quick 9's, and scored 47 and 50. So breaking 100 should be within reach.

Got 40 mins of lessons tomorrow, and hoping to get rid of my driver slice. It's been really bad lately, to the point where I don't carry either driver or 4w. Been driving with the 3h. A bit depressing, but 4-5 oob teeshots per 9 holes speaks for itself. On the flipside, the 3h has turned into a really reliable club for me. Not that far of the tee, but very good at finding the short stuff.

I'm finally ready to post here.
Just a quick intro, I've started playing a few months ago and have been reading this thread for inspiration and motivation. It's great to read how a lot of others are dealing with the same quest of breaking 100.

Over the past weeks I finally had the chance to play a 18 hole course a couple of times (I normally have to play a par3/short par4 9 hole course).
And after scoring 104,101,101,101 I scored a 99 :D

Congrats TS!!! Like jdjanda said we all hope to see you on the "other side". I feel as a group we are all getting better and that is just awesome!!!

Congrats TS, well done!

Back from my injury, and my game has really suffered for it. (two month break)
Only had time for two quick 9's, and scored 47 and 50. So breaking 100 should be within reach.

Got 40 mins of lessons tomorrow, and hoping to get rid of my driver slice. It's been really bad lately, to the point where I don't carry either driver or 4w. Been driving with the 3h. A bit depressing, but 4-5 oob teeshots per 9 holes speaks for itself. On the flipside, the 3h has turned into a really reliable club for me. Not that far of the tee, but very good at finding the short stuff.

With 9 hole scores like that it definitely seems like breaking 100 won't be much of an issue for you. I hope your lesson goes well :smile:

I'm finally ready to post here.
Just a quick intro, I've started playing a few months ago and have been reading this thread for inspiration and motivation. It's great to read how a lot of others are dealing with the same quest of breaking 100.

Over the past weeks I finally had the chance to play a 18 hole course a couple of times (I normally have to play a par3/short par4 9 hole course).
And after scoring 104,101,101,101 I scored a 99 :D

Wow! Those are great scores especially if you have only been playing a few months and not often on a regulation 18 hole course that's incredible! You should be very proud of your scores, congrats!

Wow! Those are great scores especially if you have only been playing a few months and not often on a regulation 18 hole course that's incredible! You should be very proud of your scores, congrats!

Thanks! I must confess the few times I now have played a 18 hole regulation course are a bit flattered.
I have played the short 9 hole course a lot and have had regular lessons. So I was a bit prepared when I went on the regulation course. And don't forget all the tips in this thread!

Thanks! I must confess the few times I now have played a 18 hole regulation course are a bit flattered.
I have played the short 9 hole course a lot and have had regular lessons. So I was a bit prepared when I went on the regulation course. And don't forget all the tips in this thread!

That is so great! That has to be such an amazing confidence booster for you to know you have already made it through your first milestone on the course. Next is the breaking 90 club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back