Niblick Unboxing & Thread

Ok I bit the bullet and I am now the proud owner of 4 Niblicks and I am going over how to reshape my bag the next time I play to put all of them into play. I expect to play next weekend and will keep you all posted of how this little experiment goes. :banana:

Wow, what do you plan to pull for the 49* and 56*? Congrats by the way.

Wow, what do you plan to pull for the 49* and 56*? Congrats by the way.

What do you mean? What is comming out of the bag? Well the 56* was already there before the purchase. I need to figure a few things out.. I might still buy a couple of irons thru e-bay tonight. This is a work in progress but when i am done I will be done for a while!!

( yea right does anyone believe that one? )

What do you mean? What is comming out of the bag? Well the 56* was already there before the purchase. I need to figure a few things out.. I might still buy a couple of irons thru e-bay tonight. This is a work in progress but when i am done I will be done for a while!!

( yea right does anyone believe that one? )

I try to keep my bag at 14, so if I buy something new I have to pull something. I have the 42* Niblick and was able to pull a 9 iron to make room. If I were to get the 49* I'm not sure what I will do. It should come out as a gap wedge for me. I'm not too interested in the 56* or the 37* or what ever the other is.

Oh I see... well my thought was to keep the "top of the bag" in tact with Driver, the three woods and the hybrid, maybe 5-7 in irons( or 6-9) and then the 4 niblcks with a PW and Putter that puts me at 14, I might go with 2 irons and add a 5 hybrid or yet another wedge( short game is my problem. I am gonna fix it) not sure yet. gotta see distances I hit these new clubs.

From that distance, is it better to use less loft like the 42 or 49 than the 56? What has been your experience in the difference between the 42, 49 and 56 in terms of chipping 10 -15 feet from the green?

There are as JB noted, a lot of variables to consider. But for me, the lower the loft on the Niblick, the easier it is to get in the air and going straight on a short chip. So to me the 42 is the easiest to hit. Of course, the lower the loft, the more the chip shot will roll. I think that it's easier to roll to a pin than fly there through the air. So basically, unless you need to stop the chip from rolling once it hits the green, I like the 42* Niblick.

2Left, this is what you show in your bag: Wedges: Cobra S9-II PW/Niblick 42*; Niblick 49*; Ping iWedge 56*; Cleveland 588RS. I was curious how the Ping iWedge 56 played. I have an all Ping bag and currently using the PW, SW that came with my Rapture irons. How is the iWedge 56 play compared to the Niblicks? Are the Niblicks a heavier wedge, more forgiving that the Ping? Any reason why you did not get the Niblick 56" ? Thanks

Someone mentioned to me there are videos are your site regarding Niblick and videos. I cannot find them.

Someone mentioned to me there are videos are your site regarding Niblick and videos. I cannot find them.

There are not. There are 2 different reviews of the models and we will do videos at some point here, but there are not as of now.

Ive found in my limited time with it so far, the 56* Niblick to be very very easy to hit. Cant wait to put it in action this season.

2. Use it like a normal sand shot. No need to open up the club face (you really cant) and play it just like you would for your normal sand shot. If you struggle with this, look at our home page and view the video on the top right hand corner called THP TV. This produces a huge amount of spin and works flawlessly as well. The extra weight and bounce slide through the sand easier than most wedges and the result is a high arcing, soft landing, ball that spins a LOT.

I was referring to this post about THP TV. Can you point be in the right place to view this?

2. Use it like a normal sand shot. No need to open up the club face (you really cant) and play it just like you would for your normal sand shot. If you struggle with this, look at our home page and view the video on the top right hand corner called THP TV. This produces a huge amount of spin and works flawlessly as well. The extra weight and bounce slide through the sand easier than most wedges and the result is a high arcing, soft landing, ball that spins a LOT.

I was referring to this post about THP TV. Can you point be in the right place to view this?

This video is about pitching and chipping in general, and does not use a Niblick. It is done by our THP Teaching Pro.

The Hackers Paradise Volume 1

This was from a prior post. Can someone comment about this?
Great review! You wrote that chipping with the 49* Niblick is good, but a bit tougher than with the lower lofted models. I love chipping with the 42*, but it runs out too much. I thought the 49* would be perfect for chipping a bit higher and for a softer landing. Am I right in thinking that you would recommend the 42* for those that will use the niblick primarily for chipping?

Administrator says:
December 20, 2009 at 1:27 pm
Ryan,
you will see less runout based on height. You could also look at the 56* as we found it more versatile than that of the 49

What makes the 56" more versatile than the 49"? Since the loft is higher would'nt it make it harder to chip with?
Thanks

Great review! You wrote that chipping with the 49* Niblick is good, but a bit tougher than with the lower lofted models. I love chipping with the 42*, but it runs out too much. I thought the 49* would be perfect for chipping a bit higher and for a softer landing. Am I right in thinking that you would recommend the 42* for those that will use the niblick primarily for chipping?

Administrator says:
Ryan,
you will see less runout based on height. You could also look at the 56* as we found it more versatile than that of the 49

What makes the 56" more versatile than the 49"? Since the loft is higher would'nt it make it harder to chip with?
Thanks

It can make it harder to chip with in theory, but we did not see any issues with it. The heavy club produces great weighting through the shot, making them all very similar. More height will mean less run out of course.

One of my 'fears' from the THP golf outing is that everyone is going to have all sorts of different clubs that I'm going to want to try or play around with and then I'll end up wanting them all. Especially the Niblick :banghead:

JB, if I get put into to a foursome where everyone has a Niblick but me and I fall in love with the club because of that then we're going to need to talk :starwars:

Administrator says:
Ryan,

Thanks

What are you looking for or looking to help your game with a Niblick? I got the 42* Niblick to get a little more consistency out of my chipping. Taking lessons or reading in magazines one says use an 8 iron, one says use a 9 iron and the other will say use the PW. Now I use my Niblick. All the time. I find the 42* to be excellent just off the green and on the fringe. Shots where you are looking to pitch and run to the hole. Where I ran into some trouble was a little further out, maybe 25-50 yards I kept flying the green. This is where Im looking to the 56* for help. It has a bigger face and more loft so if should be great from this distance. Also I think it will be better around the green for flop type shots that I need to land short and soft. I have yet to use it in the sand but I think it will be good from the sand too! just my .02!

:clapp:
What are you looking for or looking to help your game with a Niblick? I got the 42* Niblick to get a little more consistency out of my chipping. Taking lessons or reading in magazines one says use an 8 iron, one says use a 9 iron and the other will say use the PW. Now I use my Niblick. All the time. I find the 42* to be excellent just off the green and on the fringe. Shots where you are looking to pitch and run to the hole. Where I ran into some trouble was a little further out, maybe 25-50 yards I kept flying the green. This is where Im looking to the 56* for help. It has a bigger face and more loft so if should be great from this distance. Also I think it will be better around the green for flop type shots that I need to land short and soft. I have yet to use it in the sand but I think it will be good from the sand too! just my .02!

That is EXACTLY what I use mine for....I had trouble with my regular wedges getting them to do this....and bought the niblick hoping that the xtra weight would help and it does.......great club for what you described above in bold.....

:clapp:

That is EXACTLY what I use mine for....I had trouble with my regular wedges getting them to do this....and bought the niblick hoping that the xtra weight would help and it does.......great club for what you described above in bold.....

Have you tried it out of sand yet? Ive only been able to hit the 56* at the range, curious to try it in the sand.

Have you tried it out of sand yet? Ive only been able to hit the 56* at the range, curious to try it in the sand.

I actually haven't used it from the sand.....I use my 58* cg15 out of the sand.....

2Left, this is what you show in your bag: Wedges: Cobra S9-II PW/Niblick 42*; Niblick 49*; Ping iWedge 56*; Cleveland 588RS. I was curious how the Ping iWedge 56 played. I have an all Ping bag and currently using the PW, SW that came with my Rapture irons. How is the iWedge 56 play compared to the Niblicks? Are the Niblicks a heavier wedge, more forgiving that the Ping? Any reason why you did not get the Niblick 56" ? Thanks

I really like the iWedge 56* out of the sand. It has a concave sole, instead of a convex sole you see in most irons. The marketing literature says the concave sole helps the leading edge get quickly into the sand or rough, while the bounce on the trailing edge helps the exit. Seems to work for me. I also like it over a 56* Niblick because I can swing it with the face wide open or closed shut.

I actually got myself the 56* Niblick, but I'm benching it for now. Primarily, I couldn't figure it out from the sand, so I would still need the iWedge. I'm sure it was a technique issue with the 56*, but I found myself fiddling with different clubs too much and decided to settle in on a bag. The weighting of the 56* Niblick does make it easier for me to chip and pitch with than the iWedge. But two other clubs make the 56* Niblick expendable for me right now. First, the 49* Niblick really provides almost all the loft I need, and is easy to control distance on short shots. If I really need to hit it high, I have my Cleveland 588RS, which has a 60* loft. It's probably just because the 588RS has been with me for a while, but I can hit as consistently as the 56* Niblick.

Last edited:
I really like the iWedge 56* out of the sand. It has a concave sole, instead of a convex sole you see in most irons. The marketing literature says the concave sole helps the leading edge get quickly into the sand or rough, while the bounce on the trailing edge helps the exit. Seems to work for me. I also like it over a 56* Niblick because I can swing it with the face wide open or closed shut.

I actually got myself the 56* Niblick, but I'm benching it for now. Primarily, I couldn't figure it out from the sand, so I would still need the iWedge. I'm sure it was a technique issue with the 56*, but I found myself fiddling with different clubs too much and decided to settle in on a bag. The weighting of the 56* Niblick does make it easier for me to chip and pitch with than the iWedge. But two other clubs make the 56* Niblick expendable for me right now. First, the 49* Niblick really provides almost all the loft I need, and is easy to control distance on short shots. If I really need to hit it high, I have my Cleveland 588RS, which has a 60* loft. It's probably just because the 588RS has been with me for a while, but I can hit as consistently as the 56* Niblick.

2left-Your comment could be mine. I had the same situation w/ the 56*,have benched it but continue to carry the 49* as a gap wedge.

I will not be able to try a niblick before I buy one so I thought I would get your opinion first. I am trying to decide whether to get the 42 or 49 niblick. I am going to get the 56 for sure but undecided on the 42 or 49. I am looking for a wedge that allows be first to be able to bump and run chip shots off the green. I heard several people had problems with hitting way past the hole when using the 42 loft. Is that typical? I heard others say that the 49 loft was too lofted for chips off the green (no bump and run). Is that true? I tend to leave a lot of my chip shots short and was wondering if the 42 would help me better than the 49. Would the extra loft give me more forgiveness? Need someone who has played with the 42 and 49 to share their experiences when hitting chips 10 feet from the fringe of the green. Thanks for your help! I really want this season to be my season for improving my wedge play. If you opted to get rid of your 42 and replaced it with 49, can you tell me why?

Last edited:
Question for the rest of you Niblick freaks out there: does anyone know the actual headweights of the four Niblick models?

Question for the rest of you Niblick freaks out there: does anyone know the actual headweights of the four Niblick models?

I do not, but it is not the overall weight for me, it is more of where the weight is. Just my thoughts though.

I do not, but it is not the overall weight for me, it is more of where the weight is. Just my thoughts though.

Don't disagree, but the reason I asked is that it might help some people wrap their minds around the whole Niblick concept. I'm guessing that since Niblicks feel a bit heavier than "normal" wedges, they probably come in closer to a putter's headweight. (Scotty Cameron Newport's, for example, weight in between 340 and 360g.) If I'm correct, I'm thinking that if people take this into account, this might help that excess runout problem they seem to have on bump-and-runs--i.e., heavier weight = more force at impact.

Just a thought.

Don't disagree, but the reason I asked is that it might help some people wrap their minds around the whole Niblick concept. I'm guessing that since Niblicks feel a bit heavier than "normal" wedges, they probably come in closer to a putter's headweight. (Scotty Cameron Newport's, for example, weight in between 340 and 360g.) If I'm correct, I'm thinking that if people take this into account, this might help that excess runout problem they seem to have on bump-and-runs--i.e., heavier weight = more force at impact.

Just a thought.

I believe you are right. I think the weight is similar to that of a putter.

Back