Niblick Unboxing & Thread

Don't disagree, but the reason I asked is that it might help some people wrap their minds around the whole Niblick concept. I'm guessing that since Niblicks feel a bit heavier than "normal" wedges, they probably come in closer to a putter's headweight. (Scotty Cameron Newport's, for example, weight in between 340 and 360g.) If I'm correct, I'm thinking that if people take this into account, this might help that excess runout problem they seem to have on bump-and-runs--i.e., heavier weight = more force at impact.

Just a thought.

This is just speculation, but I think the problem with unexpected distance on the 37* and 42* might be the position of the flange extension on those models. On the 37* and 42*, the flange extends from above the sole of the club -- right behind the impact spot. The 56* does not have a separate extended flange and has a typical broad SGI sole. The primary soles of the 37* and 42*are actually no broader than your average equivalent iron. I think the elevated flange extension on those models is what makes them so easy to hit straight, while perhaps also adding to the difficulty in controlling distance on partial shots.

I will not be able to try a niblick before I buy one so I thought I would get your opinion first. I am trying to decide whether to get the 42 or 49 niblick. I am going to get the 56 for sure but undecided on the 42 or 49. I am looking for a wedge that allows be first to be able to bump and run chip shots off the green. I heard several people had problems with hitting way past the hole when using the 42 loft. Is that typical? I heard others say that the 49 loft was too lofted for chips off the green (no bump and run). Is that true? I tend to leave a lot of my chip shots short and was wondering if the 42 would help me better than the 49. Would the extra loft give me more forgiveness? Need someone who has played with the 42 and 49 to share their experiences when hitting chips 10 feet from the fringe of the green. Thanks for your help! I really want this season to be my season for improving my wedge play. If you opted to get rid of your 42 and replaced it with 49, can you tell me why?

If you have a lot of trouble from right around the green, I'd first try the 42. If you're 10' from the green, you'll be fine if you have another 20' to the hole. Roll:air ratios will differ according to technique, but I think for high handicappers you can expect somewhere around 2:1 with the 42 from that distance. The farther you get from the green, the more the roll:air ratio will decrease, and vice-versa.

For me at least, the 42 is easier to get in the air and flying straight than the 49. I also think it is easier to work with from both rough and hardpan. The 42 will definitely need more room to roll than the 49 on those medium distance pitch shots, but if you have a clear path to the green you can always play it like a bump and run, which I think is a good thing for people with our handicaps to learn rather than trying to always land one close to the hole. When I have a difficult angle of approach, I'll often use the 42 and hit it to a safe spot rather than try to attack the pin with the 49.

Last edited:
I did have some trouble controlling the 42* but I think it all boils down to practice, practice, practice. Once you get used to the Niblick its your go to club around the green! Just gotta get used to it. And I think someone hit on the head talking about the weight and how much roll you get from it.

Help me decide

Help me decide

:banghead:Looking for more imput on which Niblick is easier to chip with.

1. Do you think the 42, 49 or 56 is the easiest to chip with just off the green?

2. If you were me would you buy the 49 and 56? or the 42 and 56?

3. Does the 42 loft cause more hits past the hole than the 49? If yes, did you opt for the 49 loft because of that?

4. General comments about these lofts that would help me decide would be appreciated :act-up:

Since I do not have a place to check them out before I buy, I am looking for those who have used them in actual play.

:banghead:Looking for more imput on which Niblick is easier to chip with.

1. Do you think the 42, 49 or 56 is the easiest to chip with just off the green?

2. If you were me would you buy the 49 and 56? or the 42 and 56?

3. Does the 42 loft cause more hits past the hole than the 49? If yes, did you opt for the 49 loft because of that?

4. General comments about these lofts that would help me decide would be appreciated :act-up:

Since I do not have a place to check them out before I buy, I am looking for those who have used them in actual play.

We have merged this with the Niblick thread. Let me see if I can answer it.

1. I think they are all equally easy to chip with depending on where you are off the green.

2. If buying 2, I would prefer a 42 and 56 as they offer more differences.

3. Less loft will usually cause more run out by nature, so the 49* will move less.

4. I have liked every single one of them, however prefer the 56* as my favorite due to its versatility. But that is strictly my preference.

If buying 2, I would prefer a 42 and 56 as they offer more differences.

I have liked every single one of them, however prefer the 56* as my favorite due to its versatility. But that is strictly my preference.
+1

I'm playing the 42 and the 56. The 42 is my approach club of choice: I use it anywhere from 110 in. When I get inside 30ish, I'll use the 56, unless it's a long bump and run with plenty of room to roll. Although I'm just getting used to it after a long winter off, I'm more and more starting to favor the 56 as my primary greenside club. High loft gives a ham-fisted guy like me the ability to go at it a little more aggressively without worrying about whacking it too far past the hole.

How to hit a niblick?

How to hit a niblick?

When using the 42 loft niblick as a full stroke, do I hit it has I would my normal PW?

When pitching closer to the green, do I stroke it like a putting stroke?

Does the same stroke method apply to the 56 loft in both situations?

Last edited:
i hated my 42 original niblick are the higher lofts any beter

i hated my 42 original niblick are the higher lofts any beter

You would have to be more specific about what you did not like about it.

Can the niblick's lie be adjusted?
I am 5' 3" and I have a 56* niblick.
I have not brought the club out to the course but I have hit balls at the range.
The hosel seems to be digging too much into the mat and I catching the ball towards the heel.
Alternatively, I could cut 1" off the shaft.
Any thoughts about that?

Last edited:
Can the niblick's lie be adjusted?
I am 5' 3" and I have a 56* niblick.
I have not brought the club out to the course but I have hit balls at the range.
The hosel seems to be digging too much into the mat and I catching the ball towards the heel.
Alternatively, I could cut 1" off the shaft.
Any thoughts about that?

Cleveland won't adjust the lie -- says the club is too prone to breaking. I am 5'4", and cut 1/2" off. I also choke up a bit on most shots. The key is to use the Niblick more upright, closer to how you'd use a putter.

Thanks 2left.
I choke up on the club too.
Would a cut of 1/2" make enough of a difference to the lie?
I figure that I won't be doing many full swings on the club and I can cut off a little more.
What do you think?

bogey_free - I think it depends on where your hands grip the shaft and personal preference. You could shorten the shaft all the way up to where your hands lie. I actually like to choke up a bit on some clubs, rather than shorten them until I grip all the way at the butt. This makes the grip circumference smaller and lessens the swingweight because of the counterbalancing effect of the butt end of the club sticking out behind my hands. I'm not sure I wouldn't have been happier if I never shortened my Niblicks at all.

would love to get a 56degree.

bit too pricey for me though..
can buy from the UK at about €100 (incl postage),
but the Golf companies in Ireland have the nerve to charge €138.

christ, €138 = $188.

2left - I know what you mean. I usually choke up on my wedges. I just don't want too much of the butt sticking out. I just cut off 3/4". Will see how it works out. Thanks.

Well I went and did it, put all 4 niblicks in my bag. I thought I was a little nutty at first but I can report after my first round on the course with this new set-up (4 niblicks, a PW and only 3 irons) I could not be more pleased and happy. The confidence I always had with the 42* has moved to the 37* and the 49* (the new additions) I was even hitting the 56* fairly decent (it has been my nemesis anywhere outside of sand. I think I am finally done tinkering with my bag and I am going to run with this set-up for at least the summer and see what happens. I of course will keep you all informed.

Nice job WR! You need to change your scren name to Mr. Niblick :clapp:

White Rhino - I notice you're still bagging a 46* CG15. Is this to split the gap between the 42* and 49* Niblicks? The 7* differences between the 42*, 49* and 56* are pretty big.

btw - isn't it great to know that next time you replace your irons, instead of spending $800 for a full set you can just order three individual clubs? :)

Last edited:
Hey Rhino, can you give us a rundown of your yardages? how are the gaps working out?

White Rhino - I notice you're still bagging a 46* CG15. Is this to split the gap between the 42* and 49* Niblicks? The 7* differences between the 42*, 49* and 56* are pretty big.

I left the 46* in for now as the 14th club just for some shots I still can't get with the niblicks. I really do not use it much during the round

btw - isn't it great to know that next time you replace your irons, instead of spending $800 for a full set you can just order three individual clubs? :)

Yea that is a good thing but I don't see myself buying any more clubs anytime soon

Hey Rhino, can you give us a rundown of your yardages? how are the gaps working out?

I have only played on the course once with all of them but roughly:

37* - 125 - 135yds
42* - 115 - 125yds
49* - 105 - 115yds
56* - Use it out of sand for now and an occasional 40-50yd shot

No worries about the gap I am very comfortable with what is in the bag.

Moving forward I will tune this up more with more playing time and let everyone know how it is going

I golfed yesterday by myself and played 2 - 3 balls per hole. Bought a CG15 56* and a Niblick 49* Loved them both.

The CG15 played great out of the sand, back spin from the fairway, great out of the rough.

Used the Niblick primarily for chipping but did side by side with the CG15 from a few rough and fairway shots. It was like chipping with a putter just off the green. Very accurate and effortless.

Was getting my ball closer to the pin with both clubs. Felt like I was playing darts.

Thanks THP and all who reviewed both these clubs.

just recieved my niblick 56* today, :D
Im happy.

looking out the window, its shockin wet and miserable, :(
Im sad.

ah well, cant wait to get trying out this club properly, hope to replace the lob wedge/gap wedge with one club, will see how that works. :)

Bought the 42*.
I was torn between the 42* and the 49*. I am going to use this primarily from 30 yards and in. I hit high wedges that land soft so I do not have a need for full shots with the niblick; but sometimes, for the touchy shots, I will blade or chunk them so I am hoping this club will help.

My first impression (practice green) was no big deal. I usually chip with a 7-PW and I saw no real advantage with this club. It did go a little straigther but that was about it.
But, like others, on the practice green or driving range, I hit like a pro. Rarely do I miss-hit anything. But taking that to the course is a different story. I was going to return it, but it now has too many marks on the face. So I figured I'd try it on the course.

In fact, I really like chipping/pitching with a 60* wedge because I have a habit of shooting for the pin. Usually on long chips, I roll it way past the hole because of this habit. With a 60*, I can aim for the pin and it will stop right at the hole... if I hit it properly.

Course play: I only needed the club on the 18th. I was playing two balls (nobody behind me) and had two chip shots from about 20 yards and a right to left break.
I put both shots within 2 feet of the cup.

I'm keeping this club.

Back