Niblick Unboxing & Thread

Thats what I keep coming to. My go to when close is the 56* CG14, even to the point of delofting it for a pitch and run or can go with an 8 iron and pitch it up there. It just seem's I miss too often short sided and the weight of a Niblick would possibly inhibit my ability to loft high enough on a soft short shot? If that makes sense.

From 125 to 130 yards out the 42* Niblick is money to me. I love that club.

Ditto Ditto Ditto :eek:) Exactly my thoughts.

I would think the 42* niblick's penetrating ball flight, yet soft landing from the fairway would be a great option for Cocopoppyhead who plays in all that wind. The ball lands so softly it's a no brainer for faster greens from that distance.

I would think the 42* niblick's penetrating ball flight, yet soft landing from the fairway would be a great option for Cocopoppyhead who plays in all that wind. The ball lands so softly it's a no brainer for faster greens from that distance.

something to keep in mind :D

Great wind club

Great wind club

You would love the 42 Coco. Sweet little knock down club for sure :D

I'm looking for a club to help me 50 yards and in,and something for greenside rough.I'm good out of the sand,so that's not a big concern.Would the 56* be a club I should look at?

I'm looking for a club to help me 50 yards and in,and something for greenside rough.I'm good out of the sand,so that's not a big concern.Would the 56* be a club I should look at?

It could very well be the perfect club for those situations. A niblick in general could really help with this, not sure on which one though. The 49* could be extremely strong as well. It really depends on what type of shot you want to play with it. Full swing? Pitch, etc.....

It could very well be the perfect club for those situations. A niblick in general could really help with this, not sure on which one though. The 49* could be extremely strong as well. It really depends on what type of shot you want to play with it. Full swing? Pitch, etc.....

I have problems with less than a full swing,I always seem to come up short for some reason.The ball in the greenside rough kills me,I just can't swing with any confidence.If I use the 56* with the putting stroke,will that pop it out of the fringe and get it to the hole,or would the 49* be better for that.I hope I'm explaining it the right way.

I have problems with less than a full swing,I always seem to come up short for some reason.The ball in the greenside rough kills me,I just can't swing with any confidence.If I use the 56* with the putting stroke,will that pop it out of the fringe and get it to the hole,or would the 49* be better for that.I hope I'm explaining it the right way.
Given the problem you describe, I would consider the 56*. It's got enough loft that you can swing harder without too much concern about it getting away from you. Just make sure you hold the leading wrist firm through impact.

Some quick first impressions on the 56. I already own the 42 and 49, so I sort of knew what to expect in terms of feel. As others posted, the 56 flew noticably shorter than my 56* iWedge, maybe 5 - 10 yards. Could present a big gap for people playing a 49* or 50* GW, or the 49 Niblick. Like the 49, it is a breeze to pitch with as the heavy weight and good balance bottom out on your swing. It's been raining in LA, so right now the rough can be pretty lush. One difficult situation that it excelled in for me was a short pitch out of 2"-3" high rough about 35 feet from the hole (I shoot around 100). Popped ball after ball onto the green in reasonable proximity. But when I tried this in thicker rough about 4"-5" high, I had a lot of trouble. I did a lot better with my Cleveland 588RS, maybe because I could open the club face and get in hosel-first, which I couldn't figure out how to do with the more squared-off Niblick. What club are others keeping in their bags to deal with this?

I also couldn't figure the 56 out from the sand. Despite my grotesque handicap, I don't have many problems with bunkers once I got my 56* iWedge. I tried both chipping with the 56 Niblick and taking a normal bunker swing. In both cases, I don't think I even got a 45* launch angle on the ball when swinging hard enough to go about 15 feet. I don't think I could clear a 4' lip from 6' away. I could get it up higher if I swung harder, but then the ball would fly too far. And when I tried the 56 NIblick off of hard sand in a damp bunker, I couldn't control it at all. Maybe I was coming in too steep, I dunno. I see posts from a lot of people that can do all these shots with ease with the 56, but also notice they shoot in the 70s or 80s. But since Niblicks are hackers' tools, I figure it must be something basic with my technique. I'll be spending much more time with this club in the next few weeks.

Some quick first impressions on the 56. I already own the 42 and 49, so I sort of knew what to expect in terms of feel. As others posted, the 56 flew noticably shorter than my 56* iWedge, maybe 5 - 10 yards. Could present a big gap for people playing a 49* or 50* GW, or the 49 Niblick. Like the 49, it is a breeze to pitch with as the heavy weight and good balance bottom out on your swing. It's been raining in LA, so right now the rough can be pretty lush. One difficult situation that it excelled in for me was a short pitch out of 2"-3" high rough about 35 feet from the hole (I shoot around 100). Popped ball after ball onto the green in reasonable proximity. But when I tried this in thicker rough about 4"-5" high, I had a lot of trouble. I did a lot better with my Cleveland 588RS, maybe because I could open the club face and get in hosel-first, which I couldn't figure out how to do with the more squared-off Niblick. What club are others keeping in their bags to deal with this?

I also couldn't figure the 56 out from the sand. Despite my grotesque handicap, I don't have many problems with bunkers once I got my 56* iWedge. I tried both chipping with the 56 Niblick and taking a normal bunker swing. In both cases, I don't think I even got a 45* launch angle on the ball when swinging hard enough to go about 15 feet. I don't think I could clear a 4' lip from 6' away. I could get it up higher if I swung harder, but then the ball would fly too far. And when I tried the 56 NIblick off of hard sand in a damp bunker, I couldn't control it at all. Maybe I was coming in too steep, I dunno. I see posts from a lot of people that can do all these shots with ease with the 56, but also notice they shoot in the 70s or 80s. But since Niblicks are hackers' tools, I figure it must be something basic with my technique. I'll be spending much more time with this club in the next few weeks.

I am the same handicap as you and just ordered the 56* niblick last week...should be here tomorrow......what did you think about using the 56* niblick from 50 yds and in? I have trouble with my 58* cleveland cg15 wedge, but do great with it out of the fairway.....just wanted your opinions.

I am the same handicap as you and just ordered the 56* niblick last week...should be here tomorrow......what did you think about using the 56* niblick from 50 yds and in? I have trouble with my 58* cleveland cg15 wedge, but do great with it out of the fairway.....just wanted your opinions.

Great for chips and pitch shots when you want minimal roll from inside 50 yards. The feel will be a lot different from the CG15, though, so give yourself some time to get used to it.

:eek:fftopic: I see you are in LA. it might be a bit late but a bunch of us SoCal people are getting together for a round of golf this Saturday. If you can't make it I understand, keep in touch as there will be other outings if interested.

:eek:fftopic: I see you are in LA. it might be a bit late but a bunch of us SoCal people are getting together for a round of golf this Saturday. If you can't make it I understand, keep in touch as there will be other outings if interested.

i was going to ask him but i didn't know if we would have time to fit him in

Sooooooo, my 49* came in today and I played with it in the backyard in the beautiful 35* weather for a while....

I can do nothing but hit is straight...which is good! No skulls etc. in about 50 chips and pitches.

Only dislike was the same I had with the 42* I've got...the shaft. So, the 49* is following suit of the 42* and is now sitting in the corner curing with a nice shiny FST Hi-Rev wedge shaft and Black/Blue Iomic X...my preferred wedge setup anyways! So sweet! Pics will follow tomorrow for those who care to see it!

J

Sure we want to see it. Can't wait.

Given the problem you describe, I would consider the 56*. It's got enough loft that you can swing harder without too much concern about it getting away from you. Just make sure you hold the leading wrist firm through impact.

Thanks Stryper...I just ordered a 56* on your advice over the 49*.Getting feedback from the THP family is great especially when your on the fence like I was.I won't have a chance to hit it on the course for a while,just got 22" of snow Wed.,but I'll let you know down the road how it goes.I'll be hitting the driving range in the mean time to get used to it a little.....as long as the heaters are on full blast!

Sooooooooo...I promise pictures still, tomorrow I swear.

But for now...

It hit 60 today in Oklahoma! So naturally I hit up the links. First things first, I figured out obviously that I'm rusty as hell (duh) and barely broke 90 (sheesh). Back on topic though...the Niblicks...in a word...

:joy::joy::twist::twist::joy::joy:

WOW.

I obviously haven't gotten my distances down with them yet (hit 20 range balls and went out to play lol, talk about a trial by fire) but they really did save me strokes, I even holed out from 85 with my 42* HAHA! These are awesome and I feel truly sorry for those that are too proud to at least try them before judging.

Again, to recap, pics of my two with the FST Hi-Rev's and Iomics tomorrow and WOW.

That is all!

J

Good job jman. Pretty cool holing out from 85, sounds like a good time.

Good job jman. Pretty cool holing out from 85, sounds like a good time.

Yeah, golfing this time of year was cool enough, that shot made my day though...and it was on 18 haha. Haven't had a shot like that since I started seriously playing (about a year now)...oh so awesome.

Well mine finally arrived, and I had a chance to use it......I love it to say the least, i mostly used it around the putting and chipping green this weekend....I will be using it more this weekend as I am golfing friday and saturday......but around the green this WILL be my go to club.....like I was wondering the extra weight that is in the head of the club makes it easier for me to not "skull" the ball like my cleveland cg15.....so i'll be using it for around the green and my cg15 for out of the bunker......Thanks cleveland for a great product!

Well mine finally arrived, and I had a chance to use it......I love it to say the least, i mostly used it around the putting and chipping green this weekend....I will be using it more this weekend as I am golfing friday and saturday......but around the green this WILL be my go to club.....like I was wondering the extra weight that is in the head of the club makes it easier for me to not "skull" the ball like my cleveland cg15.....so i'll be using it for around the green and my cg15 for out of the bunker......Thanks cleveland for a great product!

I feel ya!

With some practice I really think I'll get pretty deadly with mine. The 42/49 combo was the right one for me! (Not to say a 56 wont appear once I find a used one lol)

I am a great fan of the concept - love my 32 and 29, but remain fascinated and somewhat incredulous that a high handicapper can get out of a bunker with a putting stroke, if that is what is meant by the Niblick stroke.

Is this from real greenside buners with 6 - 8 foot lips?

If this is true, I will go out tomorrow and buy one.

I am a great fan of the concept - love my 32 and 29, but remain fascinated and somewhat incredulous that a high handicapper can get out of a bunker with a putting stroke, if that is what is meant by the Niblick stroke.

Is this from real greenside buners with 6 - 8 foot lips?

If this is true, I will go out tomorrow and buy one.

First off, welcome to THP. Second, there are many types of bunkers and we had no issues getting out of them with a chip like stroke after some practice.

However if you believe that the "average" lip on a bunker is 6-8 feet, I have some land to sell. According to golf data tech, the average lip on golf course bunkers is barely 34 inches.

Haha, yeah, I was reading that thinking DANG that bunker would be as tall if not taller than me! lol

Back