Taylormade XFT Wedge

Any particular reason they go there first? My guess would be for additional feedback but I would also think that by that stage of the development all kinks/bugs/design flaws should have been worked out.

It is just something that is done once in a while with select equipment and apparel collections. Most of the time it involves certain teachers or large fitting accounts.

JB,

Also, is there any way we can find out if TM has sent them to any of the green stores in our area or do we have to wait until Feb for the general release?

You can contact TM customer service, but when we did, they said "Release for the club is Feb".

Most of the time it does not involve releasing equipment to pro shops first. It involves a pre release of sorts similar to this one. The Penta was planned for this very same thing, however the extreme demand changed things and had them open it up to southern stores in limited quantities.

We have heard that a few local pro shops have these in stock now. Just in the 56*.

Info on Taylor Made xFT wedge with replaceable face?!?!?

Info on Taylor Made xFT wedge with replaceable face?!?!?

Anyone know when these are coming out? What do the faces look like? I think they are really onto something here, since you'll never need to buy a new wedge ever again (theoretically).

I remember it being mentioned that these would be out in Feb.

the "never needing to buy a whole new wedge" factor is overrated in my opinion

you'll "never need to buy a whole new wedge" is only as good for as long as you can purchase replacement faces (unless you stock up)

I doubt future TM faces would be backwards compatible with older wedges. If this turns out to be a flop, TM may cease making replaceable face wedges

what I've seen is that these wedges are about $129, and a second face would be $39 more... so for two wedges you're out $168 (and to be fair, by the time you've worn out a face, I'm sure you've worn out the grip too so it's more like $175)

you could buy many top line wedges for $100 ea, so buying a TM XFT and a face doesn't really save you much money at all

I applaud TM for trying to bring new innovations to market, but when you really sit down and think about it, the economics don't make the case for this wedge over it's competition, but hopefully it's performance does.

Valid point. My impression is that TM is banking on people replacing their faces twice a year and not the two or three years most typically wait. So most wont wait until a wedge is completly worn out and would be more concerned with fresh grooves several times a year and probably wont be concerned about the additional cost.

It is totally ingenious of them ... just like the ol' shaver trick. Buy a Mach III razor for cheap, but then spend $15 to get 8 replacement blades you go through every 3 weeks or so. I personally don't play enough to wear out grooves every year, so for me, knowing that I only need to spend about $60 every 2-3 years for essentially a new wedge seems like a deal.

I wouldn't want the "features" in a feel club...making a design like that while clever has to include comprimises for the designer that they wouldn't face with a fixed face wedge...not for me...

Reactions: JB
I wouldn't want the "features" in a feel club...making a design like that while clever has to include comprimises for the designer that they wouldn't face with a fixed face wedge...not for me...

Have you tried one?

I havent, but from what i have heard they dont seem to compromise this. I too am scheptical....but to say it isnt for me before trying it doesnt really make sense in my opinion. At least give it a chance :act-up:

Have you tried one?

I havent, but from what i have heard they dont seem to compromise this. I too am scheptical....but to say it isnt for me before trying it doesnt really make sense in my opinion. At least give it a chance :act-up:

Having reviewed this club I can tell you that it did NOT change the feel one bit. In fact the insert they used made the wedge feel softer than that of the Rac we compared it to and certainly more than the Vokey I played previously.

As we pointed out in our review, it will not be for everybody, but the public that has tried them seems to be really enjoying it.

Actually I can't wait to try one...haven't even seen one down here, don't know if they've been released here...I gave adjustable putters a try...there isn't much more of a feel club out there than a putter...skeptical, but I try everything I can...

There's a listing on Ebay for $109 for this wedge. Anyone seen them being sold elsewhere?

They are popping up at green grass stores in the south.

Saw these in the local golf store the other day, they look sharp! I was suprised to see a teeny-wheeny gap between one edge of the faceplate and the clubhead. I wondered if dirt/mud/water could get in there and make for a fun cleanup...

Having reviewed this club I can tell you that it did NOT change the feel one bit. In fact the insert they used made the wedge feel softer than that of the Rac we compared it to and certainly more than the Vokey I played previously.

As we pointed out in our review, it will not be for everybody, but the public that has tried them seems to be really enjoying it.

JB -

Do you think there is a small cushion of air between the backing and the back of the face plate? Wouldn't that make the feel softer?

I really dont think there is Dent. But there is a pad there that would give them a softer feeling in my mind.

JB, you may have answered this question already, but in an unbiased comparison to vokeys, what is the feel and trajectory like? i currently play the z tp wedges and am either going to vokey c.c's, 200's or these with the modified u grooves because i generate too much spin for my liking on approach shots. also, is it any harder to get these with the u grooved faces vs. the normal "spin milled"/square grooved that most people will want. thanks for the help

Trajectory is very similar to that of the ZTP wedges. They perform very similarly. The only difference between these and the previous model in performance is that they feel softer to me.

JB (or any others who have tried the wedge),

How big is the face? I found the Eidolon face a little small, and not confidence-inspiring. That prompted to ask the board about the Vokey because the face was huge in comparison and I felt like I couldn't miss the ball!

DM

It is about the same size as the last 3-4 versions of the TM wedges. If you like their style and shape, you will like these.

Hola

Hola

Would there be a problem with corrosion between the plate and the club?

Do you have to take the face off after every round to clean the area?

Would there be a problem with corrosion between the plate and the club?

Do you have to take the face off after every round to clean the area?

None at all and no. In our review on the home page you can see that most will notice absolutely no difference between the two. There is barely a visible line.

I tried this out at the E Watts store in Orlando last weekend. They had about a dozen or so of the 56/12. The guy said his store was the only one in the nation to have them. I went to an outlet store same day and they had one. This guy was claiming his shop was the first to get it. Come on..an outlet store. Probably bought it from E. Watts :act-up: The club is very good looking, functional and easy to remove the face. You can not tell there is a removable face at all. At least I could not.

Back