Parent-Child Golf

I have a five year old who gets out with me every time I go by myself and my soon to be 4 yr old is ready to get started. I just hope they stick with it.

We have a son 16 yrs old. He's been playing for about three years now. It is so much fun to watch as the golf bug gets rooted deeper and deeper into his soul. He plays high school golf now, and I don't miss a match. I love to watch him play. As he improves his attitude towards course management has changed drastically. When we play together he's always picking my brain about scenarios he's come across while playing competitively. Course managemnt, ettiquette, rules, and general what if questions typically. While golfing is a game to all of us, it's so much more when you can share the time and experiences with your child.

My 2 year old son started taking an interest in golf after watching me chipping in the yard, he started to mimic me swinging the club and always wants to swing my clubs that are obviously to big for him but he didn't care he just wants to hit the ball so yesterday I got him his first set of real clubs and he is actually doing pretty good with them... I think he has a good swing for a 2 year old.

Heres a short vid of his swing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKZgHLt1okc

My 3.5 year old daughter will be headed to the course with me tonight for a little practice round. She has her new pink clubs and can't wait to head out. She has a 7 iron and a putter, should be a lot of fun. I can't wait to see what she thinks once she's actually out on the course. The backyard is much different than the course!!!

My 2 year old son started taking an interest in golf after watching me chipping in the yard, he started to mimic me swinging the club and always wants to swing my clubs that are obviously to big for him but he didn't care he just wants to hit the ball so yesterday I got him his first set of real clubs and he is actually doing pretty good with them... I think he has a good swing for a 2 year old.

Very nice! When my son was just a bit older than that I would take him to the range and stand behind him with my hands on his hands or wrists and help him make long easy swings. He loved it and has great tempo to this day.

He is now 8 and shoots in the 40's from the ladies tees. This weekend he played in a scramble tournament and won beer. Bad for him, good for me!

So I took my daughter out last night and had a riot. She still hasn't gotten the whole hitting part down, she's much more of a drag putter!!!

She even wanted me to play her ball of the tee on the par 3s so she could chip and putt!!!

I can't wait to take her out again, I figure the older she gets and the more she plays the more she'll learn if she likes it or not.

Any good experience with choice of ball for kids?

Any good experience with choice of ball for kids?

How kiddish? You start cheap and they work their way to tour balls.

Kevin

Very nice! When my son was just a bit older than that I would take him to the range and stand behind him with my hands on his hands or wrists and help him make long easy swings. He loved it and has great tempo to this day.

He is now 8 and shoots in the 40's from the ladies tees. This weekend he played in a scramble tournament and won beer. Bad for him, good for me!

A win/win. He gets the joy of winning. You get the joy of watching him win and reaping the benefits.

10 & 12 year old boys, neither swing hard. Wondered if a ladies ball or the like would compress & fly better for them.

I have a favor to ask of all you Parent's with children golfing, do any of you have a smaller stand bag I could buy? I got my daughter her first couple clubs, but now realize I need a bag her size to put them in with her glove, pink balls and pink tees. Thanks. PM with any info. If I need to start a WTB thread I will, figured I'd give this thread a shot first.

A re-post from the What Did You Buy Today forum, as I realize this was more commentary about the impending golf with my kids than the purchase:

I bought my son and daughter their first junior golf clubs today. There was a big sale going on at GS and I had an extra promo coupon so I got two 5 piece junior starter sets and matching bags for $150, delivered to my door. We are going to give them the wedge and putter now while the weather is decent and I'm going to start taking them to the putting green with me. We're saving the bag and rest of the clubs for Christmas. They've shown a lot of interest in the game and have asked me several times about playing. I hope they take to it.

I have a favor to ask of all you Parent's with children golfing, do any of you have a smaller stand bag I could buy? I got my daughter her first couple clubs, but now realize I need a bag her size to put them in with her glove, pink balls and pink tees. Thanks. PM with any info. If I need to start a WTB thread I will, figured I'd give this thread a shot first.

PM sent

I bought my son his first set today. It was a used set with a driver, an iron, a wedge and a putter. I can't wait to take him out this weekend.

Taking my 3 year old to his first group lesson on Sunday. I know I'm crazy. Funny thing is the pro said no way he'd take a kid under 5 years old until I showed him some pics like the one in my avatar. Changed his mind real quick.

Golf Smith is my personal nemesis. I don't know why I keep going back them. Okay, actually I do - they run crazy stupid deals and they have a shop near my house.

Anyway, I ordered the kid's sets on the 14th to be delivered on the 19th. No sets by the 21st so I called. No record of the transaction ... even though my CC had been charged. Ugh. Finally got that worked out but I didn't have the clubs in time to take the kids out last weekend. Bummer. Hopefully I'll have the clubs in time for this weekend.

I have two daughters, one turned 7 in August, the other 9 on October 7th. They've been to the putting green with me, and a couple weeks ago, I took them to Top Golf in Alexandria, VA... THEY HAD A BLAST!!!! They've been bugging me to go golfing ever since. Just ordered two sets of XJ12 from callawaypreowned "like new" condition. Supposed to be here on Tuesday. I'm so psyched to take them out.

I take my 2 yr old golfing all the time, she loves it! She likes to ride in the cart and she likes to putt, and she really likes to play in the sand! I have to keep an eye on here or she will be digging in the bunkers for treasure lol. There are times when I really don't even feel like going out to play golf but she harasses me until we go! This is good thought because when my wife gives me crap about golfing I can just tell her "Hey it was Kenzi's idea not mine, do you wanna deal with a ticked off 2 yr old all day?" This could really work to my adavantage! Next summer I am going to start teaching her a little more and maybe get her some lessons. The earlier she starts the quicker she will catch on hopefully

Golf Smith is my personal nemesis. I don't know why I keep going back them. Okay, actually I do - they run crazy stupid deals and they have a shop near my house.

Anyway, I ordered the kid's sets on the 14th to be delivered on the 19th. No sets by the 21st so I called. No record of the transaction ... even though my CC had been charged. Ugh. Finally got that worked out but I didn't have the clubs in time to take the kids out last weekend. Bummer. Hopefully I'll have the clubs in time for this weekend.

I hear ya, Golfsmith has really gone downhill! I used to order a bunch of stuff from them but not anymore. My wife bought me a putter last year for christmas, she ordered it the end of October and it didnt come by Chrismas. We weren't happy so she cancelled the order, it took almost two weeks to get the money back to. Fast forward to March and I get home and there is a box on my porch, I buy alot of golf stuff but I didn't remember buying anything lately. Anyway, it turned out to be the putter my wife ordered me for Christmas the previous October! They let me have it for the deal price with free shipping that my wife had originally paid so I just sent them the money and kept it. It really is buyer beware with Golfsmith nowadays.

13yr old son NO INTEREST AT ALL. POOR KID EVEN WATCHES THE JETS WITH HIS MOTHER. NOW ON TO MY 10 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. LOVES GOLF. STARTED AT 7 YRS OLD. HATES THE RANGE NOW AND ONLY WANTS TO PLAY ON THE COURSE. $8 FOR TWO BUCKETS IS ALOT BETTER THAN $27 FOR A TWILIGHT 9 FOR HER TO PRACTICE. OF COURSE A DAD CANT SAY NO TO HIS DAUGHTER. LOL. Why would I say no, watches golf, giants, Yankees and rangers with dad. Now that's a kid who loves to win!!!!! Even scored only goal yesterday to win her travel game 1-0. Proud dad smiling right now!!!!!!

Don't give up on the 13 yr old. I tried to get my kids interested in golf several times over the years to no avail. When each hit age 15 they suddenly asked to learn. Both playing on HS team now. One Sr (son) and one Jr (daughter).

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Don't give up on the 13 yr old. I tried to get my kids interested in golf several times over the years to no avail. When each hit age 15 they suddenly asked to learn. Both playing on HS team now. One Sr (son) and one Jr (daughter).

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I am def not giving up on him at all. I have never pushed either to do anything unless they wanted too. He is all about soccer right now and very good at it. Fingers crossed he takes to it one day. Its a great father son time like I had with my dad. I left the sport of golf for about 15 yrs myself and now im back, bigger love for golf than ever now!!!!

today was hs regionals held at our course
a ton of kids were there and some of them swipe lumber
one kid was hitting it so pure it was crazy... the sound and the ball flight was wow

Girls love to be together. Get your girls into an LPGA girls golf club. The idea behind the club is fun and light on competitive play. The recipe for girls to keep playing golf is having friends in golf.

today was hs regionals held at our course
a ton of kids were there and some of them swipe lumber
one kid was hitting it so pure it was crazy... the sound and the ball flight was wow

dude, one time we played with this little 11 year old, he scored a 73 at my home course, he's a beast!

Back