The lower back pain thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what I did in my sleep last night but it feels like my spine has relocated down to my hamstrings. Normally if I have any back pain it's upper back stemming from some old injuries.

Skimmed the thread, but has anyone seen good results with massage therapy? I've got a gift card to massage envy I was saving for after my hiking trip in Sept.

Not sure what I did in my sleep last night but it feels like my spine has relocated down to my hamstrings. Normally if I have any back pain it's upper back stemming from some old injuries.

Skimmed the thread, but has anyone seen good results with massage therapy? I've got a gift card to massage envy I was saving for after my hiking trip in Sept.

Do you have tightness in the back of your hamstrings? Line a sinewy taut line?

Do you have tightness in the back of your hamstrings? Line a sinewy taut line?

None at all, just a sharp radiating pain running down my leg from the lower back.

do you have 'pins and needles' too?

None at all, just a sharp radiating pain running down my leg from the lower back.

SW - I was diagnosed with Piriformis Syndrome by my orthopedic doctor earlier this year. Do a google and read the symptoms. At first I thought I had a pulled muscle in my low back/buttock area. My pain was pretty bad and it radiated down my leg. I even had numbness. I still have problems with it but found some great stretch exercises on YouTube that have really helped a lot.

As for your question about massage, I would think it would help a lot. I had two deep massages when I was really hurting and it gave me a good bit of relief.

do you have 'pins and needles' too?

Not so much, there is the occasional sharp pain but it's nothing constant. More of a dull "i'm still here" pain.

SW - I was diagnosed with Piriformis Syndrome by my orthopedic doctor earlier this year. Do a google and read the symptoms. At first I thought I had a pulled muscle in my low back/buttock area. My pain was pretty bad and it radiated down my leg. I even had numbness. I still have problems with it but found some great stretch exercises on YouTube that have really helped a lot.

As for your question about massage, I would think it would help a lot. I had two deep massages when I was really hurting and it gave me a good bit of relief.

Thanks KB, I do a normal stretching routine every morning/night to help with my right leg issues and general flexability. I have an appointment at the ortho tomorrow for my knee so I think after I'm gonna try thr masage. Heck it can't hurt anything :)

I have lower back pain issues as well. I have been using one of the Homedics full back shiatsu massage device that fit in a chair. It really helps me a lot, matter of fact sometimes I think it's better than...well anything you can think of that feels good.

I have tried the SHiatsu massage things. I don't like the one that looks like a seat back. My pain is just out of reach of the lowest it goes. I like this one better, I can put it right where I need it:

cp-sp20h_front.jpg
sp-20h_hero.jpg

I don't use it often, but but only occasionally.

Last edited:
If it is piriformis then it is a muscle pressing on a nerve from being too tight. That can be made more comfortable by stretching the piriformis muscle. Others say sciatica also when the piriformis presses on the sciatic nerve causing pain. If it's a disk problem google mackenzie back exercises. A lot of people get relief from them. FOLLOW THE STEPS FOR MACKENZIE DO NOT START WITH STEP 4 unless it is tolerable.

I have tried the SHiatsu massage things. I don't like the one that looks like a seat back. My pain is just out of reach of the lowest it goes. I like this one better, I can put it right where I need it:

SP-10H_A_PKGH.jpg

I don't use it often, but but only occasionally.

That looks like a good one as well. Mine is the QRM-400 it gets all the way to my tailbone.

Yesterday's round did a good number on the lower back. Hurts pretty bad today.

I am 34, and played sports all through high school and college. Over the past 10 years, I have gained a few un-needed pounds. All of the sudden, last year, my lower back and left leg started killing me. I didnt have any trauma that could have aggravated anything. I went to the Dr. He ordered an MRI, and they found bulging Lower Discs. He ended up giving me a series of Injections, they only helped for a few months. I started surfing the internet looking into what I could do to ease this pain, and found a series of stretches. I try to stretch every day now, and I have lost about 30lbs. The pain is still there some days, but much more manageable. Bottom line, Stretching, and getting your weight under control seemed like the best remedy for what I had.

Has anyone tried Pilates? Last nite in a conversation with a friend I didn't know had severe back problems he said he joined a Pilates class and it is doing wonders for his back. He was on pain killers that gave him 2 heart attacks, needless to say he's off those and tried this class. I'm going to look into it, was just curious if anyone else had heard or tried this.

I've been getting shots for my back but they don't seem to be working. 10 years ago I got a 3 shot cortisone series that worked great but the problem is back and I've recently gotten 2 shots but they aren't the same kind and don't last but a couple of weeks. I'd like to deal with the problem with out medical help if possible.

I laid down on a soccer ball a while ago and rolled it around my lower back. Hurt a little doing it, but it feels a lot better now.

I have lower back issues as well. Turns out I have a degenerating disc between L5/S1. I was told exercises like Pilates and Yoga can really help back pain because it strengthens your core muscles which helps to keep your back stable. I do find that building up your core does help your back...doesn't always stop the soreness for me esp after a round in the cold, but it does help.

Back problems and golf.

Back problems and golf.

So I went and played today. First hole I parred with all good shots and was feeling good. Second hole I took a practice swing with the driver and threw my back out. Hurts bad, had to get help to get back to the car to drive home and now I'm lying down unable to move at all.
I normally have a bad back and have to be careful when doing activity but until today I hadnt hurt it on the course.
Does anyone have similar problems and what methods or exercises do you use to help prevent it?

Merged with an existing thread.

Sorry to hear bud. The best thing you can do is rest, ice & anti-inflams for 1-2 weeks. For me, stretching and core exercises have helped tremendously. No more heavy weight lifting either, which I don't mind since bulk doesn't help for flexibility in the golf swing.

It doesn't hurt to visit an orthopedic doc and get an MRI to see what's going on. Physical therapy is where I learned how to properly stretch & core exercises. I've been pain free for 4 years.

Been there. Never had the back go out while playing golf, but I've had situations where my back would go out and I'm basically useless for 2-3 days. Normal everyday tasks become much more difficult. I would definitely get it checked out first to see if there are any disc or spinal issues. Like Canes suggests, stretching is always good and some type of core exercises can help stabilize your body...ie: yoga, pilates, etc.

I'm pretty certain it is muscular as its in my upper back and it started spasming later in the day. Ended up having to take NSAIDs and Valium to calm it down. It's bearable pain now. Thinking back I tripped over something at home earlier in the day so I think that may have had something to do with it. Thanks for merging the thread too. Sorry didn't think to look for an existing thread.

I still have it no matter what I do to help correct my disc issues. I'm running out of options before my doc says no mas and recommends surgery

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I'm pretty certain it is muscular as its in my upper back and it started spasming later in the day. Ended up having to take NSAIDs and Valium to calm it down. It's bearable pain now. Thinking back I tripped over something at home earlier in the day so I think that may have had something to do with it. Thanks for merging the thread too. Sorry didn't think to look for an existing thread.

Stretching your hamstrings is particularly important with back pain (as strange as it sounds). I would caution you using valium for muscle pain, as it has no effect on muscle tone- it simply makes you sleepy and reduces anxiety. It may help you sleep, but it wont prevent potential damage the way a muscle relaxer would.

I found that practice putting is the worst on my back, but everything else has felt pretty good so far this year. But the cold weather just tightens everything up!

Spasms don't necessarily mean it's muscular-it could be nerves. I had a spinal fusion from a blown disc in May and 2 nerve bundles were impinged and they were and have been causing serious spasms while the nerves regenerate after surgery. I just got the all clear to golf again on Wednesday, but for the last few months I've been exercising with strength bands and a physio ball. The exercise has done wonders and my core and back is extremely strong and stable right now. Titleist Fitness Institute has some good online videos for stretching and some core workouts with the physio ball if anyone needs to know where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back